1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Package V Question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ern1976, Aug 6, 2010.

1. ern1976

ern1976 E Nyce

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a 2010 with Package V. I am curious to see what the difference if any is between the Package 4 and 5 as far as the suspension goes? I feel like the 17's on my car make it more bouncy than I prefer, and was considering going to the regular wheels and more eco oriented tires.

Am I going to waste money in doing the switch, because the V comes with stiffer suspension etc etc etc.....

2. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wish I was in PA, I'd swap with you and not charge you a dime! I think the suspension is the same on all Prius Models for 2010.

3. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    1, No such thing as package V. There's trim V and it's just called a Prius V (Prius Five) If it is a package, I would have bought a Prius II and get the package V and save some money.
    2, II III IV and V have the same suspension. The only difference is the V has 17" wheels and different steering ratio and wider turning radius to accumulate the wider rims/tires. The
    3, The V suspension feels stiffer because the 17" tires have less sidewall to flex. The V's 17" rims are highly sought after rims. Don't just give them away or trade them for smaller size.

4. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct. There are however different parts numbers for 2010 struts, etc however it has *nothing* to do with wheel size, despite popular belief by some folks here. The part numbers are for which country the car is being made for. Some other countries get a "rough road package" whatever that is. lol

5. ern1976

ern1976 E Nyce

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I stand corrected, I know better than that too, sorry for the bad wording.

Anyway, I just looked at the non 17" wheels and threw up in my mouth. I think I will keep mine. I guess I will need to change the tires to be a little less performance and more "touring" to them. Any suggestions......? Will all 17" tires have a low sidewall, therefore not fix my complaint anyway.

Thanks for all the input!

6. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I did say that the suspensions are the same across the board. The steering ratio and radius are different for the V.
    All 17's will give you low profile look. You can try 195/50/17 but the sidewall height is the same as the stock 215/45/17. You can try a tad under-inflating the tires but then your mileage will drop.
    Check out this tire size calculator
    II III IV = 195/65/15
    V = 215/45/17

7. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Explain more please. From the folks that i have talked to, the Prius V has different parts number for BOTH shocks and springs, as compared to other Prius (II-IV). And YES, the different parts number depends ON TIRE SIZE. 17" RIMS Prius (V) have different shocks AND springs than the other Prius with 15" rims.

How can you state what you just wrote when it is clear that the different shocks/springs do actually depend on rim size?? I don't understand your post. Parts number for which country the car is made for? What does that even mean?? If the suspension has the same parts, then it should have the same parts number. What does country of destination have anything to do with the parts number?

For those that are still skeptical, please call your local Toyota parts department and ask about the parts number for the shocks and springs. They will tell you that there are TWO parts number for each shock and spring depending on rim size. So, all Prius II-IV have one set of shocks and springs...and Prius V have a DIFFERENT set of shocks and springs.

Josh, i would love to hear more about your reasoning because i don't understand your post. Where did you get your explanation from?

8. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You could try and run the tires at a lower pressure... or swap out to tires with less aggressive ratio. Instead of the 215/45 17's, use 205/50 17s. The 205/50s might throw your speedometer off a bit, but overall diameter and revs/mile are actually closer to the stock 15s than the 215/45s.
    Tire size calculator

9. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    For me, i find that my Prius V ride is near perfect...perfect blend of comfy and sport. Of course, my previous cars were not exactly Buicks...so, my viewpoint may be different. Have you checked the tire pressure? It may be overinflated by the dealer. I keep mine at recommended pressure.

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A Freudian slip?

11. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hahaha...nice pickup...ooopppss.

12. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    After 2 days of thinking about your post, it still does not make any sense.

Both the V and II-IV are for North America. Now, if you're saying that the II-IV are USA and V is solely for Mexico, then yeah, i understand...II-IV has the USA suspension, while the V has the "rough road" suspension for Mexico. But, even with that explanation, it still proves my point that the V has UNIQUE suspension as compared to the II-IV Priuses. In addition, Prius V is imported to US as is the II, III, and IV.

We all heard that all Prius have the same suspension. Your explanation does not make sense at all! Do you understand why now?? So, those that come to the USA should have the same parts number if they have the same suspension. Period. Other countries may have different parts number because their suspension is tuned differently (for rough road, for instance). There is no rough rough suspension in any of the USA imports. There is supposedly just ONE suspension for all USA Prius. YET, there are two different set of shocks and springs BASED SOLELY ON RIM SIZE........NOT location of vehicle, NOT on road surface condition, NOT on country of destination. The parts computer CLEARLY states this.

Josh, think again about what you just wrote...and you will see that the explanation you wrote holds absolutely no water. It does not make sense. You have access to the computer...YOU KNOW WHAT I SAY IS TRUE. The computer CLEARLY says that the parts number for the shocks are springs are SOLELY DEPENDENT ON RIM SIZE. It says it clearly...because i have seen it!!

Where do you even get your info from? Tell me where and i can ask my dealers about it.

13. pixelmixer

pixelmixer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Prius V steering gear is specific to the V. Apparently the front suspension is different in additional areas to correctly accommodate the 17" wheels.

14. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yeah, cool...did not know that. Still, it does not explain the specific shocks and springs that the V has.

15. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is funny...when i PM Josh to ask him POLITELY to give a clearer explanation and source of his statements, this is what i got back: (for forum decency, i will only post part of his response!)

"ALL 3RD GEN PRIUS HAVE SAME SUSPENSION SETUP REGARDLESS OF PACKAGE OR WHEEL SIZE, THE ONLY VARIATION IS THE COUNTRY THE CAR WILL BE SOLD IN. Is that clear enough for you?? :D"
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Now, Josh, show me where you saw that the variation is in the country the car is sold. Easy enough request. Show me where and i can confirm it with my parts guy. Not so long ago, YOU admitted that THERE ARE suspension differences with the V due to the rim size, AFTER YOU asked the parts department...so, what changed your mind, Josh??

What does the variation in the "country that the car is sold in" have to do with parts number differences b/w II-IV and V?? II-IV and V are sold here...same location, same country, same dealership even! Thus, they should have the same parts number, right based on your logic? Again, i understand that parts number may differ for a Prius headed for Korea vs. US. But, why does a Prius V and a Prius III in the US of A have different parts number for shocks and springs?? Again, the parts dept computer clearly shows that these parts are based on rim size, NOT country of importation.

16. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have gleaned the following information mostly from posts by the Prius Team and some people who attended the introduction of the Gen3 and talked to Toyota engineers. It is correct to the best of my knowledge but some of the sources are a bit hard to find so take it with a grain of salt. :)

The steering rack and pinion are different on the V due to the different steering ratio (1 turn lock to lock less), the V also uses a newer more powerful brushless steering motor. The more powerful steering motor was deemed necessary due to the quicker ratio and maybe in a small part due to the wider tires. However the 215 mm wide tires were offered as an option in some regions for the Gen2 and there were apparently no steering motor problems due to them.

For the U.S market the pre-introduction Version II through IV was equipped with slightly softer suspension but this was upgraded to the same suspension used on the V before the car was produced. The version II through V sold in the U.S as well as the Canadian versions all have the same suspension. Different springs, shocks, and steering ratios are (sometimes) used in other countries.

17. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yeah, i understand...we've all been told that. However, in the USA, the Prius V has different shocks AND springs. My information ONLY applies to the United States of America Prius. That is what i have been trying to convey unsuccessfully. Check your local Toyota parts department. The parts number ARE different for 17" rim-equipped Prius.

The Prius Team has gone MIA when confronted with this question. My two local Toyota parts guys cannot explain the different parts number...and NO, the country of importation has nothing to do with these different parts number! I am awaiting answer from Toyota itself...i emailed them last week.

This is pretty interesting stuff...at least for me! :)

18. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Production car springs get marked with a p/n tag and/or colored paint markings.

My 2010 Prius II has two easily visible stripes near the bottom of each front spring. Red (with a hint of orange) and yellow (with a hint of green). I didn't look at the rear springs because I didn't feel like getting down on the ground.

If you are right, and I think you are, your V will have distinctly different color markings on the front springs. The shocks should be marked someplace to, but I they are harder to see.

What colors are on you springs?

19. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just went out and checked. Front springs...red and yellow. The yellow part on both front springs has a black "slash"-looking vertical mark within it.

Edit my misspell of red.

20. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is getting interesting. The reason for the color marking is to make similar looking but different parts immediately identifiable at the various stages of a production environment. They wouldn't use two subtly different patterns, they use obviously different colors.

This also wouldn't be the first time that as built differed from the dealers parts manual.

I fully expected the II-IV and V to have different springs but now don't think my II and your V do have different springs.