1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Park new prius on city streets overnight?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fojae, Apr 10, 2007.

1. fojae

fojae New Member

Greetings,

I'm seriously thinking about buying a new prius soon, but I am concerned about parking. I live in Cambridge, MA and would need to park it on a quiet side street a few blocks from Central Square. I have never owned a new car and have never thought twice about parking my '97 camry anywhere, but a new prius would be a whole new world for me. Any thoughts on this? Anyone else park their prius in a similar area?

Also, I disabled the alarm on my camry when I got it used in 2000 (hate those noisy things) and never had a problem. Would I need the "anti-theft system" for a new prius? I was hoping to be able to get away with package #2 (HG) and not have to move up to #3 (HI) which includes the "anti-theft system".

thanks

2. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fojae @ Apr 10 2007, 08:38 AM) [snapback]420729[/snapback]</div>
    I see Priuses parked on the street in our neighborhood in Chicago frequently. We park ours in an alley. No break-in problems so far.

Insofar as the car being stolen, you can't hot-wire a Prius like a normal car. The electronic key makes that impossible. You can read a recent thread on the "stealability" of the Prius here:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&show...st&p=406469

Also, as most cars are stolen for parts, the Prius doesn't have quite the appeal for theives yet, likely due to its still small customer base and possible confusion/worry on the part of chop-shops regarding the technology.

As for whether someone will break a window to try to steal the radio, you should just check out your neighborhood crime stats and see if it is a genuine concern. If so, you might want to consider the alarm package, and this would really tend to hold true for any new car you purchase.
    http://www.cambridgepolice.org/reports/nei...oods/index.html

Good luck with your shopping. Welcome to Priuschat!

3. priussoris

priussoris New Member

We have a new prius package 1 and it came with the "Immobilizer" I think it is a good anti theft device initself,that is in all prius's that I have heard . ask your salesman about the immobilizer.

and again to repeat MegansPrius, the starting system is not like an ordinary car. I would only worry about someone scratching it or hitting it being left on a street.

4. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    By "immobilizer" do you mean the "Park" setting? Or is there something I missed?

Anyway, I live not too far from you fojae, but in a less urban area. Personally I would definitely worry more about someone touching or scratching my new baby than about a break-in. Take a walk around the neighborhood though and I bet you'll see a lot of Priuses parked around there.

The People's Republic of Cambridge, and Brookline across the river are Prius-central these days, so you could probably stalk someone who's driving one and ask them what they think. It sounds like you're pretty close to the T ("subway" for you non-Bostonians) though, so what do you need a car for? :)

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we've got off-street parking, but when we're doing a side job the prius often gets kicked out of its parking space. we're just outside the high crime zone in town but there's enough cause for concern. there are a few simple things i do:

1. do NOT leave any item out and visible in the car. ANYTHING at all. make sure it is all put away or hidden. pull out the tonneau cover in the hatch.
    2. park near a street light
    3. make sure all windows are up and doors are locked.

there's more concern about someone breaking a window and stealing your personal effects than someone stealing the whole car. i keep burned CDs in the car, no originals, and really not much else of value either. everything is hidden. i have had no problems.

6. fojae

fojae New Member

Thanks for all the quick replies!

I gather from your replies that it's already difficult to steal a prius due to the standard rfid immobilizer and that adding an anti-theft system will not make a difference. But the anti-theft option will make it less likely that someone will try to break into the car to steal something. Did I get that right? Also, would a prius radio be worth anything to a thief?

Question for MegansPrius and galaxee: do you have the anti-theft system?

As for why I need a car at all, good question! Here's one reason: It's sad, but now that the mbta fares have gone up so high it will soon cost our family of 4 (once the 9 year old turns 10) 16 dollars to take the red line into Boston for a movie or museum trip. When the kids were little and the fares lower we thought nothing of taking it one stop into harvard square for pizza.

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Apr 10 2007, 06:29 AM) [snapback]420761[/snapback]</div>
    I understand that the HID headlights are the biggest theft target on a Prius, but there hasn't been many posts about someone getting theirs ripped off.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Apr 10 2007, 06:49 AM) [snapback]420777[/snapback]</div>
    It's what MegansPrius said, the immobilizer prevents the Prius from starting without the fob.

8. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Howdy fojae

Posts above are dead on right. I'm on my second Prius in 2½ years and have had no vandalism or theft issues. I recall previous posts regarding the HID {High-Intensity-Discharge} headlights being stolen with accompanying damage to the Prius. Seems this was in the New England areas. As I recall, the HID's were attractive because parts could be modified to make a 'stun gun.' I have seen no reports in the South areas of HID's being stolen. Seems the 'giveaway' of HID's were the fog lights in the lower grill which, by the way, are 'cute' but virtually useless for illumination.

When I traded from '04 to '07 Touring Edition, the HID's were included and they do provide better illumination, particularly on the peripheries - they light the curbs, adjoining lanes and highway side stripes a little better. I did, however, find the Halogen headlights quite adequate on my '04.

Keep reading PriusChat posts, even using "Search" for specific information. It's the best source for useful, practical Prius information - real world experiences of Prius owners.

CIAO B)

9. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fojae @ Apr 10 2007, 10:25 AM) [snapback]420794[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, we've got anti-theft. The main decider on Package 3 for us though was bluetooth, as Megan has a long commute (45 min there, 1-1.5 hours back) and it just makes it safer for her driving and talking to me or her student's parents, etc. I didn't mind that package 3 came with anti-theft, and of course, I just hated having to get an upgraded stereo. :p

Anti-theft is just gonna set off an alarm if someone tries to force your door. I think you might also need the glass breakage sensor if you want the alarm to go off when someone smashes a window to grab that, uh, Ipod or camera left in plain view (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this). We don't have the glass breakage sensor, and keep any cd's in the car out of sight (lots of storage in center console and dual glove boxes). I also try to make sure our Ipod cord doesn't stray out of the center console. The best way, as stated above, to avoid break-ins is to not leave anything valuable in view.

Also, if you're looking at Package 2 or 3, you don't need to worry about the HID headlight issue (that's package 5 or 6 I think). BTW, you might also count the $785 tax credit in your calculation, so long as your family doesn't qualify for Alternative Minimum Tax on your tax returns.

10. Angelus

Angelus New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Apr 10 2007, 08:29 AM) [snapback]420761[/snapback]</div>
    Where do you live in Chicago? I'm in Lakeview and see them parked on the street all the time. I lucked out and have a garage to myself though it got broken into once. They didn't take anything so not sure what the point was.

11. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Apr 10 2007, 10:21 AM) [snapback]420886[/snapback]</div>
    HIDs are stolen because they are easy to steal, and they are worth a ton of $$.

This is why catalytic converters are being stolen ... because they get lots of $$ for them as a result of the platinum used to make them ... not because they are able to midify them into a bayonet. :lol: :lol: