1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parade Magazine -- hybrid owners don't save money

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Beryl Octet, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Am I the only one who gets irritated by these little "news" stories? I sure don't read anything like 4x4 owners don't save money, or leather seat buyers don't save money, etc. We needed a car as our old one was 12 years old, and we were looking at BMW 3-series, Volvo S60, VW Passat, etc., before getting interested in a Prius. So, we probably did save at least six thousand bucks by my calculations, without even considering MPG.

What's Parade magazine? It arrives in our local Sunday paper, I think it either has clones or is the same thing by a different name in various parts of the country.

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Eh, it's the mindset that the ONLY reason that you buy a Prius is because of the price of gas. This is often used as an excuse NOT to buy a Prius. In a sense it's true, you can get a cheaper car that that's nearly as fuel efficient and save money. One person even suggested putting the cost difference between a Prius and a cheaper car and investing it. The dividends could pay for your gas.

But that wasn't the main reason I got the Prius. I liked what it was doing for the environment and the gadgets.

3. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Sep 19 2006, 03:59 PM) [snapback]321822[/snapback]</div>
    No, I get annoyed by these "news bits" too. I wrote an email to the writer of that article and asked him specific questions about the it. For instance, he said something about paying a premium for a Prius, I asked what he meant by that. I'm still waiting for a response.

Here's the article in case you missed it.
    Are Hybrids Worth The Hype?

By Paul A. Eisenstein
    Published: September 17, 2006

Sales of hybrid cars jumped 26 percent earlier this year, as gas prices soared and federal tax credits promised a discount of up to $3,400 for new owners. (Credits vary, based on fuel efficiency.)

But is a hybrid right for you? Even with tax incentives, analysts say, most motorists won’t save money during a hybrid’s normal ownership cycle. While hybrids can get up to 60 mpg, many models do best in stop-and-go city driving. Spend lots of time cruising at highway speeds, and the mileage might plunge by 25 percent or more.

But don’t give up on hybrids: The equation may change with new, less-expensive models, such as Saturn’s Vue Green Line, and more-efficient cars like Toyota’s 2007 Camry Hybrid.

And there are other fuel-efficient options on the horizon:

*Diesels. Forget the “oil burners†of the 1980s. Today’s diesels are quick, smooth and quiet, and can yield better mileage than comparable hybrids. With the introduction of low-sulfur fuel, expect a flush of new entries over the next few years, including Jeep’s Grand Cherokee Diesel, which will likely share the new, super-clean BlueTec engine with the updated 2007 Mercedes E320.

*Plug-ins. The Department of Energy is spending $195 million for battery research that could allow hybrids to drive 40 miles on electricity before switching over to gas. These cars are still a few years from the market, but Toyota could have one ready as soon as 2009.

4. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Sep 19 2006, 04:17 PM) [snapback]321828[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. I could've bought a Honda Civic or something if I *only* wanted to save gas. I just like the idea that the thing runs on electric batteries, and that it's so computerized. It's the car of the future

5. quagmire0

quagmire0 New Member

When all is said and done, my Prius will cost around 21k +tax (after tax rebate). Show me a COMPARABLE car for less. Even if you can find one, the gas mileage is cut in half. :D

6. kat24

kat24 New Member

I admit it. I bought a Prius to save money on gas.

Actually, that is what started me looking at it, and I was blown away! After that, I didn't care if it would save gas money or not. I wanted one!

I have had my car for over a year now, and the more I learn about it (mostly from PC), the more I love it!

7. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Sep 19 2006, 05:17 PM) [snapback]321828[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Aaf,

Lets see, a less expensive high mileage car is going to use $100 dollars of gas in suburban traffic a month, instead of $60 for a Prius at 25 mile one-way commute distance. So, you have to make $40 a month, or $480 a year, at 5% interest, that is a principal of $9600. Hmm, so we are talking a $13K car to break even. If you want to buy a car that cost more than that, a Prius is cheaper on the investment point at this time. And that does not even include the tax credit. Get a Prius before the 30 th of September, and its a $10 K, car, and $ 11.5 K car for the quarter of the year after that.

8. ralphbongo

ralphbongo New Member

Camry 4 cyl. $22K no rebate 29 mpg......Prius $25108.00 out the door -3150.00 tax credit = $21958. Lifetime after 10k miles 49.87 mpg. Thats 140 gals of gas less. Lets see at 2.80 per gal. that =392.00 so far this year. I drive 35k miles per year so thats $1300. per year savings + higher resale + the fun of driving a better vehicle. you do the math... :p

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    how is a camry hybrid more efficient than a prius????

10. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ralph b @ Sep 19 2006, 05:16 PM) [snapback]321960[/snapback]</div>
    Very good, now remove the tax credit. If you got the car in 2005 that won't come into account. What if you got a more expensive model of the Prius? That would increase the difference.

