1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

paint damage?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by grasshopper, Mar 30, 2006.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

:unsure:
    I have been told with other new cars that you should not wax them for about 90 days.
    If this is correct, the there are a few things that concern me if done before the 90 day period.
    Will installing a clear bra cause problems with the paint?
    Will installing side door protector trim cause problems with the paint? Given that it is my understanding that you remove the wax to get a better adhesion and then re-wax.

Just a statement here: This is not a steering wheel, it’s a knob! I think I’d rather have a joystick than this ditto thing. Wass up wit dat?

2. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have never had a problem waxing a car the day I bought it. I also note that many dealers are installing clear bra protection before the cars are sold. I had the clear bra installed on my Prius when it was new. Car has almost 29K on it now and still looks new.

3. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Mar 30 2006, 08:57 AM) [snapback]232287[/snapback]</div>

Thanks, I wouldn't want to injure my baby!

4. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ Mar 30 2006, 08:13 AM) [snapback]232273[/snapback]</div>
    There is no need to wait for waxing, clear bra, or adding a door protector. Yes, you remove the wax before putting on a clear bra or door trim to get better adhesion.

I used to help my father in his hobby of painting cars. Using DuPont professional products, the rule of thumb used to be 30 to 90 days for an air-dried paint job depending on the type of paint and weather conditions. For a baked finish (drying "oven") like most body shops and all manufacturers use, 0 to 30 days is the recommended interval - again depending on the type of paint. The manufacturer is painting before assembly, has the best drying booths, then has to assemble and deliver the car. By then, 30 days is usually up. For example, my January 2nd delivered 06 Prius has a build date of 11/05 as found on the door jamb sticker (driver's door). So my car was painted more than a month before I got it.

So look at your build date to reassure yourself, put your accessories on, and wax away.

- Tom

5. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The dealer waxed mine as part of the delivery prep. Could tell by the leftover wax in hidden spots.

Now i hope this post doesn't cause some sort of mass mania LOL