1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parked Prius- making awful sound from brakes? Suspension?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by oasis100, Mar 17, 2014.

1. oasis100

oasis100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    First off, I am aware of a few other threads have posted about the Prius brakes squeaking etc. However, I am not sure how to describe this one- or if anyone else has come across this situation.

Background: 2010 Toyota Prius, roughly 45k, purchased new- Columbus, OH
    Routine service has taken place, most recently was an oil change in February. Based on the normal inspection at the local dealer, nothing was noted as needing service. This situation noted below began a few days ago, not sure if its a weather change? moisture? or what?

Situation: Drive the car 10-15 minutes to the office, pull into the parking spot, press the "P"... get out. As I am getting out of the car, the car rocks slightly back and forth; however, a horrible squeal is present as its rocking. If the emergency brake is applied, rocking is reduced to nearly zero; and the squeal is minimized but the not completely removed. Let the car sit (without the emergency brake on) for 30 minutes, come back to the car, push it on the bumper and back and forth- no sound. Go figure right?

Well, below is a hyperlink, made a quick video after pulling into my garage after work- take a listen, any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome to what is causing this groaning squeaking sound? Note- Prius is scheduled to go in next week - but a heads up on what I am walking into would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
    - Chris

2. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is very far from normal!
    I'd take it to a Toyota dealer ASAP.

3. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sounds like the pad wear indicator is dragging if it even has one. Maybe it came loose or is way out of adjustment.

Though I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. As ny_rob said, take it to the dealer sooner rather than later.

4. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the car actually rocking itself back and forth once you get out?

5. oasis100

oasis100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Car is scheduled for Monday service at Toyota. Yes, when you put the car into park, open the door, and get out, the car rocks slightly- however, you can hear that noise as its rocking slightly. Also, when I pull into the garage and slow down to a complete stop, and sit for a moment with the windows open... you can hear some groaning/ squeaking coming from the same region. Video was of of me, pushing the car slightly back and forth.

Thanks for the replies back! Chris

6. oasis100

oasis100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Update: Car went in for service Monday, picked it up today. Local dealership performed several drives Monday, of course the sound didn't appear at first. However, at the end of the day, the technician was able to hear it but not able to pin-point-it. Today, technician was able to locate it and determined the sound to be coming from the down pipe exhaust gasket. Simply put, after driving the car, the gasket would rattle back into place when parking/getting out of the car. Go figure, Toyota covered replacing the gasket, charged only for the hr of labor.

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    why the charge for the hours worth of work? isn't emission covered out to 100K and 7 years?

8. boredazhell20

boredazhell20 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thank you for posting this issue. My 05 Prius is doing the same exact thing (only when the car has been driven awhile).

When I heard the sound I automatically thought it was a tiny rock between the rotor and dust shield. When I lifted up the car, the sound was gone. I only could duplicate the sound when the car was not lifted and rocked the car forward and backwards.

Do you know exactly what downpipe gasket was the issue? it's just seems so weird to me a gasket would cause this sound, especially when I would think it would be stationary.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    generally, that means it's something compressed in the suspension.

10. boredazhell20

boredazhell20 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just lifted the car again and now I know what it is. It's the stupid manifold heat shield. I think that's why it only makes the noise when the engine is rocking (being left on the ground when moving the car forward and backward).

The heat shield is attached to the engine and then attaches to the mid pipe of the exhaust. If it was bolted to the end of the exhaust manifold I don't believe it would not make that noise since it is attached to an non flexing part.

I already snapped the bolts trying to tighten it. Looks like I'm going have to drill and tap a few holes.

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bummer, but i'm glad you found it.