1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parking Pawl Bypass??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jerry G., Dec 21, 2015.

1. Jerry G.

Jerry G. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey all,

Just want to say this forum is Awesome! It has helped me SO much with my Gen 1's. Thanks is not nearly enough!

Well along with my '02 and '03, I've just picked up an '07 Prius that someone drove over a parking stop and cracked the transmission and slightly bent the round support bar. Insurance company totaled it because of this.

To load it on a trailer, I went to Wally World and bought two cheap white PTFE cutting boards, placed them under the front tires so it would slide better and winched the thing onto the car trailer. Message on the diag screen is "Parking Mechanism Abnormal". Is there a way to disengage the pawl enough to roll the thing off the trailer so I can position it to go into my shop? Mind you, I do not have asphalt and everything is mud now that rain is here and add limited maneuverability due to space at my place.

Any insight would be very helpful. I have a trans on order that should arrive tomorrow and have bookmarked the awesome tutorial someone posted on trans removal. Thanks in advance for any insight!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Get some wheel dollies? Or maybe that'd be too free to move, could get away from you??

3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You could try just powering it to ig-on (power button twise without brake) putting the E-brake on and then trying to get it to go to neutral. Maybe keeping jump cables on it to make sure that 12V has enough power (just don’t get them backwards) (there is jump point in the front so no need to get to battery).

If that doesn’t work, then you could remove one CV-axle from transaxle. If you split it from inner joint you should only need to remove the knuckle to strut bolts.