Hey, I know I'm saving money with the Prius, but the "you won't get your money back" is an old excuse. As the OP first said, you won't get your money back buying an expensive car either. :)

11. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 19 2006, 09:46 PM) [snapback]322011[/snapback]</div>
    Ummm ... it's more efficient at emptying your wallet? :p

Keep in mind that that statement is in the same sentence with "You'd be better off waiting for the Saturn" [paraphrased].

12. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Sep 19 2006, 03:59 PM) [snapback]321822[/snapback]</div>
    Its very irritating. No one who buys anything saves money. The only way to save money is to not buy anything. Us Prius owners just spend less in the long run and if not its just a DAMN COOL CAR! :D

13. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The way I see it, saving gas and protecting the environment are "good things" for many reasons, which I will no go into here. The cool Prius hybrid system does that and more-or-less pays for its added cost over time. That makes it a no-brainer for me.

I suppose the crux of the problem is that many people don't appreciate the need to reduce energy use and pollution.

14. kkellly

kkellly New Member

All the people that write this stuff have never owned the car. They just punch some number in there calculators and come out with this non-sense. They will never tell you what numbers they used in fear that they can be proven wrong. I get 55 to 56 MPG with an 80% highway commute. You can find the options that are in the prius on other cars but not at this price. I guess if you use some other hybrid that get lower MPG the numbers might work, but why would I pay more for less.

15. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kkellly @ Sep 20 2006, 07:25 AM) [snapback]322157[/snapback]</div>
    We were looking at more expensive cars, but having been around in the 1970's, I always want something that gets at least reasonable fuel efficiency. Remember odd/even days and gas lines? I sure do. I fell in love with the Prius because of the environmental concerns, but in my heart of hearts, you drive the thing once and it makes you feel like its something close to what the 21st Century should be. Now I'm surprised when cars don't turn off at stoplights. Seems so last century. Now, if I can just find those stats on imported oil usage vs. fuel consumption vs. miles travelled to use with SUV driving friends...

16. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

I still have that box next to my desk, pay myself the difference between my current gas costs, and my old jeep costs for same (at 15mpg). To date now have $3200 in there (a little over 14 months). I am still projecting $30K in 8-10 years. Gas savings yield free car.

17. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Somechic @ Sep 19 2006, 04:22 PM) [snapback]321830[/snapback]</div>
    I read this as a guy happily getting 45MPG on a regular basis, who refuses to pulse-and-glide since that seems like work, and wonder where the problem is? Maybe his electric car was stolen?...

18. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Send your comments to the author! Please. If enough people response and question this guy's article, they will print a correction.
    Granted, I appreciate this forum because we all seem to understand the value of this car, but we need to constructively spread the word.

19. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I save money with my Prius. I invite every writer in the country to my house to tell me otherwise.

Old situation:

Commute 65 miles each way, 5 days a week = 130 miles round trip.
    Vehicle: F250 Ford Diesel pickup. 1999 model, 110k miles on the odometer.
    Cost per mile for fuel: 16.6 cents.
    Cost for tires: About 4 times what it costs for Prius tires, but not factored into my logic of savings.
    Oil change 5k miles: 15 quarts, $20 for the filter (also not included in my figures, but about 4x the prius oil change)
    Insurance: $5/month cheaper than a new Prius.

New situation:
    Commute still 65 miles each way, 130 miles round trip.
    Cost per mile for fuel: 5.3 cents
    Oil change 5k miles: Done by me at home (same as the F250), 3.5 quarts oil, $3.60 for the filter.

I've had the prius for 215 days, driven 24728 miles, so fuel savings there is 16.6 cents - 5.3 cents = 11.3 cents per mile... or $2794 in 215 days. That's $13 bucks a day I save, 7 days a week.

Per year, $4743 in fuel alone.

When you start figuring on pickup tires costing about $800 bucks instead of 250 for the prius, and I save about $40 on oil changes about 8 times a year... it starts to add up.

It really used to hit hard when I got my gas-card credit card bill... $400 to $600 a month just to run that pickup. These people need to come to my house, sit down at my island counter and work out the math with me and show me how this Prius is not saving me any money. I had the old situation. I lived it, and I paid the bills. I have the new situation, I live it and I still pay the bills. I am saving a lot of money with my Prius.

Link to my fuel data below...

20. rebbi

rebbi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deh2k @ Sep 20 2006, 08:03 AM) [snapback]322154[/snapback]</div>
    When the cars the author mentions SHUT THE ENGINE OFF AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY then we'll be talking apple to apples.

Look: Parade is a very culturally conventional, middle-of-the-road kind of publication. It comes stuffed into the Sunday funnies here. It's not going to go out on a limb and say that driving a Prius is a more socially responsible choice than driving a guzzler. It's main focus is inspiring human interest stories and interviews with celebrities you've never heard of. :p

Take care,

Steve