1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Paint bubbling on 2004 Prius: What to do?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Eug, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I noticed the edge of the hood in the front on my 2004 Prius is starting to bubble. The rust hasn't shown through yet, but I'm sure that's what it is underneath. I'm not surprised, given that it's a 7 year old car, used in salt-laden Toronto winters. It also has been parked outside for the past 4 years, since I don't have a garage.

I was wondering it would make sense to get that hood repainted, but it's gonna be a considerable expense, and who knows how long it will be until it shows up on another panel or door.

Whaddya think? I'll try to post some pictures later, but I suspect most of you have seen this before, if not on the Prius then on other cars.

2. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Hmmm... I posted that thinking the entire hood would need to be painted. However, I see online several DIY videos saying it will be fine to spot repair and spot re-paint.

I wouldn't do this DIY, but if I could find a body shop to do it like that, the cost would be considerably less. I get the impression is that my regular Toyota dealer / body shop would rather paint the whole piece, given my experiences with them in the past.

Would you NOT recommend such spot repairs, by a third party shop?

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you find a quality paint shop then it will be no different than going to a dealer. Most places do not have the equipment to bake the paint like they do at the factory so it's pretty much all the same unless you get a crappy painter. :)

I would suggest just taking the hood off and having the whole thing shot then apply the 3M or equivalent clear bra. This will help reduce the number of rock chips you get. Chips in the paint will allow chemicals to get between then paint and metal and then you have more bubbling, peeling etc..

Shooting just the hood shouldn't be too pricey. I would think it is less than a few hundred dollars.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My guess is that the front bumper cover has plenty of road rash and bug damage by now so that may be another candidate for repainting.

I doubt that any professional body shop would agree to only paint spots as it would be very difficult to match the original paint. If you are going to do it, plan to repaint the entire hood.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Patrick is right. If you want to really freshen up the car you can repaint the front bumper cover or if it is really torn up you can buy a new one for under $200 from RockAuto.com or a similar online source.

6. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Hmmm... A couple of hundred dollars for the entire hood? That's not too bad. That seems rather optimistic to me though, but then again, I have minimal experience with this.

Also, I'm not really concerned about "freshening up the car". I'm more interested in preventing the rust from spreading.

As for the bumper, isn't it plastic?

7. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The hood won't rust. It's made of aluminum.

1 person likes this.
  8. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's my thought also, or is the gen 1 a steel hood?
    Aluminum does oxidize, if it's got air and water under the paint then a chip or crack should have been repaired, if it happened on it's own under the paint I'd bug Toyota for a repair, free.

9. firepa63

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The OP has a Gen II Prius...

10. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well the aluminum will oxidize, that's the problem with old airplanes. But I believe it's much easier to fix then regular rust on steel. By the way a few years ago I got my hood on my 05 Prius painted for $300 and that included taking out the dimples where the flying sheet of ice landed on it.

11. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    aluminum doesn't rust....the paint is bubbling because of either a chemical reaction with the paint and whatever primer is underneath that finally came to surface or the paint wasn't laid down properly to begin with.

Regardless I'd find a new hood and paint it to match. It will take more labor and material to sand the whole hood down and repaint it then it would be to source a new (or used) hood and paint to match

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It all depends how fussy you are. While some would shudder at the thought of not repainting the whole car so it all matches perfectly, you don't necessarily have to spend several hundred dollars. If your prime motivation is to prevent further deterioration, and you don't mind a few little blemishes, then just pick off the worst of the bubbles, sand it smooth, and hit it with a spray bomb. You may as well choose the same colour, but that's just cosmetic. Keeping it from getting worse is the first priority.

13. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Interesting. I didn't know it was aluminum. I wonder if it's still oxidization or if the patient is just losing adhesion for some other reason. I'll post some pix today or tomorrow.

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, get a grip, will ya? :p

15. firepa63

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The rear hatch is also aluminum...

16. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    As stated above, the hood can't rust. It's aluminum.

I had a dealer's automatic car wash scratch-up the hood of my Sienna a few years ago. They took responsibility and sent me to their affiliated body shop to get the hood repainted. The cost (free to me) to strip, primer, paint and clear coat the entire hood was $385 for a hood much larger than the Prius's hood. It looked like a factory paint job, too.

17. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Sorry for the bad pic. (Click to enlarge.) This is from my iPhone. I'll have to pull out my dSLR I guess for something better.

photo.jpg

18. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wow...that does look like typical rust bubbling tho.... :eek: :confused:

19. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Edited out irrelevant content :(

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Aluminium may not rust, but it does corrode, especially in the presence of salt. Unlike ferrous metals that fall apart, aluminium oxide corrosion tends to form a 'skin' that actually protects the metal. It does't look so good, especially under paint, but it's not in danger of rusting away.

I wonder if the road salt has gotten trapped between the metal edge of the hood and the rubber weather stripping. Is that strip where it's supposed to be? It looks like it's sticking out too much.

Another picture of the underside would help us see the problem area better.