1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Painted Wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by malibucarl, Feb 21, 2007.

1. malibucarl

malibucarl Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Does anybody know if there are painted wheels ( white) available for the current Prius ??
    Thanx,
    Carl

2. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malibucarl @ Feb 21 2007, 05:02 PM) [snapback]394171[/snapback]</div>
    Go to Tirerack.com web site and have fun.

3. slvr_phoenix

slvr_phoenix Tinker Gnome

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Now, I won't guarantee this to work as I've never personally done it, but...

Step 1 ) Go to Walmart, Kmart, or other store of your choice so long as they sell the supplies listed in Step 2.
    Step 2 ) Buy a dropcloth and a good can of white* spraypaint.
    Step 3 ) Come home. Put Prius in park. Turn Prius off. (So the wily beast doesn't escape.)
    Step 4 ) With both hands hooking your fingers behind the outer edge of the wheel covers from the inside holes (being sure to grasp two locations on the wheel covers in 180 degrees of opposition) yank hard, trying not to fall on your behind in the process when it comes free.
    Step 5 ) Paint the wheel cover with affore purchased paint, preferably on the dropcloth.
    Step 6 ) Once dried, put the wheel covers back on.
    Step 7 ) Stand back, admire your work, and tell your Prius what a beautiful beastie it is in a soothing voice so that it doesn't get scared about having new shoes. It may also help to tell your Prius that the newly coloured wheel covers don't make it look fat.

* = Other colours may be substituted for white, but will result in unwhiteness of the wheel covers to varying degrees in a direct relation to the unwhiteness of the colour of paint chosen.

4. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Silver Phoenix @ Feb 22 2007, 10:48 AM) [snapback]394671[/snapback]</div>
    Most people who want a durable color coat on wheels will have them powder coated. The tires and air sensor must be removed, and the wheel stripped, and the powder coat (any color) applied. Any powder coat shop can do it.

5. slvr_phoenix

slvr_phoenix Tinker Gnome

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Feb 22 2007, 02:49 PM) [snapback]394770[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps you're not aware that the Prius wheels have cheezy plastic wheel covers on them that cover the (actually very fine looking) alloy rims? Just paint the wheel covers. No need to go nuts and alter the rims just to change the color of a cheap plastic hubcap. :lol:

6. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Silver Phoenix @ Feb 23 2007, 11:23 AM) [snapback]395349[/snapback]</div>
    My trim rings "dissappeared" the first week I had the car. I'm not advocating painting the rims, but the OP was asking the best way to do it. As far as I know, powder coat is the most durable cost effective way, though you could have them color adodized, being aluminium. Remove the rings first though. B)