1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Painted rims

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Bob Allen, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My OEM rims had a few dings in them and I was fortunate enough to get a brand new pair from a fellow Priuschatter, so I decided to play with tarting up my old rims for fun. I have pictures of a Seaside Blue Prius in my computer and it's easy to use PhotoShop to color the rims to find a color that looks good.

I went first with pink, and actually painted the rims, but that was a little too strong. Other colors that I thought would be ok were emerald green, maroon and tan. I opted for the green.

I'll keep my new rims if I ever need to go back to looking stock.
    [attachmentid=10419][attachmentid=10420]

Attached Files:

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    cool! It makes the rim look bigger.

Have you looked at the thread regarding painting the trim rings? There are some cool PS shots in there!

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, that's hilarious. I in fact spotted a similar thing in the DC
    area just last week:
    [​IMG]
    But rather than experiment with actual paint, a while back I explored
    various scenarios via the miracle of GIMP. In the end, I just
    decided to pull the rings, but I might go back and play at some
    point.
    _H*

Sezy likes this.
  4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Interesting... The floating asterisks make the rims look bigger..... Just add chrome edges..

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Aug 6 2007, 06:20 PM) [snapback]491618[/snapback]</div>
    I like the ones painted the same as body color.

I saw a Prius in my area where they had polished the wheels and left the trim rings off. I had to look a second time to make sure they were stock wheels. They actually looked pretty good polished, IMO.

Has anyone ever gotten an "official" Toyota explanation on why they designed the trim rings for an alloy wheel? :blink:

6. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I took my rims off, I liked the rimless look better, BUT....I like the idea of painting them. just the way it is shown...thinking of black. The car is silver, and I think black would be a good choice, I think it will look good with the dark tinted windows. If it does come out good, I will keep those rims on the car. Recommendation of what paint should be used?

7. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AOV @ Aug 9 2007, 09:51 PM) [snapback]492940[/snapback]</div>
    I've done hand painted car graphics on about 15 cars over the years; my Prius is the first car I've owned in 30 years that does not have a graphic design. I use "One Shot" brand enamels which are available at sign painting outlets. Check Google for a dealer near you. Their paints are bulletproof and are intended for just this sort of thing. "One Shot" means you only need one coat. The paint is very pigment heavy and goes on nicely, especially if you use foam brushes. Wide range of colors. Some of my paint jobs are still holding up well after more than ten years.

8. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I will Google it, Thanks.

9. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AOV @ Aug 10 2007, 09:23 AM) [snapback]493310[/snapback]</div>
    Google "1 Shot"; the brand name uses the numeral "1" instead of the word "One".

10. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Angel Flight Pilot @ Aug 10 2007, 12:24 AM) [snapback]493388[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks again, it took me right to the manufacturer. Looked up the distributors, no one local, so I will give them a call to see if there is anyone closer. Been giving it some thought, probably won't go with the basic black, might be too drastic, I could add white to it, and get it to a charcoal color. I most likely have some foam brushes laying around the house somewhere, and masking tape. Question...do you think the "Super Gloss Clear" is needed or necessary?

11. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AOV @ Aug 10 2007, 06:32 PM) [snapback]493454[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure what "super gloss clear" is, well, obviously, it's some sort of transparent cover, but is it made by the 1 Shot folks? I don't think you'll need a clear coat, however; this paint is pretty tough. I'd also skip the masking tape. The sections of the rims you'll paint have edges, meaning that there is a gap between the parts you paint and the parts of the rim you'll leave unpainted. Start at the center of each section you wish to paint and move outward to the edges, including towards the rim. The nice thing about foam brushes is that you can paint right up to the edge and as long as your strokes move away from the center towards the edges (as if you were driving off a cliff), the paint will stop at the edge. Masking tape will not fit smoothly along the outer edge of the rims. To paint to the rim, apply the paint outward towards the rim, stopping short of the actual edge, and then use a paper towel over your finger tip to wipe off the excess, leaving a nice 1/8in band of unpainted plastic. You don't need to be terribly precise because no one is going to be laying on the sidewalk trying to get a close up of your paint job. From a distance of only a few feet, they will look great.

The paint will set up in about an hour and will be safe to handle in three hours or so. Overnight works best.
    Post photos.

I just repainted mine in a blue that is a fair match with Seaside, but not exact. Unfortunately, 1 Shot doesn't have a blue that's any closer and I didn't want to use ordinary paint.
    Bob

12. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    "You don't need to be terribly precise because no one is going to be laying on the sidewalk trying to get a close up of your paint job. From a distance of only a few feet, they will look great."

