1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Paint scratches easily

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FishHawk, Jul 19, 2008.

1. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

I have noticed that my megnetic grey paint is prone to scratches. Is it just me or is the paint rather soft? FishHawk

2. kayak_hauler

kayak_hauler New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Mine seems to chip awefully easily. I've only had it 6 months and it allready has quite a few chips in the front. Planning on picking up touch-up paint next time I'm at the dealer. The paint does seem pretty soft/thin to me.

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've noticed with all my Prii, 04, 05 Silver and now 08 Seaside Pearl that they DO tend to scratch easily. This is one reason I hesitat to take my Prius thru an auto carwash. I agree that the paint seems rather "soft"

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Toyota uses an environmentally friendly paint system for the Prius, but the results are not as durable as the old high VOH type paints.

Tom

5. rkskeet

rkskeet New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Are there any types of waxes, sealers, etc.. that could help make the paint more rugged?

6. go4less

go4less New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Interesting----I still have 6 weeks wait to get my 2008 but I am thinking that maybe I should consider the paint protection the dealer offers. Or what are some good after market products?.. The more I look the more they all seem the same----- Any thoughts on this?

7. kayak_hauler

kayak_hauler New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    go4less,

I wouldn't bother. I got talked into it by the 'hard sell', but it doesn't cover dings or scratches, just anything that sticks to the paint. IMHO, wash and wax, and you probably will never need it. We did have a problem with pine sap when we were living in Georgia, however, so I got talked into it....

8. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    resist the dealer's pitch...it's worthless!

9. kazots

kazots LifesaBeach

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I put a "clear bra" on it seems to help. I taken a couple of thousand mile trips when I first got my
    Prius
    It stopped the chips and all the stuff I gathered during the trips.

10. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Don't take it through a car wash, unless it's touchless.

11. JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt Señior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The paint is not good at resisting scratches or rock chips. DO get the clear 3M-type bra installed after delivery. Many tint shops sell/install it. It will save the front of your Prius from looking like it took a blast from a shotgun. I would get the strip above the windshield done as well.

I've not had any problems with the non-touchless car washes, but the one I go to is very new. And I don't trust the gas station car washes.