1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parking Brake Adjustment

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by AmazingFacts, Dec 27, 2023.

1. AmazingFacts

AmazingFacts Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Has anyone adjusted their parking brake on their 4th gen? I noticed my parking brakes are quite weak despite tightening the adjusting bolt just above the parking brake pedal. These 4th gen do not have the self adjusting drum style parking brake with shoes where you can spin a "wheel" to adjust, but actuates the brake pads. Is there a way to adjust this type?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Adjustment procedure hopefully in this:

Yeah adjustment starts on page 46, of 48.

#2 Mendel Leisk, Dec 27, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Haven't worked on a Gen 4, but did look just now and see the same style rear disc brake calipers as Gen 3, which include the self-adjusting parking brake feature.

[​IMG]

So the usual caution with any kind of self-adjusting parking brake still applies: fussing with the adjusting nuts anywhere on the cable (at the pedal or at the equalizer) is almost always the wrong idea, unless the cable has just been replaced, or the car has been driven for 20 years by Sasquatch.

If the self-adjusting parking brakes don't feel well-adjusted, it may be worth looking for some problem. Fix that and they should do what they're built to do.

Doug McC likes this.
  4. AmazingFacts

AmazingFacts Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Great thanks guys. I'll see if I can get to the adjusting bolt by the caliper.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can't; the adjusting bolt shown in that diagram is entirely inside the caliper, where it adjusts automatically.

That's the point I was trying to make: you normally shouldn't need to adjust anything at all, and if there is a problem, it's more likely to just indicate that something isn't working right and needs repaired; 'adjusting' the cable is seldom the answer.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. AmazingFacts

AmazingFacts Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Oh ok, got it. Thanks for clarifying.