1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

package 0 but the lady lusts for an mp3/ipod player...advice?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by tigressa, May 9, 2007.

1. tigressa

tigressa New Member

hi everyone......i'm in the final stretch here of buying a prius sometime before the week is out...originally i went into the game looking for a package #2 and was just about to buy one at my local dealership...the price was okay, but not terrific ($22000 before T,L,etc) and they wouldn't wiggle on it at all...

then a curve ball came in the form of a more distant dealership that had one single package 0 available that i could get for $20500 before T,L, etc... so i'm really tempted (and they don't have a package #2 remaining on the lot right now so i couldn't even get that immediately from them, it would have to be the #0 if i want it this week)...

anyway, i've come to see i don't actually care about the smart key or the back-up camera in the #2..or even the vehicle stabilization....but i was sooo looking forward to having that dang ipod jack and mp3 player!...i have this ridiculous "monster" hookup for my ipod in my current acura that i got for $79 at the apple store that is a piece of JUNK...it never can interface with the stations properly so it constantly loses power and is filled with static...so i hardly ever use it..

i couldn't wait to finally be able to play my mp3s and ipod in the car...but isn't that a crazy reason to pay $1500 extra for a package 2? (comparing my two dealership offers...)

but wait a minute! can't i just go buy the package #0 and have the ipod jack and mp3 player installed aftermarket somewhere? PLEASE ADVISE...i'm making the decision today if i go with the package 0...

also, i'm figuring most people with the 0 package get a car alarm installed since it doesn't have the same security?

thanks for your help! glad to find you all!

2. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tigressa @ May 9 2007, 08:33 AM) [snapback]438170[/snapback]</div>
    Hi and welcome and congrats on your decision to purchase a Prius!

You could install yourself, very easily, a Vais Tech iPod unit. This unit would allow you to play your iPod through your existing car stereo speakers, plus keep your steering wheel controls. Do some research here about the install, I did it and it is very easy. Here is a link to their site:

http://www.vaistech.com/

You would want the SLI version.

3. tigressa

tigressa New Member

thank you so much! do you also know a good reference for installing an mp3 player as well? i'm thinking this really may just be the way to go!

4. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tigressa @ May 9 2007, 05:33 AM) [snapback]438170[/snapback]</div>
    All I can say is that if you ever get a car with smart key you will never want another car that doesn't have it. I love it.

5. priusFTW

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tigressa @ May 9 2007, 09:01 AM) [snapback]438176[/snapback]</div>
    Do you mean another mp3 player besides the iPod? If you do, then you can simply plug it into the aux in jacks on the vais sli unit. When you use the aux in jacks, you do not get to control anything but the vol on the steering wheel. All control reverts back to whatever mp3, satellite receiver, or whatever you plug into it.

The other 2 ports on the vais sli are specifice to various brands of iPod ONLY. All controls will be from the steering wheel or head unit/MFD and you will be able to see playlists and their contents via the MFD screen. If you choose to, you can easily program the iPod only ports to behave in "simple mode". In simple mode, all controls revert back to the iPod. You can however control the vol on the steering wheel.

Also the iPod is charged too automatically from when it is powered on.

6. 1x1

1x1 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Maybe get a FM transmitter for the iPod and pick up the signal on the radio? 20 bucks or so....

7. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ May 9 2007, 05:47 AM) [snapback]438173[/snapback]</div>

Or a DICE iPod kit

http://priuschat.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/66

*cough* 1/2 as much and it does more *cough*

8. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OlsonBW @ May 9 2007, 10:16 AM) [snapback]438245[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. Whether it's worth the money to you or not is of course your call, but not having to fish my keys out of my bag on the way to the car (especially if it's late, or a dark parking lot, or I'm just feeling skittish) is awesome and one of my favorite 'everyday' features of the car.

I figure I'll keep the car ten years easily...that's $150/year, or...what...like, $12/month...that's $0.40/day...uh oh...that's a lot of money to spend just so I don't have to take my car keys out...!!
    [scratching my head]

I wish I hadn't thought of it this way!
    [smile]

9. tigressa

tigressa New Member

well, you guys are great! you really influenced me about the smart key...in the end it really only came down to $500 difference to have the package #2 (the blue pearl color) over the basic level so i went for it... thanks so much for all the input...and i think i'll be happy to have that ipod/mp3 connection also without the trouble of putting it in myself. maybe i'll even come to appreciate the virtues of vehicle stabilization...

i have to say, and i know this sounds really corny and ridiculous, i cried when i finally drove the car home from the dealership. what a frickin' beautiful, amazing car. i can see how you can't go back to "normal" ones after this)...

thanks again.

hey, while i'm at it...have most of you added an additional alarm to the package #1 or #2...the dealer was saying it doesn't have an alarm officially but didn't actually need one because of the engine lock...but i was saying what about the contents of the car (like my highly valuable , extremely tattered and sweat-encrusted yoga mat) getting stolen?

any advice?

10. priusFTW

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tigressa @ May 10 2007, 08:13 AM) [snapback]438975[/snapback]</div>
    Oh very nice choice I think you will be happy with your decision. I love the smartkey system you have no idea how convient it is until you have one. I just wanted to mention about the aux in jack that is built in so that you are perfectly clear. You can use that jack and the mp3 player will play through your stereo speakers, however you will not have any steering wheel controls, other than the volume. The controls remain at the device, whatever it is, iPod sat receiver etc.

Great to hear about your purchase!

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I haven't added any alarms. A glass breakage alarm is an option. The car is harder to steal so it hasn't been a target.