No, I can't imagine strangers doing that, but I can bet you that the people that I will tell will be curious to check out my work, up close too!
    Yes, the Super Gloss Clear is "1 Shot's" product.
    Traveling through a few states this weekend, will stop at one of the distributors on my way, to pick up the paint, no one local here. Didn't want to pay the additional shipping charge for flammables.
    By the way, my husband thinks that I am nuts.
    Audrey

13. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AOV @ Aug 10 2007, 02:11 PM) [snapback]493704[/snapback]</div>
    We should start a club... :D

14. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    And it all started with having my windows tinted, darker than the law allows, but I could not see spending the $$ and have nothing to show for it.
    Upgraded the tires to Goodyear TT, the 195's....he thought I should have waited longer, the stock ones only had 4500 miles on them.
    Then, the purchase and installation of the BT Plate, there was a questionable look on his face.
    Ordered, received, yet not installed...the mud guards, he is still wondering why I need those.
    I did mention that I would like that sunroof that's been posted here, on this forum. So far, can't find anyone who is going to do it, not giving up yet. I think ....he is "giving up".
    Then, I removed the rings, for a better look, he said nothing, until I announced that I am going to paint them.
    Need I say more?

15. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AOV @ Aug 11 2007, 06:37 PM) [snapback]493931[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe we are all nuts. I recently went to a memorial for a dear friend who died at 79, but who had the spirit and creativity of a child; boundless love and energy, somewhat like "Maude", of "Harold and Maude". One lesson she taught all of us, and which was articulated beautifully by her daughter, was "do it". She had a whacky, artistic energy and was into multiple media, meticulous detail, and endless recycling of things no one ever thought had artistic potential. She spent the last ten years slowly fading into dementia, but never lost her curiosity about the world. I say all of this because painting wheel rims on a Prius is a way of stamping a machine made object with the personality of a specific human. That's our role in the cosmos. Have fun, and know you aren't alone.

p.s. I repainted my rims blue (third color selection) and will probably keep them blue to go with the Seaside Pearl.

16. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Nice writing and nicely written.

My wheel rings are painting!
    I started with mixing black and white, so it would be less of a drastic color if I just used black, but....the charcoal color did not match well, being that I have the Classic Silver Metallic, and dark tinted windows.
    Great match for the Magnetic Gray though!
    So, I repainted it in black. The only thing that kind of bugs me....it's high gloss, stands out a lot, now that it is jet black, I would have liked to paint it in semi-gloss. Wondering if there is other paints that can be used for this purpose that would come in semi-gloss. My other thought was to spray my tires with that "Extreme tire shine" product. My oldest daughter does it to her tires, and they get that "new look".
    Otherwise, I think it looks great.
    As soon as I locate my youngest daughter's digital camera and figure out how to post pics here, I will.
    I think its worth posting.

17. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AOV @ Aug 14 2007, 09:57 PM) [snapback]495337[/snapback]</div>
    The only black I had available was high gloss, and I expected the same result you described. Flat black would probably work and look much sharper, AND you wouldn't need to spray your tires.

Uploading photos is easy if your digital camera has a cable to connect it with your computer, and your computer has a decent photo/graphic capability. If you're running Windows 2000 and up, you probably have a media capability already. Once you plug your camera into your PC and turn it on, the PC will read your camera as a storage device and give you the option of opening up your photos. I created a directory in my PC for Prius, with subfolders for various categories. Copy and paste from the photo directory onto your hard drive. The browse function at the bottom of your PriusChat post form is pretty easy to use. Browse to the folder that has the pictures you want to up load and open them. In a moment or two, the titles will appear in your post and you have the option of having them be visible as soon as someone opens your post.

I'd like to see your photos.

18. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That tire shine crap will eventually eat your sidewalls.
    _H*

19. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Aug 14 2007, 09:45 PM) [snapback]495773[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the input, your the second person that told me to leave the tires as they are.

20. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I once read a tire care pamphlet published by Bridgestone back in the 80's which recommended cleaning the tires with soap and water using brush to clean the sidewalls. The tires actually have anti - oxidant materials built in which help protect the sidewalls as long as you keep them clean so that it can migrate to the surface.

I wasn't able to find the Bridgestone info online, but found a similar suggestion on an RV tire care page:

http://rvbasics.com/techtips/rv-tire-care.html