1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Package 5 or 7- Advice needed for new 2006 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ned, Jul 20, 2006.

1. ned

ned Junior Member

This is my first post after reading this forum for the last year or so. I have been wanting a Prius for 3 years and have decided now is the time to purchase one since the IRS Credit is still in effect (to the best of my knowledge). I am debating between packages 5 and 7. I think the difference between the two packages are that package 7 is the same as package 5 but adds: (1) HID headlamps with integrated fog lamps, and (2) voice-activated DVD navigation system.
    I would prefer package 7 for the built in voice activated navigation system, BUT I don't know much about it, and have heard that the system is not very user friendly and not worth the extra money especially when a portable navigation system can be purchased at Best Buy, etc. (The portable Nav system can then be used in other autos besides the Prius).
    Does anyone have the Nav system who can tell me what their experience has been, and whether they advise purchasing PACKAGE 7 with the Nav. system, or OPT FOR PACKAGE 5 instead? In particular does the system let you tell it what your destination is by VOICE, or do you have to use TYPING, etc. on the touch screen to punch in your destination? Also does the system say "make a right turn at MAPLE AVE. coming up", or just "make a right turn at the NEXT STREET"?
    Any other advise on making my decision between packages 5 and 7, or some other alternate package would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ned
    July 20, 2006

2. pogo

pogo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ned @ Jul 20 2006, 09:47 AM) [snapback]289427[/snapback]</div>
    I was initially dubious to the value of the Nav system, but after my first experince with the system in my wife's RX 400H I was sold. I didn't set out to buy that option, but it's another one of those "what's available" stories. Having used it on her car, I knew I would buy it in mine.

A couple of things.

Search the keywords "voice recongnition" in this forum. the consensus is that it doesn't work that well. My experience bears this out.

WRT the touchpad -- well, it's a touch pad. I use it to enter adresses and search for businesses. It's pretty smart in that after every character you enter, it shows you only the characters that can be valid for something in its database for you next choice. (Probably doesn't make any sense as I typed it, but find one and try it and you'll see what I mean.) when you've entered enough of the address or name that there's only one entry in the data base it can match it gives you that entry. So the system tries to give you an answer in the fewest key strokes. It's not really bad -- It's not like you're going to be typing on it all day long.

WRT the voice guidance, it's not as specific as you asked about. Rather than turn right onto Maple St. it will give you "right turn in one-fourth of a mile", then when actually reach the intersection "right turn". It's also adaptive. If you miss the turn, it will immediately calculate a new route for you based on your current location and direction and start guiding you from there.

I can't compare it to the Garmin and Tom Tom portables, since I have no experience with them. Some one here may be able to tell you.

It's a chunk of money, but for me it's worth it. There are a lot of places in Tucson (most cities for that matter) that aren't that easy to find if you've never been there before.

3. bbielek

bbielek New Member

I have both Garmin and Lowrance portable units in other vehicles. Each of the three have strengths and weaknesses, but the system in the Prius is certainly acceptable, has some nice features, and is fully integrated (no extra wires hanging around). I haven't had a great deal of difficulty with the voice activation, it seems to understand me, but I'm sure that it depends on how clearly you annunciate and how well your regional accent matches the program.

4. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was also debating the 5 & 7 package. Considered a 6 also. Finally decided on the 7. I am glad I did. I really like the Nav system. I have not had any problem with the voice recognition. As stated above if you annunciate and speak clearly, it works fine. The POI (points of interest) section will find restaurants, gas, landmarks etc. for you. Even breaks the restaurants down by type cuisine (American, Chinese, etc.).
    I use the telephone voice commands and Nav daily and really like the system. You can also control the climate and stereo by voice command. This is my first navigation system, so I have nothing to compare to, but I find this one very user friendly if you READ THE OWNERS MANUAL.

5. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Howdy ned...

You might want to look at this link:

http://www.lexus.com/models/es/interior.html#dvd

This is the Lexus NAV system online DVD - same system as in the Prius except that the newest display (MFD = Multi-Function Display) has better resolution. This demo will give you a fairly good idea of how the NAV system works. The only difference other than the better display is that some of the control buttons are located in different positions on the Prius.

I am happy with the NAV System, although it does have its peculiarities. It appears to spot my current position within 50' or so and functions on a combination of satellite references and dead reckoning. Insofar as the "voice activated" commands, they are sometimes funky, but overall prove useful. It does take a bit of "learning" to use them and such things as chatting passengers and even road noise will confuse the NAV lady. I named my Prius "Ernestine" after Lili Tomlin's telephone operator character because of the sometimes strange responses I get to verbal commands... like I will say: "Go Home" and she sometimes replies "Showing Post Office Icons" or some other totally innane response. This, however is not the rule.

