1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Paint Protection

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by northvan, Dec 26, 2005.

1. northvan

northvan New Member

I took delivery of a 2006 Silver Pine Mica 2 days before Christmas, Santa was VERY good to me! The dealer has suggest I take a protection package, paint sealant and fabric protection. They want about $500 for both, seems reasonable if it will protect my baby.

2. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Not worth it, in my opinion. This is one of many options offered by dealers to make extra money, and the salesman earns a nice commisssion from it.

3. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

if more people realize the dangers of Teflon, they'd so see its not worth it.

I can't have it b/c of my birds. The salesman started his paint and fabric protection pitch and I asked him, thats what, Teflon? Yep.

UGH. Teflon or PTFE gives off small amounts of toxic fumes even at room temperatures.

DuPont agrees to pay $16.5 million in EPA settlement
    By: Bob Fernandez
    Philadelphia Inquirer
    December 15, 2005

PHILADELPHIA - The DuPont Co. said Wednesday it has agreed to pay $10.25 million in civil fines and fund $6.25 million in research projects to settle allegations that it failed to report pollution and human contamination from perfluorooctanoic acid, or PFOA, a chemical used in Teflon and other products.

The Environmental Protection Agency said the fine is the largest administrative civil fine ever obtained for violating the Toxic Substances Control Act and the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act. The previous record civil fine was $6.4 million against the Tennessee Gas Pipeline Co. in 1994.

Grant Nakayama, assistant administrator in the EPA, said in a press conference the DuPont fine "sends a clear message" to corporations that they must disclose information on the dangers from chemicals to humans or the environment.

http://www.ewg.org/news/story.php?id=4850

So its made with a carcinogen. Its gotta be safe for us to use! *eyeroll*

Sorry. I have strong feelings on the subject.

4. kente777

kente777 New Member

Is this stuff (PFOA) in the fabric protection they use? And it is definitely applied at the dealer, not the port?

Thanks.

Ken

5. kente777

kente777 New Member

Here is a short excerpt citing that 3M changed from PFOA.

3M’s Original Scotchgard and PFOA: Scotchgard products made by 3M before the year 2001 break down into PFOA, among other chemicals, in the environment [Extract | Full Document]. The Environmental Protection Agency forced 3M to alter its Scotchgard formulation because chemicals in the product were found to be toxic and persistent in the environment and the human body. The public record contains little information on the new Scotchgard formula. 3M is using PFBS, a sister chemical to PFOS, as a replacement to PFOS based chemistry for some products [Full document]. PFBS does not break down. If 3M's replacement chemistry is based on telomer alcohols, it likely breaks down into PFOA as well.

Ken

6. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

heh.

Well.. The sales pitch the guy went through anyway had Teflon in it through out the Powerpoint.

Despite him trying to sell it, I was having a conversation with my parents blatently not paying attention to him.

http://www.ewg.org/reports/bodyburden2/che...p?chemid=100300
    Thats the CAS-RN and a whole bunch of other information on perfluorobutane sulfonate

Which shows why its marketed under Teflon. *cringe* While this stuff *seems* safer, I still won't have it around my birds or myself.

http://www.nicnas.gov.au/Publications/CAR/...lfonate_PDF.pdf

about midway down the 14th page (of the entire document- 14 of 115) with a new paragraph the article starts talking about how a number of PFBS-based surfactants have been reviewed by the US EPA and placed on the TOXIC substances control act.

now while it might be because of the additives to the PFBS it makes me wonder just how much work is going into finding out whats safe for us and whats not.

Admittingly I haven't read all 114 pages of the article.

7. northvan

northvan New Member

Wow, I never even thought about it being unhealthy for me. I just looked up the subject in Phil Edmonston's book, "Lemon-Aid" car guide. He says the treatment is less effective than regular waxing, and may invalidate the manufacture's guarantee if they look for any pretext to deny a paint claim. He goes on to say equivalent fabric protection could be bought for a few dollars in spray cans, instead of hundreds that the dealers charge.

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    On the bright side, the light colored velour looking stuff actually cleans up pretty well. I live where their is a lot of dirt and mud and I have a dog who doesn't always stay in the back where the old blanket is. So far the dirty dog prints have cleaned right off with just clear water on a sponge. In fact I have decided to let the second owner worry about seat covers and just use this Prius like a real car dirt mud and all. I think a coat or two of good quality wax a couple of times a year should protect the paint just fine.

9. johnnieliu

johnnieliu New Member

If "paint sealant" means multiple coats of Zaino, yes its worth it.

But I highly doubt that the dealership would know anything about Zaino. So, save the $500, buy the Zaino kit and some Scotchguard(or some really nice car seat covers), and spend an entire day getting to know every crack and crevice of you new car. With all that, I'm pretty sure its still less than $500.

10. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Ok, so I see I won't be the only one who has a cute puppy dog that will be riding in a Prius. I was going to get seat cushions because of him though. If I buy a Prius I'm going with Fabric seats. (not into leather) I just don't want my dog (as cute as he is) to ruin my seats.

If and when I get my Prius I will have to use him as my aviator too in my Prius! (Gotta show off both my babies ;) )

Edited to add: Glad this thread came up before I make my purchase. I would have been wondering to if I should go with the Paint Protection. Now I know I will pass.

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Consider it logically: Would a company like Toyota, which makes such excellent cars, skimp on something as important as paint and fabric protection? The paint they use on cars nowadays is extremely durable. Wax it if you want to keep it looking its best. Same with fabric protection. The cloth seats in the Prius already have fabric protection from the factory. What's the point of applying a second coat of it?

Deler add-on "protection" (paint, fabric, and under-body) is one of the most notorious scams practiced by any otherwise legitimate business: It does absolutely no good at all, the dealers charge hundreds of dollars for products that cost them pennies, and in some cases it actually damages your car. (For example, improperly-applied undercoating can trap road salt and speed up rusting!)

On the other hand, seat covers are probably a good idea if your dog rides in the car.

12. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

I wasn't planning on having a dog ever, but wound up with a puppy that was tossed into traffic.

That said, big lots (the store) has EXCELLENT dog seat covers. I paid $13 or so for mine and it fits the back seat wonderfully (complete with plastic backingin case of accidents).

13. tag

tag Senior Member

Got me wondering if any dealer would offer that for $500. I mean, multiple coats of Zaino is not something that involves a minimal time commitment like some of the other rip off add-ons they offer.

14. wilco

wilco New Member

Ever see the film Fargo?

15. johnnieliu

johnnieliu New Member

:D

I turned a co-worker onto Zaino, and he actually found a local DETAILER that used Zaino. I think they charged him $150 for Claybar, and about 3 coats of Zaino and the "Dawn", strip the old car wax, wash. Not a bad price. If I'm time constricted with the NEW 06(mid Jan delivery), I might drop the car off to the detailer.

16. tag

tag Senior Member

That's an unbelievable price, provided they do a decent job. I would have paid that much had the dealer offered it when I bought my 04. I'd pay that much now, actually.

17. tag

tag Senior Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Great movie. In the top ten of my personal all-time favs.