1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parking Brake

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jfritz, Jan 13, 2006.

1. jfritz

jfritz New Member

I've had my 06 Seaside Pearl #8 for a week now and have nearly gotten all the way through the manuals! :huh: One thing I noticed is that they recommend that you use the park brake whenever you shut down. Living in the "salt belt" here in the Midwest I avoided using my park brake on my 15 year old Passat wagon because it would seize up sometimes and not release.

I don't have enough of a good understanding about the transmission. When placed in Park, is the vehicle "locked down" like a regular automatic tranny or does the Prius transmission need the brake to hold the vehicle? Do all of you religiously use your parking brake too, as per the manual?

Its going to take some getting used to if I have to use the parking brake everytime I shut down.
    Please advise.

Jim in Iowa

P.S. Otherwise, I'm loving it! :D

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I normally don't use the Parking Brake (applied with the foot) unless I'm on a hill. Others use it all the time.

3. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  5. mouztrpd

mouztrpd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I use mine every time I park.......I also use an automatic carwash with a under carriage rinse.

6. green01

green01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I almost never use my parking brake in my current car, even though
    it automatically releases when the car is driven.

I certainly won't use it on my yet to be delivered Prius, unless a hill
    requires it. It will just be something to forget to release.

I figure the owner's manual requires it because they don't trust people
    to apply it when it is really needed.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

If you use it every time you will never forget to release it, and you will never mis-judge when it needs to be used.

If the brake is not used and the car rolls enough to rest against the parking pawl, you may hear a very alarming CLUNK when you next shift into Drive.

8. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting point. Does a parking pawl exist on a car like the Prius? Or, more generally, on a car with a CVT?

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Yes. In the classic Prius it was mechanically set via the gearshift lever, and in the new model it is electrically set.

Besides holding on slopes and keeping the mechanicals unfrozen, I suggest another reason to routinely set the P brake. If somebody gives your parked car a bump, the parking pawl might break within the transmission. Don't know how expensive to repair pawl in a conventional automatic transmission, but I strongly doubt it would be cheaper in Prius.

10. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You must engage the car in park when you shut it down (although the car does put you into park when you hit the power button first) You do not have to use the "parking break" every time. This is also the easiest to release parking break I have ever had on any car.

11. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Since I don't know what type of winter weather you get in Iowa, my rule of thumb is as follows: If it is cold and wet never set the parking brake unless it is absolutely required (facing up or down a hill). If the cable gets wet and you set it, with the temperature at freezing or lower the cable might freeze and you won't be able to release the parking brake when you want to get going.

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I figure they are called "parking" brakes for a good reason. My dad taught me to use them all the time, so I do. In temps from -40 up here to much less frigid temps in Utah, I've never had a problem, except on one vehicle.

My 2000 GMC Sierra had 4 wheel disk brakes with rear "drum in hat" parking brake, and that design was remarkably unreliable. For some reason at -30 C or colder, it would be sluggish to release. Never had that problem with any other vehicle.

If you regularly - all the time - use parking brakes, the cables should never seize up. If you never use them, then after say 3-4 years encounter a very steep hill you have to park on, more than likely the parking brake will seize once you apply it.

Case in point: my 1984 Ford F-150, purchased new, parking brake always used. Rust Checked yearly until 1997, and it still has the original factory parking brake cables. YMMV.