1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

paint protection film option

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by chip_designer, Aug 19, 2009.

1. chip_designer

chip_designer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    IV

wonder if anyone have experience with this option.

if anyone have it on other cars, the film really never comes out?

can someone notice that it is applied or not to the car?

Thanks.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Basically, once it is on it's on unless one tries to remove it. Some experience minor annoyances with it when they wax their vehicle in that you can see a thin line of dried wax right along where the film ends and the paint begins. Nothing that cannot be taken care of easily, or prevented by using a sealant like Zaino instead of conventional carnuba wax.

As for being seen, you can see it when close to the vehicle but once you are a few feet away it becomes very hard to see the line where it begins or ends.

For more information on it, reviews, opinions and pictures run a search. There has been much discussion about this stuff already.

3. wsk

wsk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello.
    This is my first time on this forum. I just brought a white Prius and my friend's performance shop in SF applied the film on my Prius last Saturday. He was able to use one of his middle size film to cover the entire hood of my car. You will not see any line on the hood, because the Prius hood is so small. however, on my 2006 Odyssey, I do see a line half way up my hood. From a distance, you will not notice it much. My odyssey entire front bumber, fog light, headlight and rear bumber, side mirror, door edges, handles are covered too. In the city with so many hills, the rear bumber get a lot of hits. The cover film help a lot in preventing damage in the paint. I am still waiting for to do the front and rear of my Prius. I hope my experience will help answer your question.

4. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm not a fan of this stuff due to the fact that you can notice the edges. With the small hood on the Prius, they can probably do a good job of covering the entire hood (assuming they can navigate the crease near the top) so you won't see an edge going across the hood like on most cars. The front bumper is another matter--there will be lots of edges.

From a distance they're hard to see, but when you approach the car I find them to be unattractive.

My suggestion is to see a Prius (or some other car if you can't find a Prius) with the film installed so you can see for yourself and decide what you think. If you can't find a car with the film installed, look at the pieces on the Prius near the lower rear corners of the rear doors and adjacent door opening.

5. dfran1

dfran1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have it on my wife's Prius IV sandy beach and love it, wish the installer did a better job but it is still well worth it.

I am also getting it on my Prius V with tech White.
    Lifetime warranty on both.

My last Prius, 05 red was perfect except for the front end that was like it was sandblasted, they gave me a little grief about it when trading it in and I was also constantly touching it up but it came to a point that there was just too many chips.

I got it and hopefully I will not be sorry.
    Good Luck

6. mr.whit

mr.whit Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just had it installed today... I think it looks great! I also had stone clips on my 06 that is why I had this installed.

7. SCJoe

SCJoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Anyone know if they're still using 3M Scotchcal for these protectors, or have they moved to a newer material?

8. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had Venture Film put on mine and love it.

9. snapster

snapster New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  10. clearbraj

clearbraj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A much better locators are Installer Map Locator - justPPF.com , www.mmm.com, www.xpel.com and PROFORM Design World Map This is where all the "certified" installers are listed and this is a free information site for both installers and folks looking for information on PPF. The other site you just pay and you are on the site. Hope this helps

1 person likes this.
  11. tjp74

tjp74 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I see people talk about how it looks when it's new but I see no one mentioning how it would look few years down the road. I've seen few cars, expecially white ones with noticeably yellow looking film. I've been warned by someone who said it will turn yellow in couple of years on white cars and actually permanantly discolor the paint too. I can understand the film turning yellow but it's hard to believe that paint will actually discolor too. Is this is a story of early generation of flim? Was there any advancement in film material lately?

Also, what about pre-cut kit sold online? I believe I have the skills to do it but not sure if pre-cut is worth considering compare to buying bulk and cut it as I apply. Or just forget it and go with pros?

12. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do it yourself? Sure you cn do that but i'd recommend you find a installer close to you and ask him if you can watch him do a install. THEN think about if you still wanna do it yourself

13. clearbraj

clearbraj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great questions. Refer to www.clearshieldprotection.com
    which will provide some FAQ's on yellowing, do it your self kits and other pertinent questions regarding paint protection films. Also do a forum search on "Paint Protection films".