1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Package #2 Alarm Problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Liesl RK, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Liesl RK

Liesl RK New Member

Well, my worst fears about getting a car alarm have been realized -- the thing goes off from the most innocuous of actions, and I don't understand why. I was given no literature on the thing, and thought I was getting some kind of kill switch.

So far, the alarm has deployed under the following two conditions: when I press the "lock" button from the inside (MAJOR design flaw -- what if I have a two-year-old and want to keep her from opening the door on a moving car?), and when I open the passenger door from the outside.

Both of these actions seem harmless to me, and now it seems as though I can only open/lock/unlock doors under very strict conditions (which I don't understand, as there are no writtten instructions for the thing).

Is there anyone out there who understands car alarms, or at least this one? I will contact the dealer and request if there are written commandments on how one Shall open one's car door, and which buttons one Shall Not press, but I thought I'd ask here first.

This is EXACTLY why I was wary of getting an alarm.

2. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Is this an after-market alarm system? I have never heard of this problem being posted, but I also do not have an alarm other than the installed sks system. I also have pkg. #2. Maybe something new, unique to the '08's? Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I'm sure more senior posters will chime in. I know it is very frustrating to have this problem.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    For the 2007 Prius, the instructions on using the theft deterrent system is in the owners manual, Section 2-1, pages 46 - 48.

I would be surprised if it is different for the 08 model.

4. mamerica

mamerica Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It sounds like the alarm is wired wrong. Did the dealer install it? I did''t think package #2 came with one. It would be easy to make a mistake. I wired a Toyota alarm once and it was quite involved.

Let the dealer worry about it. That's why we have warranties. Enjoy your car.