1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

paint chips on hood

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by donnie b, Apr 27, 2013.

1. donnie b

donnie b New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Brand new owner here(less than 2 weeks). While trying to decide between a bug shield or 3m paint protector, i just noticed my first and hopefully last stone chip. Grrrrrr. Bought some touch up paint and just filled it in. Does anyone know if i need to buy a separate clear coat paint or if the touch up paint i got from the dealer is ok? Also, any advice on the bug shield or 3m? Thanks and oh by the way....Luv my C!!!!Black Sand Pearl Badass!

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Best rock protection for the front of the car is to just not follow so close to the vehicle in front. Unfortunately with black, you are going to see every chip.

The touchup paint from the dealer is great as long as you don't have a pearlescant finish (like the blizzard white). But to be undetectable it takes a skilled hand to apply and feather. It should work fine for good enough at a distance no matter what.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Isabella Prius

Isabella Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Get a ckear bra.... paint protectiin film....

SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 ? 2

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I've owned my Prius just about two weeks, and I'm debating similar installation.
    15 days or so ago, I owned a Black Honda Fit. I had the 3m clearbra put on it when I bought it. I have to say I thought it did a good job protecting the hood. 3 years of driving and it kept the hood looking good.

5. donnie b

donnie b New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    thanks for all the feedback. I looked into the clear bra and am going with a company called invisible mask. Im getting a full hood cover for 116.00 It includes app kit, dvd instructions, and door edge guard. Gonna order it tomorrow. Anyone ever hear of the Company? Or have any other suggestions before I order? thanks again.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not saying "Invisible Mask" is bad.

But I would recommend researching some reviews online.

I don't necessarily think you want to go cheap here. This is going on your hood. The worst thing that could happen would be for it to yellow or haze up after a year or so, or offer substandard protection.

I don't have any experience with "Invisible Mask" so I don't really know if it is good or bad.

I stuck with the major name brand, with a warranty, and in my case it really was something I did not want to try to install myself.

I can only speak for the 3M product but I thought it did it's job well (protection) and it was pretty invisible. Did not yellow or fade in 3 years....parked outside, lots of rain.

Maybe the biggest "pain" to my clearbra was the slight edge it does create along the edge. Maintenance was almost non-existent....wash and wax, polish as per normal, but I found I had to be a little extra careful waxing or polishing along the edge. If wax get's on the edge it can take extra buffing or it will show the edge.

Unless you have a lot of experience doing this type of thing I also would recommend professional installation. Of course that it up to you.

Whatever you go with post some pictures upon completion...and good luck.

7. donnie b

donnie b New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Will do. Thanks for the input. think you talked me into a pro install. As long as they dont kill me on a full hood covering.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Up here the dealerships have a paint stick, that has the body color at one end, and clear coat at the other. I'd been mainly using the body color for touch up, and then one time followed up with the clear coat. Even though the color coat had cured at least a day, the clear coat seemed to lift it, I had color flakes swimming in the clear. My 2 cents: just use color coat, and keep the touch up sparing, fill the chip but that's all.

9. wmo168

wmo168 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I got the 3M ebay kit for $238 Bumper and hood and just did it myself. I am not a dealer nor I call myself a pro, having done 7 of my own cars in 5 years I guess I know the pros and cons on it. with the film I even have tires pieces hit my bumper and it just rub off.. didn't even do any damage. Any stone chips or sand blast on your front will be protected.

I would never pay $500 for someone to do it since their work is about the same.... depends on the installer.

Never buy any other brand except these two I recommeded 3m Ventureshield or 3m Scotchguard. Ventureshield is harder film and it is easier to put on and more forgiving if you made mistake, like peel out and reapply during installation but it is not as clear if you put on a white car.. Scotchguard is much nicer looking transparent film but it is much harder to put on, once you put it on if you try to reset it it will wrinked and orange peel. so unless you are very good at it it may not be perfect. The key for these type of film is wet it once lay it out flat and done...

I can post picture on what I did to my car if anyone want to see.

Just don't buy any cheap non branded precut kit on ebay as they are bad and waste your time.

Buy the precut kit either Ventureshield and Scotchguard, there are many seller on ebay that sells it.

The key to put this on is to prep prep prep, make sure you wash wax and use your finger nail to clean the area WELL! and make sure you got no sand or dust on your hood or hand. even a single pixel of dust under the film will show..

10. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
  11. PriusC-illa

PriusC-illa Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
  12. cyeremian

cyeremian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I use a front end mask. It's very easy to install and remove. When I take long trips I just put it on. Protects the front end very well.

Attached Files: