1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Paint Protection Film 3M

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by New_Yorker, Feb 6, 2010.

1. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am debating trying to install the film made by 3M myself on the front bumper and fenders of my new 2010. Has anyone else tried:noidea: this, and how difficult was it ? I have done some fairly simple panels on my Jeep Grand Cherokee, and a number of headlight shields, but only seen the front fascia and bumper done professionally. Am I nuts to try this ? :crazy:

Anyone familiar with the tricks of the trade who could offer any suggestions about installing the sticky paint protection film, I'd love to hear :director: from you.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    After installing window film on the windows in my house once, it is an undertaking I will NEVER attempt again myself.

If you've got experience doing it ok, otherwise I'd say leave it to the professionals.

3. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I watched them install venture shield on my 2010 and no way in he!! would i try it.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Reno makes the install look easy but he's the professional & knows what he's doing and it takes most of a day. I don't so I am happy to leave it to him.

5. leeb18c

leeb18c Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did the bumper myself using the precut 3m film from invisiblemask on my 2010. It is the most difficult thing to install as it is my first time installing it. My wife helped put it on initially and I did the rest. It is just race against drying soapy water and re-spraying it constantly while doing one side. It did turn out very good except the area infront/below the headlight since I didn't stretch it enough. I like the 3m adhesive better than Venturesheild but think 3m is less flexible eventhough you can still stretch it very well. I even dropped the front middle lower film on the ground but luckily the dirt washes off very well and no damage was done. Its most stressful 3hr of my life trying to spray, stretch, spray, squeegee, spray, etc. Doing hood is like so easy anyone can do it but i don't think i would ever want to do the bumper again.

1 person likes this.
  6. RadioZero

RadioZero Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    i installed the 3m paint protection on my 2010. its a pain, but doable. this was the first time for me and took a good 1/2 day in the garage. if you're a DIY type of person i say go for it. the lighter color the car, the easier it is. this is because the dark cars show the imperfections. here are some photos of me installing the 3m.

Prius Stuff - a set on Flickr

1 person likes this.
  7. Gwest

Gwest Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Good Luck DIY. That's one job I don't mind leaving to the experts. I think what color your car is could turn this job from being one you could try yourself to one to leave it for the experts. I had it on my (black) Esclade and my father had it on his black Esclade the film was installed by 2 diffrent company's the diff was huge. If it's not done right on a black car you can see everything. Even where you stretched the material to much. I payed $700 to have my V done they did the door cups, Hood, Mirrors, bumper and headlight washers. The bumper was done with a one piece kit. Some company's use a multi (3) Piece kit. I took a picture so you can see the line in the flim but other wise you cant tell it on. you can sorta see it 1/2 way on the fender
    [​IMG]

8. Pohaku

Pohaku Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Had 3M done on my Blizzard. Watched the entire installation (pics posted elsewhere on this forum). While I am a DIY kind of guy, I would not care to do a bumper myself. Even my autobody repair guy (I now need to have my bumper replaced) suggested that I have the 3M installer do the reinstallation because they would do a better job than his own shop.

1 person likes this.
  9. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks to all for the advice. I am a tad leery of undertaking this project, but have a little experience doing it, so may yet give it a try. As they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained, and there is no substitute for actual experience, so I am inclined to try. Keeping it wet with 'slip solution' is my main concern, but as I have seen it done before I have some idea how to go about it. They also now make a more DIYer friendly type of film called aeroguard, that is purported to make self install more successful by those more adventuresome or foolish, take your pick, types like me.

10. leeb18c

leeb18c Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd say go for it. The price I pay for the film is pretty cheap so I can still have 2nd try for about the same price as cheapest pro install if the first one goes terribly wrong. Just have at least 3 bottle of soapy water and a bottle of alcohol mix ready for the install. I run out of soapy water near the end of install and have to mix up again in a hurry. Don't be afraid to stretch the film as needed and use plenty of soapy spray until you're ready to set it. Good luck.

1 person likes this.