The NAV system's displayed information is accurate and you can select several map scales to show whatever detail you prefer at the time. You can also specify whether to "allow" Freeways, Toll Roads, Ferries, etc. when mapping a destination and the verbal guidance works quite well. I also note that should you decide to deviate from the mapped route, the NAV system will adjust to your change within a few hundred feet or less.

It's not perfect... but especially in established cities quite complete and accurate. Toyota has also provided for map updates usually available annually - but at about $300 for the DVD which is housed in a reader under the driver's seat and easily changed out.

So.... there's my 2¢ worth.

6. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In my opinion the nav system in package 7 is not worth the price.

I have a Garmin Quest that I got for around $300 and I can use it in multiple cars (like in rentals when I travel).

Either way, go order your car now! :D

7. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The voice recognition can be a bit dicey at times... although i've found for the most part that it does what i tell it to do.

I think the best example of this was when i had one of my fraternity brothers in the car this past spring. i was showing it off a little, and he hit the button and commanded "Make me a sandwich", which of course the car didn't understand. A fwe minutes later he asked me if i had given the car a name yet (i only had it for about a week at that point), i said no, so he reached over, pushed the button, and said "Name yourself", at which point it promptly displayed all mexican restaurants in the area.

So, it's clearly not all knowing or perfect, but when i say "detour" or "i'm hungry", it knows what i mean and gives me what i want.

8. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jul 20 2006, 03:44 PM) [snapback]289528[/snapback]</div>
    That's funny - So what did you name it?

9. eanda9000

eanda9000 New Member

I have to say, the new verizon cell phones(the V9000 in my case) with vz navigator trump all existing nav technologies with one exception, you must have a cellular connection for it to work. You all ways have it in your pocket, the cost is low (it is a service), maps are included and very up to date, and the functionality is tops. This is the future of nav.

I just completed a two week trip in CA all by road and it was nearly flawless. The fact that it can speak directions which include street names is amazing. You need to pay 700+ and have extra equiptment with a gps unit.

Also, I use vcast videos to watch the cobert report when stuck in traffic or at lights. They are usually between 2 and 3 minutes in length with is perfect. Go with package 5 and get a state of the art cell phone for $200. You are going to save thousands and have more cool stuff.

10. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I love the built-in look of the prius nav system and GPS isn't somthing I can live without. I'm glad I got it. It's also faster and slightly more accurate then my g.f's garmin. A big plus is that in tunnels it uses a compass and your speed to pretty accuratley keep track of what you are.

As for cell phone systems. They are lacking at best. You have to have cell phone reception and even with several base station connected they still have to guess a lot more of where you actually are. While cool as a gadget thing it's not really what I want in my car. I want a large map that can show me not only how far to next turn but that will show me on the map what other roads are coming up etc.

11. davidf

davidf New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ned @ Jul 20 2006, 09:47 AM) [snapback]289427[/snapback]</div>
    I've got the Nav system, and have been very happy with it. Whether it's worth thousands of dollars when you can get a Garmin unit for <$1000 is arguable, of course.

For me, it was worth it. I have a Magellan add-on unit that works well, but I like having the integrated system, the voice commands, and the dead-reckoning (it tracks your movement via the car even if you haven't tracked onto satellites yet). I like this because it means the system is always available and knows where you are. If I'm looking for an address or get lost, I don't have to wait for it to find satellites before I can find a path out -- it's always ready to go.

For basic functionality (beyond the dead reckoning and voice), it has most of the features I've seen in portable units -- multiple map views, turn-by-turn instructions, and automatic re-routing. It has a few features I haven't seen elsewhere, but doesn't have others I have seen. All in all, though, certainly comparable with portable units.

I haven't had as much problem with the voice recognition. Sure, it doesn't get it all the time, but it seems to understand most of the time. I found it fairly easy to adapt to its words and such. Wouldn't surprise me if male voices worked better than female (because of the lower voice).

You can enter an address by voice -- use "Address", then specify the state, city, street, and number. It works surprisingly well, and can be done as you're driving. It even understood cities like Clatskanie and Issaquah. You can also have it memorize locations ("way points" in old technology), but you are limited as to what can be input into a moving vehicle.

The system also ties into the bluetooth hands-free, allowing most points of interest (POIs) to have phone numbers that you can call from the system. You can even look up POIs based on phone numbers.

IMHO, the extra cost was worth it, but it's definately a luxury item. I suspect most people that buy it are glad they did, but you've got to decide for yourself whether the extra $ really makes sense. It's kinda like spending extra money on a hybrid -- knowing that you won't make it back just by gas savings -- but deciding the intangable benefits make it worth it. I'm glad I bought a hybrid, and likewise glad I got the built-in Nav. I certainly haven't looked back and regretted it.

Good luck.

