1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parking lines

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Will B, Sep 1, 2023.

1. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    This isn't specifically Gen5 Prius related, but this is my first car with a backup camera! My 2003 Gen1 didn't have it and this Gen5 replaced it a few weeks ago. This is something I've always wanted to do and it is working out as nicely as I hoped. I back into my garage. I put tape on the floor to line it up with the blue vertical stripe on reverse camera screen and stop when the red line gets to the marker at the end. I can line up very precisely each time. Cars have gotten fancier in the past 20 years!

will

Garage lines.jpg

Almost parked.jpg

Attached Files:

TwoGeeks, tovli, BiomedO1 and 3 others like this.
  2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    i've gotten pretty good using the camera too as long as there are some kind of lines or markers to follow.

I'm still trying to get the driveway squared away though. First, backing in from the street I have a soft ramp that puts the camera image in the air. That's not even the tricky part though. I only have grass on the one side I use to ( guess? ) my angle backing down the rest of the drive and I still haven't got the howto get into the center every time, around what seems like a bend in the grass line. I was also thinking of painting a line down the driveway a week or two ago. Great idea for the garage, and the pics came out good too.

The worst is when it's dark and raining or even worse snowing at night. Sometimes I just pull in front first and deal with backing out for the next drive.

3. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I find the backup camera, only useful when you get to within 36 inches of your target. I still back in the old fashion way, staring through the hatch glass. I find it pretty useless, because it doesn't have predictive directional guide-lines. I've installed a similar backup camera on my 2002 GMC into a cheap double DIN head unit. Even that unit had predictive directional guide-lines. Great for backing into camp sites, since I'm usually loaded up and can't see through the rear glass.

4. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Oh, if only you had the Panoramic View Monitor option, then you'd be really impressed. It's f-ing sweet. :)

5. AndersOne

AndersOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah its seems they used whatever cheap outdated cam they had left for the standard backup camera - the 360 is like a tickle down from an established (but not state of the art) Lexus system so it looks much better but still behind some other brands. Not that it matters much at this point.

6. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    vvillovv: I agree, there can be issues is there is a huge contrast difference. Sometimes with sun hitting the driveway and the shadow starting exactly at the garage entrance. The edge guides for me aren't too bad with my concrete driveway, but the precision of the center line helps a lot. I can (and do) back in with only 1-2 inches of clearance for the rear view mirror. I'm still stopping and checking the mirror each time until I get confidence in the camera/tape alignment. So far, so good.

will

vvillovv likes this.
  7. Chimera1978

Chimera1978 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    This may be a bit off topic, but does anybody know of a hack to get the backup cam on at times other than just backing up?

8. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Biomed01: I agree that you need something closer for the precision. That is why I like the line. It gives me something to line up to well before the final parking stages. It is tempting to extend the tape to the driveway, but 99% sure it wouldn't last past the first snow shoveling. :) I didn't get the fancy (and higher rez) cameras with predictive lines. I was hoping, but alas no luck, so just have the cheaper camera. It works though, so for an experiment it seems to be a successful one.

will

9. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Hammersmith and AndersOnce: I was hoping for the fancier cameras, but the only reason I have a car at all is I managed to snatch a "leftover" from someone who chickened out of their pre-order. Other than it had to be the XSE Premium Prime, the only options I said were no-go's were the color black and the solar roof. The rest was negotiable. Not regretting it at all.

will

vvillovv and AndersOne like this.