1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parking Sensors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by wildeyed, May 28, 2005.

1. wildeyed

wildeyed New Member

I just got a Prius and I want to get a parking sensor but I don't want to put holes into it.

This site sells a license plate model Reverse Backing Systems and I was wondering if anyone has used one of these or knows if they work well?

Any advice would help!!

2. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You could try the New York Street Parking Method which I employed successfully for ten years.
    1. Find a spot on the street that is at leat 8 inches longer than your car. (With experience you can judge this by looking)
    2. Back into the spot until you feel your bumper hit the car behind (I call this the "touch" sensor.
    3. Go forward until you hit the car ahead.
    4. Equalize the space between the car behind and the car ahead (you should have at least 2 inches each way)

Prius3NY likes this.
  3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Hehe. Yup, that's how I always had to park in the city. I figured out how to maneuver into tight spots by noting exactly how I get out of tight spots when people boxed me in.

When I took my grandmother to see my grandfather in the hospital, there was a very small space to park. My grandmother didn't think I could get in, but I did! She was most impressed.

Don't know if I still could do it today though.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If there's one thing I've learned, I've learned not to use the 'touch' sensor.

I was reversing into a stall at a local supermarket. I wasn't aware that the person behind me at overshoot the spot (it was a Sienna) so I was reversing and using my right mirror to gauge when I felt something. Turns out I touched the Sienna. I moved forward and found two dots on my bumper where the screws of the front licence plate were.

5. ltu1542hvy

ltu1542hvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think that that is called "parking by braile"

6. Dan Gross

Dan Gross New Member

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid