1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pairing 2006 Prius with computer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Syclone, May 18, 2006.

1. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I been reading various threads about getting phone book info from a Mot E815 (Verizon) into my 2006 Prius. Modifying the phone to enable OBEX looked a little to dangerous ( possibility of frying the phone's operating system), so I used my Susteen cable and Data Pilot to download the phone book to my laptop.

Using Data Pilot I exported the file to Outlook and created a Vcard file. Then I tried to pair the laptop with the Prius using a Belkin bluetooth dongle. The laptop discovers the Prius and I can enter the passcode. Then the bluetooth places box shows the Prius as an audio device, but it has no services. The Prius, however, never shows the laptop at all! If I try to access the Prius without the proper passcode, an error message appears on the Prius screen, but when the passcode is correct there is nothing to indicate that the Prius is talking to the laptop.

When I attempt a transfer anyway, the laptop says the transfer failed because it received no communication from the Prius. It also talks about OBEX push objects.

anybody have any ideas? Would I have better luck with the D-Link Dbt-120?

Sy COhen

2. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There was a trick which allowed you to half-pair a 2004/2005 Prius to a laptop, and sneak the laptop in when the Prius was trying to talk to the phone. I've personally made this work with my laptop, a 2005 Prius, and my E815.

However, neither I, nor anyone else (to my knowledge - feel free to proove me wrong anyone), has made this trick work with a 2006. Same phone, same laptop, couldn't make it happen.

The trick that worked on slightly older cars, was without a doubt a bug in their bluetooth handling (quite frankly, it never should have worked). I suspect the bug was fixed in the 2006's, makeing what you and I are trying to do impossible.

-Ken

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ May 18 2006, 08:23 PM) [snapback]257849[/snapback]</div>
    I have an e815 and, FWIW, even with OBEX enabled, you wouldn't be able to send the phonebook. OOP is necessary to do that, and that nut hasn't been cracked yet.

4. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ May 19 2006, 12:40 AM) [snapback]257887[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the phonebook to the laptop to get around the OOP problem. Presumably, the Microsoft's bluetooth wizard, with its built in transfer functions has those capabilities. My problem seems to be that the laptop and the Prius never fully pair with each other. As I said, the laptop sees and lists the Prius, but the Prius never registers the laptop in its directory. I will be returning the Belkin adapter and trying a D-link unit (DBT-120). It looks like the firmware/software that comes with the D-Link unit may do the job. I believe that any source that do an OBEX "push" and has OOP can take over and initiate the exchange. I actually was able to download my phonebook from my E815 to a Bluetooth enabled I-MAC at the local Apple store.

This has become sort of an obsession with me. Although there are about 250 contacts on the phone, all I need from day to day are 20 - 30. Since the '06 Prius has the ability to have numbers entered from the MFD, I could probably enter them in less than an hour - far less than I have spent on this quest - to date. But, what the heck - it keeps me out of the bars!

By the way, if anybody is interested, I just had a local custom shop install leather seats ( send there by the dealer). While I was there, I asked about side moldings. They are installing them for $160.00. When I placed the order for the car, the dealer was asking $495 for the same moldings. I think the accessories manager was insulted because I couldn't stop laughing for about a minute. Utilizing my old sales stealth techinques ( reading upside down) I saw that the custom shop was paying $85.00 for the moldings. Unfortunately, the name of the vendor was covered.

Sy Cohen

5. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kdmorse @ May 18 2006, 11:39 PM) [snapback]257854[/snapback]</div>
    Ken:

If you would care to outline how you tried (and succeeded) sneaking the laptop in, I will give it a try. I'll let you know what happened.

Sy Cohen