1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Paint Can Disaster

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by steveholtam, Jul 14, 2008.

1. steveholtam

steveholtam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yesterday I was cleaning my garage, and while doing so I found a can of red spray paint where it wasn’t supposed to be. I tossed it towards the rest of my spray paints, and in doing so, it rolled down the driveway. I was in the middle of cleaning something else, and made a mental note to get that paint can later. Well later came and went…

A few hours later, my wife got into her 4Runner, which was parked next to my 08 Prius. I was waving bye to her as she begin to back up. That’s when the loud POP and then hissing started. The can of paint I forgot about! This can of red paint shot out from under her car and was dancing around the driver’s side of my car, spraying paint all over it!!! It started off near my front bumper, and headed rearward, all the while spinning and spraying gushes of paint out of the split out bottom of the can. Just past the driver’s door, it managed to roll underneath my car where it died.

All this happened right before my eyes. The whole event lasted just a few seconds, and I was frozen with shock the entire time. After the coast was clear, I went over and examined the damage, which was worse then I feared. Because the spray paint was candy apple red, and my Prius is Barcelona Red, at first glance I thought I was mostly ok. That was until I saw that where my car used to be shiny red, it was now a dull red. The entire driver’s side door was now dull. The hood was half-way splattered. The front quarter panel was also hit quite well. The windshield, driver side passenger window, and the left outside mirror, on all sides were sprayed as well.

As my wife drove off, I figured, ok, first let the paint dry so I don’t smear wet paint all over. After it dried, I attempted my first idea, that just by using my finger nail, I would be able to gently scrape the spray paint off. Nope. I tried this on a few tiny paint dots, and I could tell that the scraping force required would most likely scrape the clear coat at the same time. Next up was just a good old washing with soap and water. This did nothing at all, except remove the dirt on my car revealing that my car was even more painted then I first thought.

Next up, and my last idea, chemical warfare, Goof Off. I had this bottle from some project a few years ago, and remembered how caustic and powerful this stuff was. I was VERY nervous that the Goof Off would devour my precious clear coat. I dripped a few drops onto a Q-Tip, and found a test drop that would not be visible very easily in case of disaster. Well, the Goof Off instantly removed the spray paint, and didn’t seem to harm the clear coat. I tested this in a few more spots, and the red spray paint was coming off! A couple of nice terry clothes later, and most of the paint was off the metal panels of my car. Now on to the plastic, windows and trim pieces of my less then six month old Prius.

After my great luck with the painted parts, I figured the plastic and trim would be even easier. Not so! The Goof Off removed the paint, but it also ended up melting the plastic and removing the paint from things like the windshield wiper arms. Not good. My first effort really marred up some front cover thing below the windshield. (See Photo). I soon discovered that a tiny amount of Goof Off applied, and then immediately wiped off would remove the paint and take just a tiny layer of plastic with it. By doing an entire part at a time, I could dissolve the part equally all over so there was no sign of my cleaning.

I worked on this for a couple of hours and removed about 75%. I was tired and a bit frustrated so I saved the rest for tonight. I didn’t take a picture before, but here are two pictures taken today. The window picture shows how much was sprayed at that level. Lower was MUCH worse, especially as the door flares. The lower half of the door was nearly covered entirely.

All I all, I think I will be ok. Sharing this odd tale at least allows others to know that Goof Off removes paint. Just don’t use it on plastic, trim, or rubber.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Why don't you just file it under insurance comprehensive? It probably wouldn't raise your rates. Sounds like way too much grief.

3. effwitt

effwitt Paparazzi Magnet

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My car was in a parking lot and a painter was using a remote corner to paint some metal railings and overspray got all over my car. The painters had someone pick up my car and they wer able to remove the paint without damaging the paint on my car. Check with an autobody shop or detailer - they might be able to clean it up. Good luck.

4. fcc

fcc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    and here i thought my first tiny scratch was something to worry about :-|

5. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Dang, that really sux! Sorry to hear. I know how one little scratch can cause anxiety. All that spray??? Must have been insane!

Why didn't you hose it down with water immediately?
    Maybe you can claim it on your insurance?

