1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Paint Quality on Plastic Bumper Cover Question?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by brighamwj, May 11, 2007.

1. brighamwj

brighamwj Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fellow PRIUSCHATTERS,

Who knows if a good body shop can match the OEM Toyota paint quality on the plastic bumper cover? Judging by the feedback received, this is an unusually pedestrian posting topic.

This is the first new vehicle I have owned and I have been very fastidious about its maintenance and appearance. After 20 years of driving old Ford F-150s I have seen the light but also have turned over a new leaf by caring for the external car instead of just the internal workings. I am trying to keep this little black wundercar pristine.

I had my rear bumper re-painted by a supposedly high quality body shop and after several tries (3 in a month), under insurance, it still looks like an Earl Sheib or MAACO job instead of the plastic glass that a new Prius bumper looks like.

Does anyone know if a body shop can get the job done right or is the sub-standard "peel look" the norm on repainted plastic bumpers? My repaint would never have left the assembly line. It is definetly not a match with the previous paint quality which was akin to black glass on the plastic areas (bumper covers and sideview mirrow covers)

My Prius is black so it catches everything in the sunlight.

I am in Southern Cal and need to get the bumper fixed correctly. I am wondering if it can be brought back to the Toyota paint quality. I know the difficulties involved in adding vinyl to the paint when painting plastic and the fact that the Toyota painting process is automated and done in a controlled environment.

Please make suggestions or offer insights as to: what kind of bodyshops to look for or specific recommendations in Orange County. I went to C&W in Costa Mesa and they just couldn't get it done back to the original quality. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you and Best Regards,

Brig

Oh Yeah, this is kind of funny I have been driving a rented Focus for the last 3 weeks and it is a costing my almost twice as much in gas ($3.50) with the most miserly 2.0 PZEV engine that Ford of the Americas puts in a vehicle. Anyone who has written this post off as an overly meticulous obsession (true) will understand that despite the fixation over the vehicles appearance, I am still acutely aware of the real value that sets the Prius in league of its own.

Quiet
    Smooth
    Good jump off the line to 20 MPH
    Handsome and comfortable interior that doesn't look cheap
    Amazing integration of technology (nothing else is in its league still!)
    And nobody on Priuschat gives a darn about mpg. Apparently, I am a hog. I average between 42 and 44.

Still great MPG even if you aren't patient enough to pulse and glide. :eek:

2. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brighamwj @ May 11 2007, 06:43 PM) [snapback]440317[/snapback]</div>
    The challenge is to find a "good" body shop. In particular, you are looking for a good paintshop. The dealer group I purchased my Prius from has a really good body and paintshop. I know from personal experience that they can match OEM quality on plastic bumper covers as I had someone back into my bumper (little round dimple where the exhaust tip of the other car backed into my car). No damage to the car other than the dimple in/on the front bumper, but still $750 for a repair and repaint. Insurance covered everything but $250 (my Collision deductible) and you can't tell the difference between my front bumper and the front bumper of a car that just rolled off the transport truck at the dealer.

How to find a good paintshop? It would seem that you have some research ahead of you. I would start by contacting the high-end car dealers for referrals. Visit the shops and ask to see examples of their work on plastic bumpers like the Prius has.

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brighamwj @ May 11 2007, 06:43 PM) [snapback]440317[/snapback]</div>
    I have had my rear bumper painted twice following two separate collisions. The second time, the bumper had to be replaced and painted. Both time the car was returned to me with the bumper looking as if the car just came off the assembly line. There is no reason that a quality body shop should not be able to get it right.

I had the work done by Keyes Collision Center in Van Nuys. I know it is about a fifty miles drive for you, but if you are such a stickler for perfection, it may be worth the drive.

4. brighamwj

brighamwj Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ May 13 2007, 03:21 PM) [snapback]441154[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the tip. This is a replacement that doesn't look like it came of the assembly line. I will try to get some information from a high quality paint/body shops locally.