1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Panel lighting ideas?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Bob Allen, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Any ideas about panel lighting? I mounted a compass next to the MFD on the driver's side, and I'd like to be able to see it at night. So far, I haven't been able to find an easy-to-install light source. There seems no place to hang a light and the wires.
    My thoughts of possible connections:
    1. from the wiring to the driver's side sun visor to a light attached to the backside of the rear view mirror. How to get into that wiring?
    2. from the overhead light box, just above the little sunglasses compartment to a light behind the rear view mirror. How to access wiring?
    3. some sort of side mounted lights attached to the door pillars behind the driver and front seat passenger, with, perhaps, shielding so that they aren't shining into back seat passenger's eyes.
    4. some artsy-fartsy thin gooseneck cable connected to the outlet under the dash and snaking up to the dash panel, held in place by a little clip inserted into one of the seams on the dash.
    5. a flexible slat inserted into the tops of the doorposts where they meet the roofliner and arcing over the ceiling, to which could be attached some discreet small 12 light aimed at the panel. Not sure if it would stay put and I don't want to physically attach it to the ceiling liner.

If anyone has figured out how to make the interior less like a cave at night, I'd be happy. I'd like to avoid drilling holes in anything. It's my only serious complaint really. The MFD at night looks like a TV set in a very dingy bar; the contrast is pretty hard to adjust to, even with the MFD in night mode.
    Bob

2. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    You say that like it's a bad thing. I don't know, with the right music ("Strangers in the Night"?), that could get me in the mood.

3. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

Bob, if you have one with a NAV system, you can choose so the display in map mode IS a compass... DO you have one that can show this?

4. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Sounds like you have the new pri. I have the classic, so my comments may be off. Can you pop the cover off the MFD and snake a wire to something in there? Then just run a wire over to the compass, pop the cover back on over the wire.

A couple of LEDs would light it up nicely and they are dimmable. You could mount them in anything that didn't slide around too much.

They also make car compasses that have built in lighting, you could do a swap.

If you want your light to be mounted up by the ceiling somewhere you might want to get a laser pointer, hook it up to a power supply, put something over the emmiter to spread the beam enough to illuminate the entire face of the compass.

If you put an ordinary 12 volt bulb up by the ceiling you will have to work on focussing the beam so it doesn't light up the entire dash and reflect onto the window.

As far as cave-like goes, how about some electroluminescent wire?

5. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Electroluminescent wire? Sounds cool. Is there really such a thing? Does it work like a light bulb filament?

Swapping out the battery light inside the compass won't work because a continuously on light, even a small one, would produce too much heat.
    I did manage to find a nifty blue led light that plugs into the power outlet.
    Helps somewhat. I'm getting used to the "cave" effect at night.
    Bob

6. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Brad,
    I assume you are talking about the itty bitty little N sign in the upper left that is impossible to see from the driver's seat?

Or is there a bigger compass I am missing???????
    I have GPS.....
    8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

7. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

Compass mode with nav.

Yes. Tell the car you want "Compass Mode". You'll like it. It also tells you where you are by Latitude and longitude and gives you the street addresses as you drive down the street.

8. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    >Electroluminescent wire? Sounds cool. Is there really such a thing?
    >Does it work like a light bulb filament?

http://www.elwirecheap.com/

>Swapping out the battery light inside the compass won't work because
    >a continuously on light, even a small one, would produce too much
    >heat.

Not an incandescent bulb, a LED. A LED would run cool. Or swap the entire unit for a compass that comes with a light already in it.

>I did manage to find a nifty blue led light that plugs into the
    >power outlet. Helps somewhat. I'm getting used to the "cave"
    >effect at night.

(pictures little dangling glow-in-the-dark bats, all of them grinning merrilly...)

9. techogurl

techogurl New Member

I just thought that I would mention that Electroluminescent wire while really cool to look at requires maintainance. Basically it will keep its brightness for about a year, then it will be obvious that the intensity has faded. It's not a bad investment, but just realize it's not really a permanent deal.