1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

package explanation & tenting windows, Pruis v (lowercase v)

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by JJ67, Mar 10, 2012.

1. JJ67

JJ67 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Am looking to buy a v (lowercaes v for the Prius v wagon). Would like the five package but do not want moonroof or upgrade Nav. Is that possible? A link to where the restrictions for this package ( five) would be great and/or all the packages. Have heard conflicting info.
    Also, is it possible to have the windows tinted on the v (lowercaes v for the Prius v wagon)? Have heard that it effects the nav system.
    Thanks,
    JJ67

2. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The ATP is optional, not a requirement for the Five Trim. You can get it without any problem. It is just in order to get ATP, you have to have a the Five Trim. Since you are in Los Angeles, it is simply just that.

As for Tint, California Tint Laws require that the windshield only has a max of 4" tinting at the top, the Driver side and Driver's Passenger (Front side windows) be no darker than to allow 70% visible light. The rest of the windows can be as dark as you want, but cannot use metallic reflecting tint. My car has after market tinting, and the nav system is not affected by the tinting. Technically, tinting should not affect GPS signal.

For more information - http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/

3. JJ67

JJ67 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks, that was exactly the info I need. Any recommendations regarding the five trim or anything else? Is the ATP worth the added expense? Do the larger wheels provide a more comfortable ride?
    Thanks again for your help
    JJ

4. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I believe the 17" wheels are included in the standard 5 Trim. People stated that you actually get a better MPG and ride with the 16" because the 17" adds a bit more weight and not enough tire, but I don't really notice the difference.

To be honest, is the ATP worth the added expense... For some, no. If you don't want the possible XM Sirius Satellite, the larger Nav display, moonroof, Advance Parking Guidance System, or the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control... Or the Safety Connect... It may not be worth the extra 5k to spend.

I bought it mostly cause I did want tht DRCC, APGS (For the craptastic times of needing to parallel park) and the moonroof.

5. JJ67

JJ67 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks again, you've been a big help.
    The driving tips link is great especially coming from a Infiniti FX 45, will need to learn how to adjust my driving.

JJ

6. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Catgic also notes that in some ways, you can also apply some of the driving tips with your current car. The only draw back is that most of the other cars do not give you 'feedback' with regards to what you are doing like you do with the Prius vehicle. Know from experience that I would do some of the stuff with my old car, where I know riding the brake is bad for you on highways when you see traffic is slowing down, you should try and coast... and I do a little coast in on some roads because there was no reason to apply gas as I had momentum.

So you can apply some of it while you are still driving your current car to get a feel and see if you improve on your MPG on your current car.

7. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We have both a v3 and v5 without the ATP. I wanted parts of the ATP but couldn't justify the extra money so went without. Sticker price (msrp) on a 5 without the ATP will be in the $31k range depending on dealer and port options installed and about $36k for with ATP. That may help you as you look around.

I don't notice much difference between the two other than the seat material and smart key option 1 door on the 3, 3 door on the 5. The ride seems to be the same to my posterior and gas mileage appears similar since we do have a friendly contest going. =)
    W

8. Osteoblast

Osteoblast Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Laser cruise control is one of those things you don't truly appreciate until you get a car with it. Then every car from then on has to have it! The moonroof really helps open an otherwise claustrophobic feeling I get sometimes in this car and the blackout looks cool. No regrets on ATP AT ALL.....

9. JJ67

JJ67 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the info, all helps, hope to pull the trigger this week. Plan to get the Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) five trim, no moonroof,no ATP, we'll see how it goes.
    If anything else comes to mind, please feel free to send it on, all advice would be welcomed.
    Thanks again to all of you
    JJ

10. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Only other advice is to check Truecar.com for pricing info. It helped me get our price down. It seems the Prius family is a bit cheaper on the west coast. W