David

12. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I got the package #5 in silver pine mica 5 days ago and I'm ABSOLUTELY EXHILERATED WITH MY PRIUS !!!!
    I had heard the fog lights sucked, and the Nav system isnt as good as one you can buy and transport from car to car. As fellow member "eanda9000" said above, just get a state of the art cell phone and package #5 and you'll have all you will need.

But regardless, just do it!!! you must take delivery before september to take advantage of the tax credit, so dont delay too long........ Welcome and happy driving !!!!!!!!!!!!!! B) B)

13. tacomel

tacomel New Member

Since I own a #5 and a #7, I couldn't pass by this one without posting.

The navigation system is, in my opinion, so-so, and less capable than some of the portable units. Not being able to use most features while moving (without a hardware override) is annoying. With that said, the navigation system has come in handy many times. I'm fairly good with directions but my wife can get turned around, so it's been great for her.

If I had it all to do over again, I'd get a #6 instead of the #5. Having driven both cars at night, there is a noticable difference between the headlights, and one I would pay a few extra bucks for. When going out at night, I take the #7 for this reason, if it's available of course. Depending on your region, if there are #6 available, you might get one faster if you put this on your list of packages you're OK with. (When we first were shopping, we were like -- $400 extra for fancy headlights, no thanks. I now realize this was wrong thinking.)

So to sum this up -- for general driving, to and from work, around town, etc., the #5 is great. But, when we go out at night or go out of town, we take the #7, as that's the car we personally prefer.

14. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Taco Mel @ Jul 20 2006, 05:40 PM) [snapback]289606[/snapback]</div>

TacoMel: do you know if I can upgrade my headlights on my #5?? is it as simple as changing bulbs?? (cant be that easy) :rolleyes: (thanks)

15. tacomel

tacomel New Member

Rangerdavid, I'm going to say no, you can't upgrade them.

Yes, you could probably upgrade them. It's not just a headlight swap, though, because there are other components to the HID system (ballasts and such) that aren't there in the halogen system. Also the bright vs. low beams are controlled by a mechanical flipper that isn't there in the halogen setup. I'm sure others understand the technical differences between halogens and HID's much better than I do, so I'm not going to speculate further as to what you'd have to do or how much it would cost -- I'm just going to say that it's non-trivial and leave it there.

Having driven the Prius with both the default halogen bulbs and the HID bulbs, and there is a noticable difference that I would (in retrospect) pay the difference between the #6 and #5 for. But if you do get the #5, you'll still see just fine at night.

16. clifford

clifford Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ned @ Jul 20 2006, 11:47 AM) [snapback]289427[/snapback]</div>

17. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I vote for Package 7 as well. I had wanted a package 3, then a package 6, but when the 7 came available I bit the bullet. It was well worth it. The NAV works good enough for me and the size of the screen is so much larger then the aftermarket ones.

I love mine!

18. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Don't get the NAV. :( I have used many many NAV system's mostly portable and as a RE Appraiser I use them a lot. The Prius NAV is not worth the money although it sometimes does do the job. One problem I have is the completeness of the data and the cost to update each year.

Wildkow

19. fphinney

fphinney Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ned @ Jul 20 2006, 11:47 AM) [snapback]289427[/snapback]</div>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ned -

Glad to welcome you to the happy and growing ranks of Prius owners!

We took delivery on 6/15/06 of a #7. Had seats switched to leather, to make the wife happy. To say that we are thrilled is an UNDERSTATEMENT! The NAV is absolutley amazing. Can't imagine anything else as superior.

The HID headleights are a godsend for the wife. She hates driving at night, because her eyesight is not that great. Two nights ago, she had go to a meeting. When she got home, I thought she'd never shutup about how great those whatch-ma-callit headlights were!

In summation, I think that if you go for the #5, and then later have a chance to experience a #7, you will kick yourself. Good luck -

20. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In over two years of looking at posts on Yahoo and Priuschat, I hear of very few people who regret having bought the nav. Even if they didn't originally want it (i.e. a car came in to their dealer and they grabbed it no matter what it was), most are thrilled that they upgraded to a loaded model.

However, a great many people (myself included) are very glad we DIDN'T get the nav for one reason or another. The integrated system (with voice command capability for everything) is a really cool idea, there are no extra wires, you don't have to hide it for fear of being stolen, it has a bigger screen, etc. On the downside, the maps don't seem to be as accurate as handheld units, the upgrades are expensive, you can't take it into another car, etc.

If you can easily afford the car with nav, you will most likely love it and be glad that you got it.

Edited to add that I think many of the people who are disappointed with the nav in the Prius have used portable nav systems in the past and the Prius system doesn't compare well. Nav is great for many people, so maybe your decision needs to be (a) expensive integrated less accurate system or ( b ) cheaper portable more accurate system with wires