1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Painting the XM antenna

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by raf, Apr 1, 2005.

1. raf

raf Junior Member

I just got the XM radio from Coastal. Is there any problem with painting the antenna to match the car?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably not...but I've been waiting for someone else to try it before I try mine!!!

Take some photos and let us know how it came out!

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Evan, you could just put it inside the spoiler...

;-)

Nate

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius\";p=\"77808)</div>
    Nate, if I ever come out to your area of the country in the Prius I may just let you do that for me. I miss the streamlined look I used to have with the micro antenna of my XM Commander and would like to be less conspicuous.

5. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Evan, you could always just get the xmicro and put it on the roof instead. It's very small, and the coax cable is so thin it can slip past the hatch seal without a problem.

By the way, as far as painting the antenna, I'm sure it's fine.

I have:
    -Replaced my antenna with a smaller one
    -Replaced a two-lead antenna with a single lead one with a splitter
    -Mounted the antenna at a lower point on the car (spoiler height)
    -Mounted the antenna INSIDE the spoiler, which is painted

and I haven't noticed any signal problems. It works fine inside my garage with the metal door closed. It works 20 feet inside an underground concrete parking garage before the signal finally dies.

Paint will not make a difference.

Nate

6. jsk1998

jsk1998 New Member

Paint would only be a problem if there is metallic content in the paint itself.

7. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I doubt it. Metallic paint is typically mica, not metal. White (containing titanium oxide) might be more of a concern.

Nate

8. raf

raf Junior Member

Ours is Tideland Pearl.

9. rflagg

rflagg Member

Do what I did...match the car to the antenna!

Well, ok, it wasn't on purpose that I got a black car, but it still worked out good. But a micro antenna just might help with the mileage, I might look into that... ;)

-m.

10. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re:XM worth 140 bucks a year?

Hi: I'm considering getting XM radio. XM provided traffic advisories for the Seattle area, which would be helpful. Do you guys really like it? would you do it again? I was thinking of the 99.00 unit that apparently comes with everything I would need. I don't want to hardwire it into the car and it looks like I wouldn't have to.
    Bob
    p.s. alternative would be a wireless ipod, but then I'd have to do all my own programming; still, it would save me 150 bucks a year.

11. rflagg

rflagg Member

Absolutely I like XM, Bob. In fact, you might find that once you get one for the car, you'll want one for the house, and so on.

Living in the DC area, I've enjoyed having the local traffic advisory channel - I'd really like XM's NavTraffic, but it's not yet available for our NAV systems - oh well. The traffic/weather helped out greatly when last fall I was driving home in a severe thunderstorm and they were listing where the tornadoes were touching down.

Another neat thing that they have that, fortunately, they don't have to use too often is an emergency channel - I believe it's 248. Last year during the hurricane that hit here, that channel had info for all the states affected, who needed to seek shelter, and so on.

Besides having that aspect, the non-repeating music without commercials, the comedy channels, the news channels - and Air America, though I haven't listened to that since the election. Right now at work, I have on AudioVisions, Channel 77, which is a new-age background music sort of channel, perfect for calming the nerves at work.

I suggest trying it out, giving it a month to see what you think. If you don't like it or think it's worth it, you can always ebay it!

-m.

12. raf

raf Junior Member

I've only had mine working since Monday, but so far it's great.

13. quiddich

quiddich Junior Member

The emergency channel is 247 (as in "24/7 emergency info"). I hope never to need to listen, but it's good to know anyway!

14. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The sound quality on my XM radio is downright awful. (I've been able to compare XM to FM once by sheer chance... John Mayer "Bigger than my Body" almost in sync on both.

Switching back and forth, you could really hear how bad XM sounds. (Yes, I have the toyota kit). The best sound I get is from my ipod through my cassette deck. (Strangely, better than the CD...)

Nate

15. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Your poor reception is probably directly related to the XM radio's FM modulator. Using the FM mod your XM reception will never be cleaner than your best FM reception since your XM is broadcast through your FM receiver.

I can't say enough good things about the sound quality of the PriusXM integrated unit. Besides the cool factor of accessing the tuner through the MFD (and steering wheel controls), the signal is crystal clear, much better than FM.

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Randalla,
    I believe Nate mentioned he has the integrated unit...in fact I know he does from old posts.

Nate,
    I do not have the ear of a serious audiophile for sure, but my XM sound is FAR from 'terrible' and is at least equivalent to FM radio though certainly not as 'full' as a CD.

Do you not wonder if part of the problem could be with your antenna mount location and the conversion from 2 lead to 1 for your antenna cable?

17. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nate, also remember that you are just outside of Denver, which I'm sure has a plethora of ground repeaters. My XM drops out about 100x more often than my brother's, who lives just outside of Charlotte. So it's all about location.