1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pairing two separate cell phone nos.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by calpal, Jan 27, 2009.

1. calpal

calpal New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Would like to know if the Prius can PAIR two separate cell phone numbers. So far, when I try to pair a second cell phone number, it gets on, but bumps off the one already on.

2. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You should be able to store pairing info for up to 3 phones (or is it 6?). We have two of the slots occupied in my wife's Prius, for example.
    But you have to manually switch from one to another, which misses the whole point, in my opinion. A better approach would be to automatically pair to whatever phone is in the car, and give me a choice if more than one phone is there...

Check the manual, I don't remember the steps, but you get to the paired phones screen from the main phone screen. You can add new phones or switch which one gets paired "automatically".

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can also disable auto-connect, after which you manually select which paired phone to use.

For the previous poster, if the Prius were allowed to automatically select which of two paired phones to use, how would it decide which to use when both phones were present? Or perhaps you are thinking of having it automatically select when only one of two possible phones is in the car. That would make sense, and be technically possible.

For the OP, as the previous poster states, you can pair multiple phones, but the Prius will only use one at a time. You switch between the paired phones from the MFD touch screen.

Tom

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Think of the Prius as a headset. You can only plug it into one cellphone at a time. The "cord" is the bluetooth connection.

You can have as many as six phones in the bluetooth memory of the car, but you must "unplug" the one it's using and "plug in" the one you want to use. This is a two or three button sequence, so it's not too bad.

The possibilities mentioned in previous posts would be nice, but based on my experience with all kinds of bluetooth items, it (bluetooth) is flacky enough already to tempt fate. ;)

5. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    calpal,
    By any chance, were you trying to pair two cell phones of the same brand and model?
    If that was the case, then, the Prius may get confused since both would have the same BT Name
    and same passcode (unless you change it). The Prius might think that you are replacing the 1st one. (though there are long encrypted BT ID that could distinguish the two phones...) You can change the BT name on your phone before pairing.
    e.g. Brian's Motorola or Kathy's Motorola
    Just a thought.