1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Paint on door wearing or chipping away

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FredWB, Jun 27, 2004.

1. FredWB

FredWB New Member

Has anyone had the problem of paint suddenly just appearing worn on the front door trailing edges about knee height? When this happened after a trip to the dealer on the driver side I thought they did it. They agreed to have it touched up. Now a few days ago, after another dealer trip, I saw the begininnings of it again on the passenger door this time. Both times it seems to start out slow with just the appearance of white (primer) at first in maybe a 1/8" section along the door. This last time I've seen it enlarge very gradually over a few days to about 3/4" in length. There is an easily seen dot of white primer as well as a faint line along the door trailing edge that get more noticeable each day. It happened just like this the first time on the driver door too. There isn't anything I can see in my garage that could hit this and I never park next to anything that could do this. It's almost like the paint in this locatiion is very thin and being worn away when a person brushes it getting into the car. Anyone else notice anything like this? And the car is always covered during the day too. Any ideas out there. I'm stumped.

2. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I put clear guards on the edges of my doors, but i have noticed that the paint on the rear bumper is SUPER THIN. The plastic underneath the rear bumper is black and my car is white - so it's as noticeable as the white on your door edges.

This is making me wonder about the paint job on all of the 2004 Prius models.

3. klatu

klatu Prius Junkie

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I too have paint Chipping

I also have mysterious little chipping cluster areas on both the front Left and Right quarter panels that have appeared and I don't think they are from road debris. I got my White 2004 in November of last year.

4. FredWB

FredWB New Member

I thought at first that this was some sort of chemical attack like brake fluid. And the first time as the spot got bigger day after day I thought I was imagining it. I did not notice it until I washed the car many days later. This time I didn't notice it until a few days after the dealer worked on it. And it was very very small but grew larger within days. I touched it up this morning with the paint the painter mixed for me the first time. There just isn't anything in my garage or where I part it that could do this. And you have to open it into something to get at the edge to cause this sort of damage. I almost always drive alone but my wife has been with me a couple of times lately and I don't think she could have done this unless the slightest brush in this location would cause something like this. The paint must be very very thin. The sheet metal in this location is sort of thin too so it's probably difficult to get enough paint along this edge.

Klatu...yes I got mine at the end of Nov. too. Maybe it's related to some of the early cars?

5. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Paint is made in batches. If the affected cars were manufactured about the same time, they probably were painted from the same batch. It could be that there was a defective batch of paint in assorted colors that found itself on a run of cars. The paint may have been ok and the error might have been in surface preparation for a run of cars prior to being painted. Since the affected cars seem to be of different colors, my thought is that a run of cars was not properly primed and cleaned prior to painting. Any solvents left on the surface could cause the paint to lift.
    1. Contact other Prius owners with this problem (from this chatline and also PriusOnLine) and compare vin numbers and manufacture dates.
    2. Contact Toyota as this is a warranty issue. Not sure what they would do as it's unlikely they will repaint several thousand cars, but you may get some sort of compensation if they admit it was an error.
    I took delivery in late February and have not noticed the door edges, but I did notice a few scratches on the top of my rear bumper, which I covered with Invica shield as this is a prime wear spot.
    Good luck.
    Bob

6. FredWB

FredWB New Member

Bob,

The funny thing is, this didn't start happening until I had my car for about 4000 miles. Then after one trip to the dealer I noticed it beginning about a week later. I suspected brake fluid on someone's knee and it's just at that height. This second time the usual alignment mechanic was the passenger and the Toyota rep was driving the car I think. Now it's the passenger door. I gave up today and cleaned the spot and touched it up with the paint the painter mixed speciall for me. So we'll see how that holds up for now. But I swear once the white spot appeared it grew in size during the day without anyone touching it. The photo of the 1st door even looks like some sort of chemical attack. Needless to say, I'm through with this dealership. They've given me more than one reason to take my business elsewhere.