1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Paint Protection Film: Just Front or Front/Rear?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by embers, Nov 15, 2010.

1. embers

embers New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As a new Prius owner I appreciate the opportunity to ask the forum this question. We have decided to protect the paint using a film. My question is do we do both the front and the rear bumpers? Most of you seem to focus on the front of the car and this makes sense (as damage comes primarily from the direction of travel). However my wife is worried she will back into something (because for some reason Toyota does not offer parking sensors in the USA) or some shopping cart will hit us. I realize this is a personal choice (and perhaps money well spent for marital bliss) but do you all have any experience in how often damage to the rear bumper occurs? Or should we just cover the trunk loading ledge and take the money saved and do the hood, etc up front? Please note I asked this same question as a reply to a thread that is a year old and I thought it might get lost. I apologize for the duplication. Thanks very much for your help.

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Protection films are pretty useless if you back into something. The main difference is that you will also have the expense of replacing the damaged protection film in addition to bumper/paint work.

They do work well on the front against sand and other crud. Also consider the rear view mirrors and lower sides where debris gets thrown up from your own wheels

3. clearbraj

clearbraj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Since the film is becoming more popular - many customers have requested "Urban Protection" this includes complete doors, painted door molding strips and rear bumpers. The film does not protection against dents however these areas are prone to scratches and rubs....stollers, golf club bags etc. especially from parking lot bumper to bumper rubs at the corners of the bumpers - kit usually also includes trunk ledge protection.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The OP should consider a black rubber strip around the car. IMO lt looked good on NYC taxis. No matter where you put the film you will get a scratch, chip or scuff on an unprotrcted panel.