1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Paint chip fix

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by zijlstra, Apr 18, 2007.

1. zijlstra

zijlstra New Member

Any wisdom on fixing chips in the paint? I got a small one right above the wheel-well and really don't want the thing to start rusting. Any great advice out there?

2. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alaskaprius @ Apr 18 2007, 04:49 AM) [snapback]425200[/snapback]</div>
    Here's the long way that gives really good results:
    http://carcareonline.com/viewarticle.aspx?art=8

Another source is these guys. I've used their products to do the entire end of a badly scuffed bumper on a 1998 Ford Taurus (metallic red) and was very pleased with the results:
    http://www.paintscratch.com/

- Tom

3. jtmhog

jtmhog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alaskaprius @ Apr 18 2007, 04:49 AM) [snapback]425200[/snapback]</div>
    Here in N. VA, new car dealers without body shops have body/paint people that work out of their vans. They are not dealer employees. They do minor body/paint repair in the dealer parking lot. I've had good results here in N. VA but, your northern location might not be favorable for this type of business.

4. bobc

bobc New Member

Contrary to Tom, I had problems with paint scratch pens. Could get the paint to flow. It just came out in big blobs. Sent the pen back and the new one did the same thing...

Had much better luck with autosharp pens (autovisuals.com) The felt tip comes to a sharper point than paint scratch ones. So, it's easier to put and keep the paint in the scratch.

With either of them, shake the pen up to really mix the paint. Otherwise, the paint is going to be a shade darker/lighter and won't match.

There are two ways of fixing scratches. They are time consuming because it takes several coats of paint to fill in the scratch. But, it only takes 10 minutes a day and after a couple of weeks, you've added enough paint to fill in the hole and bring it up to the level of the existing paint.

In addition to Tom's link, check out detailersclub.com (May have to sign in but it's a casual site and I don't think they do anything with the info). Much good info there. Professional detailers sign in regularly. Both techniques are dicsurred there. The second one is using the langka products. This is the one that I use. I can cheat and slobber paint outside of the scratched area and the langka stuff cleans it up great!

Cheers,