1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Panic Button

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fleubis, Dec 29, 2005.

1. fleubis

fleubis New Member

Having just taken delivery of my new '06 Prius and am comparing it to my old '03 Classic Prius. Now this may sound lame, but I used the Panic Button to find my Prius in some of the very large parking lots we have around here in South Florida. Now my '03 had a range of over 100', however my new '06 seems to have only about a 20' range. Anybody else notice this decreased range of the Panic Button?

2. Wynder

Wynder New Member

When I was testing at the dealer, I found about 20-30 feet or so, yes.

3. Astrotoy7

Astrotoy7 New Member

lolz... I didnt know about this feature....(I dont have smart entry)

is that range helpful.... ?? if you cant spot the car from within 20 feet, then theres perhaps a greater problem at hand(like eyesight!!)

4. Kestrel

Kestrel Bird geek

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Try pressing the fob against your upper neck/chin/jaw when you press the button. It sounds crazy, I know, but it dramatically increased the range on my old Camry and on the other cars I've tried it on. I haven't tried it with my Prius fob yet.

I found explanations for it in a couple of other car forums, some claiming the body acts as an antenna and others claiming just that holding it higher than usual is what makes it work--nothing definitive or truly credible sounding, though.

5. Wynder

Wynder New Member

This does work -- however, you are technically breaking FCC law by modifying a signal in a manner in which it was not inteded to be transmitted. Doubt you'd ever get busted though! :lol:

6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yup, holding it to your chin does for some reason work wonders. I've done that for years on cars I have had with the remote start.

7. Mom-Bo

Mom-Bo New Member

My Prius is on order, but I drive an '04 Beetle Convertilbe now. I noticed the same thing. My fob for my '02 Highlander (pre-Beetle) would work from really far away and my Beetle only works right up close. A guy at work drives a Porsche Cayenne (he's a consultant, no we don't pay that much!) and he says he was told it's a newer "laser" technolgy rather than the radio technology which the older, longer distance ones were. He said the laser ones are more secure.

I don't know if it's true, but it seems to make sense.

M

8. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I doubt it is laser--laser is extremely directional and strictly line-of-sight, so unless you aim it right at the car (and the right part of the car at that), a laser will fail.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    mine works at ranges of at least 100 feet