1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Package 6 Versus 8

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by synth, Jan 19, 2006.

1. synth

synth Junior Member

I am looking for my Prius and really like the idea and the (mostly) positive feedback I've read on the Voice Nav in the Package 7. Unfortunately, finding one here in Southern CA seems to be difficult. I have several dealers offer the 6 or the 8 so I put it to the Masters;
    Is the bump up to an 8 worth the markup just to get leather (which I don't need) in order to get the voice Nav or should I drop to a 6?
    Of course ideally I'd love to hear from someone who knew where a Black 7 could be found.
    Thanks in advance for your input.

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had a similar experience here in NE. Couldn't seem to find a #7 with the right color. While talking back and forth with the dealer he gave me $500 rebate on the leather do I ended up $500 under MSRP.... That said he took about 300 of it back on the trade in so he didn't loose that much for that long....

For me having leather seats is nice but not wirth $1100 so getting them for $600 was nice (and in line with how I value them). So I went for the #8 to not have to wait. The dealer showed me the incoming list for the next month and had no #7 on that list (that wasn't taken).

I hope to pick it up next week. It should be in NY today (waiting to hear from dealer)

3. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I have a black #7. I got it in WI though. Also a dealer in OH had one he called me about after I got mine already.

I say go for Package #8. The navigation is worth it I think!

Whats a Prius without ALL the cool toys in it? Just MY opinion and I was at once saying I wanted Package #1. I felt I desrved all the cool toys in it!

I wasn't sorry I went to #7. I would probably regretted not doing so!

Edited to add: If package #7 wasn't available to me I'm sure I would have went to package #8 (or traveled for a #7)

4. minime

minime New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The navigation package is nice, but my guess is that 90 percent of the time you really don't need it. I have it and I really like it but if I was strapped for $$$, I would not have bought it.

5. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree, if money was my main concern then I would get the cheapest package with the stability control in it and stay there (I think the is #4). The rest is over priced gizmos that you will stop using after about a month.... that said I love gizmos (esp. bluetooth and the Nav)

6. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Yeah but what if you pass on all the gizmos and later want them? It would be more expensive to buy them after the fact and they wouldn't be part of the car.

7. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    True and if you never had the gizmos then you would never get to the "I'm bored" stahe and always dream about them.

I made a list of things I wanted in a car. Automatic Climate Control, bluetooth integration and hands-free phone, memory seats, automatic diming rearview mirror, premium sound and nav system. For the price the Prius offered the most for less money though I had to skip on memory seats or even comfortable seats as well as on a somewhat whimpy JBL system.

But I also started by looking at more expensive cars and overlooked the prius (for the highlander hybrid and lexus). If I where younger or planned to not keep the car for at least 120.000 miles (~6-7 years) I would probably stop after package #4

8. justinc

justinc New Member

I opted to get a package #6 to save the $2K. However, just last week, I purchased a portable navigation (Magellan 760). I like being able to swap the navi out and place it in whichever car I am driving. Package #6 for me has most of the everyday functions that I need. (bluetooth, HID's, etc.) Good luck with your decision.

Justinc

9. robw95

robw95 Junior Member

If you really don't care about leather, then I would go for the package 6. I bought an '06 package 8 and don't get me wrong I love my car but I think the nav is overrated. You can't input an address while driving which kind of defeats the purpose and the voice activation is highly unreliable. While it is cool to show your friends that you can set the temperature thru a voice command the reality is it's just a gimmick and it's just as easy to do it thru the touch screen and how often do you do it anyway. The bluetooth is overrated as well and if you don't use a cell phone in the car that much. I got the package 8 because I wanted leather and didn't know about the peculiar nature of the nav and bluetooth. If I had to do it over again I'd get a 6 or even a 3 and add aftermarket leather.

10. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

That was my thinking too. I plan to keep my Prius for a long time! So I would rather get all I wanted upfront and not want to add them later on. You know things do change. I checked on installing a naviagtion system in a car and they wanted 2,400!

This why if I have everything now I'm all set!

11. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

And I wanted the navigation system to be part of my car.

12. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I personally don't agree with this for the following reasons:

1: I normally input the address at the start of the trip as I get into the car and then drive to the destination.
    2: I don't think it's safe to enter an addres while you are driving. I think this is a lot worse then even speaking on the phone. It will require to much of your attention (and while I'm good enough to do it I don't want the idoit next to me to be fiddling with his nav system while going down the freeway j/k! ;-))

13. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Ooooooo... LEATHER. How can you NOT care about LEATHER. It's so... leather-like. There's nothing else like it. Wonderful, comfortable, wears-like-iron leather.

Or go for the pkg 6. Read my sig and you know MY choice!

14. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Oh wow you just picked up your Prius today huh?!!

15. synth

synth Junior Member

I love you guys!
    Thanks for all the replies. Yeah I agree with the thought that having the addons added in up front is better. I like the integration and minmization of warrenty issues. Also let's face it, I'm not just buying this for the planet. I'm buying it for me and I spend a lot of time in the car so I want as sweet a ride as possible.
    The bump on leather is high. Especially for the quality, but to drop to P6 and lose nav, bluetooth, etc just doesn't feel right. I am ready to buy so I just have to find a dealer who wants to work with me on the pricing a little bit. I am going about 800 miles outside my zone in central SoCalif in order to cast as wide a net as possible so if anyone hears of a great deal let me know!!

16. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree that the only reason for not getting all the whistles is if your keeping it as a temp.

But who does that?.. Once you've gone to a prius, your ruin't.. where else can you go to except a later model? Everything else is just boring.... even if you have a car that will do 0 to 60 in 4 seconds.... what will be of little use and the fun will wear thin soon after you pay your ticket!

I feel that value is measured by quality plus service plus time.

If you are going to have this car for a while..... even if you don't use all the feature very often... they will be there for you for a long long time!..... you'll never regret it!..

It makes the hidden things about the prius come alive!
    There are few luxury cars that will be able to rival all the toys the prius has!... Mainly because even if they did have all this installed, they have nothing to tell,, they are just a car? :lol:

And any problems you have read about the audio on the NAV is believed to have been solved by a special procedure where you can access hidden menus and turn up the mic gain so the Nav can hear your commands better.

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The leather is only 1100.00 and the quality is nice.... if you want your seats to still look brand new 5 years from now... get leather.

The cleanup is rediculously easy compared to anything else.

18. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I'm perfectly happy with my #2.
    I would have preferred a #4 or #3 but had no interest at all in the higher packages.
    I don't have any plans to ever sell Megumi.
    To each his own.

19. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

See... you answered your own question.... I think the Prius III probably due in a year or two will make our Prius II feel old.... maybe not for the features but for the improved FE and EV mode... I'm really hoping/wishing for a true EV mode of say 25-30 miles through new battery technology and of course that would enable plug-in with a charge time of a couple of hours.... that would make me sell in a hart beat!

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Ah.. but it wasn't my question.....

I don't really expect any major improvements for a while except in the realm of city driving for a while.