1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Park Button

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by iDonna, Oct 25, 2006.

1. iDonna

iDonna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    OK, I've suppressed this for as long as I could.

Um, my Park button doesn't illuminate until *after* it's engaged and when it does it's just a little dinky light indicator (pul-leeze) and not the button illumination I'm looking for.

This "design" makes the button a little difficult to find in the dark. I have to feel around in the dark to find the park button? (What's up with THAT?)

If this is by design, it's wrong, wrong, wrong!

I'm holding out hope that the button is supposed to illuminate (particularly at night) so it can be easily found and thus engaged and mine is just broken; they'll fix it when I go in for my 5K check up.

Right now I have to turn on my interior light, find the Park button and push it, turn off the interior light. Sounds like a Bill Gates Vista special feature.

Tell me your Park button illuminates in the dark so you can easily find it at night!

;)

-Donna

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I recall it being illuminated just like the joystick shifter. Which part, I don't recall. I'll have to get back to you on that.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm, I guess it's one of those things you just have to get used to if you use your park button frequently in the dark. The location is pretty intuitive after a few uses and there's a series of bumps so you can tell by feel if you have the right one.

Final thought, you do realize that when you turn off the car there is no need to first put it in park? Just push the power button and the car will go into park then shut down in one easy step. I use the park button less than once a week b/c I rarely park and leave the car running.

4. fphinney

fphinney Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 25 2006, 08:56 PM) [snapback]338367[/snapback]</div>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are right, doc! If you watch the dash display closely as you press the "Power" button, you'll get to see the "P" becoming highlighted just before the car shuts down. I guess most people are more concerned with other things, and totally miss this.

You're welcome,

5. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You think that light is bad, look around at your doors at night. There is only one light lit, "auto" on the driver's door. That is a poor design in my opinion.

6. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iDonna @ Oct 25 2006, 05:08 PM) [snapback]338332[/snapback]</div>
    I just turn on the headlights, if I can't see the Park button. Then it gets illuminated.

Dave M.

7. iDonna

iDonna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 25 2006, 09:56 PM) [snapback]338367[/snapback]</div>
    For $30K, I want the "P" on the button to illuminate. <_<

So before sunrise this morning (I was out of milk), I get in the car and notice that the P will illuminate when I power up. (LOL) Of course I'm already in park!?! (Hellloooooo!) The ability to illuminate the P exists. I want the name of the guy who dropped the ball on this fired!! (lol)

Oh yes. But more often than not, I want to sit in my Prius in Park, in the dark with the exterior lights off, gather my things, thoughts, usually complete the track I'm listening to, check the odometer, ... there are things to do before cutting off the power.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Oct 26 2006, 05:32 AM) [snapback]338478[/snapback]</div>
    Probably designed by the same guy in charge of the Park button.

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If you feel comfortable doing a bit of soldering back behind the panels, I'm sure we could come up with a fairly easy bypass for you which would just illuminate the button all the time - if i have some time this weekend I'll pull out my DMM and figure something out.

9. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iDonna @ Oct 25 2006, 08:08 PM) [snapback]338332[/snapback]</div>
    I've never noticed this as a problem, but after I realized I could just hit the power button to park, I've been doing that for the last few months. The whole "park button" design choice does seem strange to me, I don't know why they didn't put that function into the shifter. Folks that I show the car to are invariably surprised that the shift lever doesn't stay in D, but pops back over, and also ask what "B" means. I've left the little sticker that says "Press P to Park", but it's a little ragged looking now.

10. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iDonna @ Oct 26 2006, 10:41 AM) [snapback]338566[/snapback]</div>
    The "P" on mine illuminates when the lights are on, just like it does for the radio, steering wheel buttons, shifter, etc. It is almost as bright as the radio lights and a little brighter than the steering wheel lights. I'm talking about the actual "P", not the green rectangle that lights when it's in Park.

If you can't see the "P" illuminated, perhaps one of the following applies:
    1. You don't have the lights on.
    2. Your dash lights are turned down too low.
    3. The light is not functioning for some reason.
    4. It's too bright out so you can't see the illumination.

Are you having problems with any of the other lights (shifter, steering wheel buttons, etc.)? Definitely have the dealer check it out if none of the above fixes it. You should not have to turn on a light to find the Park button.

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh Crap, just had a thought....
    Not sure if it still applies to later models, but on my Prius there was a little "P" sticker over the actual glowing "P" on the button itself. I left it on forever since it never wore or anything and since I didn't use the "P" button very often. Eventually, a year or so ago, I took it off. Indeed there is a dim glow of the "P" when the headlights are "On". You should be able to see that in the dark.

Check to make sure you don't have a little sticker covering that "P"!

12. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Park button illumination... has not been a factor for me. Since the 'Power' button engages the parking pawls when I turn the ignition off, about the only time I use the 'Park' button is when I stop briefly with the power on.

13. chimohio

chimohio New Member

My 2 cents worth. Read the post yesterday and checked mine on the way to work this morning (o-dark thirty as we used to say).
    The P on the park button was definitely illuminated and my dimmer was even turned down some - maybe they, gasp, wired yours wrong.

14. pault842

pault842 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iDonna @ Oct 25 2006, 08:08 PM) [snapback]338332[/snapback]</div>
    My "Park" button does illuminate at night. I'd never noticed before as I rarely use it. I have an '06 model.

15. nicoss

nicoss New Member

:angry:
    To all of you complaining about this, that & the other on your Prius: :p

SELL THE CAR AND GET ON WITH YOUR LIFE, everybody else enjoys the low emissions & gas savings :lol:

16. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :eek: Hello nicos

My best advice for you is: Don't read PriusChat posts if they bother you so much. Logging-in and reading posts is entirely voluntary.

Enoy your Prius and have a nice day! :D

17. nicoss

nicoss New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Oct 28 2006, 08:37 AM) [snapback]339921[/snapback]</div>
    :p
    http://priuschat.com/Prius-CAN-Monitor-and...-PC-t25759.html
    This is the kind of attitude I expect from PriusChat – complains NOT
    My dog will eat your cat :lol:

18. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nicos @ Oct 28 2006, 09:54 AM) [snapback]339952[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, there are quite a number of complaints. The lack of power seats, the OEM tires and the general handling are biggies. What about the green glare (from the display) that's on the windshield at night? How do you fill the tank when the bladder is new or cold? Or is there a way to take care of the sun on the MFD? And to use your example....What do we do if we have a 2006 and the CAN-VIEW won't work?

These are complaints that owners have and by coming here hope to find solutions.

It's true that any complaint can be answered by either saying:
    • Live with it.
    • Change it.
    • Sell it.
    But if the solution to the problem is a $3 piece of felt, HERE is where we find that out.

For the record, on my 2005, the Park Button illuminates when I power up and goes off when moved into gear. It stays off until I engage it. This isn't a problem with me, as I know where it is and there's enough ambient light if I need to see it.

Peace out!

19. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My park button is lit. The "P" lights up with the rest of the panel lights.

Tom

20. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Oct 28 2006, 01:24 PM) [snapback]339965[/snapback]</div>
    Are you talking about the "P" which is illuminated when the lights are on, or do you mean the green rectangle on the Park button? From your description it sounds like the latter.

By the way, my sentiments exactly to those complaining about others complaining. Quit complaining ... about others complaining ... unless you want to hear me complaining about your complaining! :)