1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Paint coming off driver door panel ... Yikes!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Zoltani, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Zoltani

Zoltani Junior Member

Paint rubbing off driver door panel ... Yikes!

Problem: the driverside upper horizontal span of the color part of the plastic door panel in the middle, where the panel ajoins the window about 6" above the way-too low "armrest," (burgundy painted plastic) is beginning to show signs of wear in the area where my arm elbow rests against it while driving. IMO, this spot, i.e., the "wear area" is the logical place to rest the left arm/elbow while driving. So, it's only a matter of time before this area begins to wear for those of us who rest our arm elbow there while driving.

Any ideas on possible fixes? Probably will have to replace the panel, I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience with paint rubbing off on the driverside door panel?

Options under consideration: (1) Replace color panel and never use it for arm elbow rest, (2) 3M Scotchgard Paint protection film for painted surfaces, (3) upholster the driver side door panel allowing for matching leather or materials that won't degrade/rub off, like paint, or _______?

2. clearbraj

clearbraj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    YOur Option 2 is a good one. I have wrapped the 3m material on a dozen or so tan sill plates on the Mercedes vehicles. This area gets marked with black heels etc. Works great! This is always a trial an error application. Start with a small section and see if it holds up - if the material is spongy the material may not hold up. Hope this helps. Everything needs protection.....

Joe Altman
    Automotive Candystore - Motoring Lifestyle & Tailgating Store
    Certified Clear Bra (Paint Protection)& Headlight/Taillight Protection Installation Facility
    3M Certified Headlight Lens Restoration Facility
    Stuart, Florida

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After 4 years, our '05 shows signs of wear but it's not that obvious (i.e. it's not white or anything). We have the Bisque interior so our plastic part is black. I've never heard of 3M-ing the interior but if it works for you, then that seems to be a good option.