1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Park Switch

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by zdavid, Apr 26, 2009.

1. zdavid

zdavid New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi - I am very new Prius owner, so glad this forum exists.

The owener manual says that pressing the "P" switch while driving could cause significant damage to trans. Although this would be a very stupid thing to intentionally do I could see that this could possibly happen inadvertently by accident or someone not familiar w/ Prius randomly pushing buttons. I would think that since this is an electronic engagement there would be some conditional logic before locking the transmission on a moving vehicle. Anyone have any comment?

Thanks

2. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hi David and welcome to Priuschat. :welcome:
    We're all also glad this forum exists.

About the [Park] button. In 2004, when the GenII was just released, we had all the same questions. Some of the members here - those braver than I - actually tested a lot of them. Here's what they found: the car is much smarter than we give it credit.

I'm going to try and pull this from memory and am sure that someone will correct where I'm wrong.
    For example, shifting into [R] while driving is not possible. Putting the car into [Park] while driving is not possible.

However, if something were to happen to the driver, the passenger can reach over and press-n-hold the (POWER) button for 3-5 seconds and shut down the engine and hybrid system. I believe the brakes, steering, and other critical non-propulsion systems are still fully functional.

And if I remember correctly, it's something like 7mph that is the difference between "can put the car into [P] and can't put the car into [P]. That is to say, if you are above 7mph, the software will not allow it. But below 7mph you can. That's where damage will occur.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As pointed out above, the controller is smart enough to simply shift to N if you try to engage park at high speed. The place to be careful as at low speed. Just as with any other parking pawl, if you engage it while moving slowly you come to a quick stop, and in the process you induce a shock load. The proper procedure with any automatic transmission is to stop first, then shift into park. It is a standard warning for all automatic transmissions.

Tom

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll get 3 beeps and the car will shift to neutral. The same happens if you try to shift to reverse while in motion. It's a lot smarter because it's electronically controlled. With a regular automatic, if you do that, you'll be at the side of the road with a trail of parts behind you.

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    there's only 1 way to drop the parking breaking while over 8mph... short out the 12v line. (i did this yesterday.. and a few times in the past)... you'll hear the parking pin click as it tries to fall into spot... once you drop below 8mph or so, it drops in locking up the driveline.

other than shorting out the car... any other ill intents puts you in neutral...

btw.. you link to an 09 post?.. i tried this in 04 (that's how we get our wreckless data on here.. i give it)