1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Packing and Air Vents

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by nburf, Jan 12, 2022.

1. nburf

nburf New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2019 Prime and am about to take it on a road trip that will require a decent amount of luggage put in the back seats and in the boot.

My question is about the fans in the back. I know from doing research here and from reading the manual that it is recommended to never cover the back fans and I think it is highly unlikely I will cover any of the 4 side vents but it's possible I may cover the center vent below the rear seats.

Is this likely to be an issue? It will not be covered while charging. Most of the driving will be in HV at 100km on open roads with occasional EV use in small towns. It is summer here but likely to be 25C maybe 30C is probably the hottest it could get.

2. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    To me, it's ok to cover the vents under the rear seat when NOT charging. When charging those vents are critical to air flow to cool charging equipment. Please, someone else correct me if I'm wrong. It's my understanding charging equipment under the rear seat only functions qhen the vehicle is plugged in. Or does charging equipment under the rear seat also function while driving? Charging air intakes.jpg

#2 Marine Ray, Jan 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  3. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Never block the two vents on the back seats. It's my understanding that those vents are needed whether plugging in or when driving.

#3 Marine Ray, Jan 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  4. nburf

nburf New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks, these are the ones I am concerned about. I know not to block the large side ones while driving but I was not sure if the "charging" vents pictured there are used when the car is 'charging' while driving or just when plugged in. The manual is a bit ambiguous about it!

5. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Remember to check the large side ones periodically. Recommend at 6 months first, then at your schedule depending what you found at 6 months. Because I have no pets or dusty environment, I check mine one a year.
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.