1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"parking" in heavy traffic

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Rebeldoc, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Rebeldoc

Rebeldoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In heavy traffic or at long red lights it can become tiring sitting in drive while applying the break. I've started to hit the "park" button at times and then shift back to drive when traffic starts to move. Any down side to this?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are laws against it, but in reality I don't see a big problem if traffic really isn't moving for extended periods of time.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not really. Someone will chime in and tell you if you get rear-ended while in park, it may damage the parking pawl, but you will have more to worry about than that. Another issue that will be debated is whether it's prudent to sit in park when you might need to make a fast evasive maneuver. I'm not sure why you would have to do anything fast if your are stuck in traffic, but I'm sure someone will have an opinion. Just don't sit in N, as the battery can't charge then.

Tom

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nope. I usually engage N and the parking brake. Yes I know it doesn't charge but I don't usually sit long enough to drain 1 bar of battery.

5. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Also be aware you aren't showing any brake lights, so don't do this if the car behind you hasn't already stopped.

6. skguh

skguh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Do it all the time. Someone here could probably tell you how much energy saved per minute. Don't know that it matters a whole lot--is it something you USED to do?

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I cross a couple transit train tracks during my morning commute. There are times when the train stops at the station and blocks the road. It is not uncommon to see reverse lights blink as people shift into [Park]. Then as the train starts moving again they all blink again as people shift back into [D].

That is the only situation in which I would engage [Park] because no one is moving, there's no need for evasive movements, and there's an extremely small chance of getting rear-ended.

8. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't think any energy savings will be measurable. If you're stopped with your foot on the brake, the Prius electric and gas engines are off* even if it's in [D]. The only savings would be the power to run the brake lights.

*The gas engine will come on to stay warm, to provide cabin heat, or to recharge the battery if it gets too low.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The only energy being saved is the amount needed to light the brake lamps, unless you only press the brake pedal very lightly; in that case some power is sent to MG2 to make the car try to creep.

Tom

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I see nothing wrong with it, as long as the traffic is completely stopped and you are hemmed in completely and there's no chance of the traffic moving suddenly.

I, too, do this when stopped for a train, though if it looks like a long stop (e.g. waiting for a ferry or waiting for a border post to open because I got there too early) I'll shut the car off. If it's only a long stop light I'll just use the brake pedal. The ICE will be off and the system is only drawing an amp or so. (But maybe I have stronger legs than the OP. :D )

11. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    When the drawbridge goes up, and traffic has stopped, then it is safer to be in park than to hold your tiring foot on the gas pedal for very extended periods.

Just be aware of the difference between stopped traffic and very slow traffic, which should be handled differently.