1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pacific Rim nations pushing ahead of U.S. in engineering

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ScottY, Aug 10, 2005.

1. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "The United States faces a crisis in engineering - the nucleus of many vital industries - that menaces its economic future.

Pacific Rim nations are graduating great numbers of engineers and threatening to seize the mantle of industrial innovation that was pivotal to making the U.S. economy globally dominant. Last year foreign nationals also won almost 60 percent of American engineering doctorates."

Full Article

I notice alot of people on this forum are engineers or in engineering related fields. Thought this might interest some of you. Actually, I've notice what the article describes during my years in college. Almost all the electrical/computer engineering graduate student TAs are from either India or China. That got me a little worry about the future of engineering field in the US. And the common conception amount young people is that engineers are not cool, they are boring and nerds. In China, being an engineer is something to be proud of. Certainly, that's not the case in here, at least not what young people think. So they are less likely to study engineering.
    What you guys think?

Scott

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I think it's a very valid worry. Toyota's recent decision to build a plant in Canada rather than Alabama, because of the lack of trained workers in the US, underlines that this is a problem right now.

However, the most common worry from my friends who are in R&D, or teach engineering or science in college, is that they can't get qualified people to teach, or work on the projects they have.

The current hurdles to get visas into the United States is keeping them from bringing "the best and the brightest" from outside of the US. US companies and universities trying to mix the best professionals from all over the world are pretty frustrated over this.

It's leading to think tanks, projects and seminars/symposiums (particularly the latter) moving to Canada, Europe, and other places outside the US.

So you end up with something of a "perfect storm" -- not generating qualified people inside the US "organically", and not being able to bring in good people from elsewhere to breed new technological business, and teach students inside the US.

3. wstander

wstander New Member

The sense that engineering is a glamourless field is not new; back in 1968 when I was in pre-engineering, some of my college classmates considered anything having to do with <ugh> labor and machinery/math was somehow distasteful. They all wanted to became 'MBAs' and not actually work for a living...

Reminds me of the commercial lately that has the guy stating "...we want to make accounts receivable exciting again..."

So people, how do we make engineering and invention 'exciting' to a bunch of students who think that 'work' is demeaning???

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Require all children to live and work on a farm for one year, preferably in a climate that gets snow. There's nothing like shoveling shit in January and August to focus one's aspirations.

5. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander\";p=\"115358)</div>
    That's easy. Show them what they have to do if they end up in sales or marketing instead. :)

6. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher\";p=\"115367)</div>
    In retrospect, doing mandatory public work projects for a summer or two would have been a good thing for me. I think I would have met folks from all walks of life in the US -- probably would have given me better people skills.

And... I might have learned how to fix things!

7. prius04

prius04 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher\";p=\"115367)</div>
    McDonalds or Burger King can do that too. Worked for my kids. In fact, the drive thru at Wendy's almost singlehandedly turned one of my kids from a B student to an A+ student.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would never encourage a student to enter the engineering profession, or any technical field. I have a B.Sc. in Computer Science (Embedded systems and RTOS) and a B.Sc. in Economics (Production and Operations Management).

That, combined with hard work, allows me to do consulting in a variety of fields. Not just industrial process control, which is good as quite frankly I'm sick of it already. I swear to God if I have to deal with one more ORP sensor I'll scream.

I doubt the U.S. and certainly Canada will ever have a strong engineering background again. The jobs are practically non-existent unless you're willing to work part time, for almost minimum wage, and no benefits.

Locally - in Winnipeg - they expect to hire ChemEng with PE certification for under $60,000 Cdn. And they fill the positions too. A lot of the engineering graduates and skilled engineers here have fled to the United States.

Along with all our good doctors too.

Long term this is troubling and I believe we will experience many economic repercussions.