1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Park indefinitely...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MikeB6, Apr 21, 2015.

1. MikeB6

MikeB6 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have a reason to believe that the key to one of my old car (2008 toyta prius) has been stolen. I made an extra key then lost that as well. Now I only have one key but not sure who has the other two. I'm suspecting one my son's friends. In any case, the car is parked at the car port and will be there indefinitely. I would like to know if there is any electronic option that would allow me to disable the car. I would prefer that the car continue to be locked\unlocked but certainly not drive at all. I can remove some cables or fuses\relay, but I would like an option without a backdoor or at least an expensive one. Your thoughts! Thanks.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Remove the stolen keys from memory or you can simply unplug the hv battery service plug

The used keys sell for about $50 on ebay

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And put your 12 V on a maintenance charger.

One question, if you are no longer young to use it, why don't you just sell it?

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...sounds like JC may have the best answer. You could disable smart key button under the steering wheel take out the 12v battery and I think still get in/out with the key. Weaker option but they'd have to know to use the key and then figure out how to buy and replace 12v. There's some cords and relays on the 12v pos and neg posts that if you had those out too (can't recall exactly if those can be taken out) but they'd have some parts to do order.