Hope it's not too much trouble to fix. Make sure to post the resolution!
    Best of luck

6. fcc

fcc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I thought most spray paint was oil based especially if older and lying around
    a garage.

7. MagneticGrayIndy

MagneticGrayIndy 06Prius;94M Miata;65Rambler770

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I tossed it towards the rest of my spray paints...

well there's a bit of foreshadowing for you.. Sucks. But the glass should be very easy.. a nice, new, clean razor blade should do the job.. Plastic?? I do not know man.

8. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ive got this cool setting on my mr clean car washing adapter(fits on the end of the hose) that sprays soapy water. i would of had that on full blast with a soapy microfiber mit washing the heck out of it before it dried.
    but hindsight is 20/20
    before you melt any more plastic, etc., turn this into your insurance and fix it proper, before you're too far at intentional fault.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would have retrieved it right away, but that's hindsight.

I also would have got a cloth with paint remover or goof off or something and started to remove it while wet. Also hindsight.

At this point....bite the bullet and take it to a professional detailer. Hopefully they won't charge you extra for trying to do it yourself first.

10. BDDave

BDDave New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    :eek: This may be far out but if you would have turned the car around, put out another can of paint and waited until your wife returned you might have ended ended up with the same effect on both sides. When you sell a used car with a "custom" paint job you can ask a higher price.
    Now seriously, what a mess! Take it to a body shop for their opinion. :frown:

11. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    definitely claim that on your insurance and have it fixed right at the body shop. Afterall that's why we get insurance to begin with. Since its a comp. claim your rates will not increase.

12. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    for future reference
    -------------------

if you hurry up and get at it really fast, spray paint can be removed using rubbing
    compound, but you need to remove it before its completely dried

13. ranchogirl

ranchogirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

A few years ago I ran over a GALLON of OIL-BASED white paint in my garage when my car was ONE DAY OLD.

(Yes, my husband left it there...)

I was pulling into the garage and it happened in a single instant. One second nothing, then the next second - POP - paint was everywhere. Everywhere.

It not only got my car of course, but a huge amount of stuff in the garage, including my husband's golf bag, folding tables, tool chests, our epoxied floor. Everything. Everywhere. In an instant.

All I remember was getting out of my car half screaming and half crying and getting the hose, which did nothing (oil-based). My neighbor across the street called my husband at work and told him that he thought that something was wrong with his wife. He came home, and I don't know how he did it, but he got it all off. I think he used paint thinner. I'm not sure how he managed to do it without damaging the paint but he did. It was all over the tires and wheels too.

You are not alone. And I second the suggestion of filing an insurance claim if you are not able to get it all off.

14. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What a mess, doesn't pay to be careless. I too always wind up paying for taking short cuts.
    A body shop should be able to buff most of the over spray off your car. Windshield and plastic parts are an other story.
    Watch out using solvents on the plastic parts, as you found out they may eat the plastic! Also most solvents need some sort of stopping agent. Once they start working they need something to make them stop. Strong soap and water often works, but may not have the full effect on oil based solvents.
    A lot of plastics don't rebound well, once ruined they are often to far gone to be saved.
    I hope you have the best of luck restoring your car's original finish.
    A lot of us who parked in the Navy's shipyards use to get over spray on our cars. Paint thinner and elbow grease was the only way to get this stuff off.

15. steveholtam

steveholtam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks everyone for the tips and ideas. I spent some more time last night getting the windows clean, using pure Goof Off. It worked pretty good and I got most of the windows nice and clean. I plan on tackling the trim and plastic parts tonight. I'll try some of your thoughts during this process.

This whole process has been odd for me. Everyone I know is fully freaked out, and I'm just taking it like unwanted labor. I guess I blame myself, so its up to me to fix it or live with it. I think I will be able to get almost all the paint off, its just how much plastic will I melt. I guess I could replace many of the plastic parts later if I feel the cost justifies the corrected look.

I did love the worry over the first scratch reply! Ranchogirls story was great also. I can only imagine how much work your husband went through to clean up the mess. Oil based paint is a PAIN!