1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Paint chips

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by diane, Oct 9, 2006.

1. diane

diane New Member

I have a Salsa red Prius that I really love. The problem is that it has many nicks in the paint, especially on the hood, but also along the sides. I live in Maine and we do have winter and sanding of the roads, but I've checked other prius's paint situations and the blue and darker gray have none of the problems that my Salsa one does. I've also seen one other salsa car with the same problems. Anyone out there with similar chips? I'm taking it to the service rep later this week and would love to have more "ammunition". Thanks for sharing.
    Diane

2. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Same here. Tons of chips on the front of the hood and front bumper. Could this be related to the amazing drag co-efficient of the Prius?

3. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What color is yours silentak?

Unfortunately my guess is this is just an example of newer, more brittle, low VOC paints. Who knows why other vehicles don't seem as effected, could be driving style, could be types of roads driven on, could be it just shows up more on the Salsa.

4. AAWADKE

AAWADKE New Member

I have a barcelona red ..and in just 5 months i have plenty of chips on hood....thnks to the construction zone i drive through everyday to work.....:(

5. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AAWADKE @ Oct 10 2006, 11:42 AM) [snapback]330751[/snapback]</div>
    My Subaru Impreza is a red very close to the Prius Barcelona red. It is 6 years newer than my wife's white Outback. Visually her car's paint is as good as new after 100+,000 miles and my Impreza looks like it been thru a gravel war. Both Subarus have repainted hoods due to other "damages", but the point is. The red doesn't seem to hold up to chips as well as the white. That's why I got a white Prius, though I really wanted blue. Just my .02.

6. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Two thoughts:

1. The chipping may be related to the color formulation, i.e., different pigments may have better or worse chip resistance. 2. Car paint is made in batches, and perhaps the batch from which yours came was defective and that other cars of the same color, different batch numbers, might be ok.

I have a 2004 Seaside Pearl Blue which has shown remarkable resistance to chipping. I installed one of the hard plastic hood protectors that fit like a moustache, and that has no doubt helped. I avoided the vinyl bras because I didn't want anything in direct contact with the paint rubbing on it, and I think they're ugly. Some folks have gone for the clear 3M bra.

If anything, the clean aerodynamics of the car would help deflect small stones as they would be carried in the slipstream, like twigs in a river when the water flows over a rock.

A lot depends on the roads you drive. If your area is prone to sand and gravel, well, there's your answer. Check with your neighbors and co workers who might drive more or less the same routes and see what their experience has been.
    Bob