1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parking tips four New Driver?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by whitespider, Jun 2, 2007.

1. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi all. I've posted around here an odd amount of times on the purchase of my car in cash. I finally did it for $24,900 plus taxes and fees (since the price was good, i let the dealer slide on the BS fees if he agreed to lower them from $659 to $500, total out the door of roughly $27,200)

Anyways, I'm a new driver. Twenty-two year old student in South Florida. I saved up for this car and bought it cash, and only have driven maybe tops once every three months between because of friends and family always feeling protective of their cars and bringing up the 'you're not insured if you drive it' card on me if I suggest it. :angry: Anyways, I bought it! I'm waiting for it, and I was looking for advice.

Since driving 'tricks' are specific to every car, I was wondering if any real pros out there could assist me in my reentry into the driving world. :lol: I forgot most of my Driver's Ed. training from highschool and the instructor that drilled me for two hours for my driver's exam yeaaars ago has completely left my memory as well. Honestly, I can drive, well, but I am kind of a perfectionist and before I get my car was hopnig for some REAL great advice from the folks at Priuschat. :D

Anyways, here's what i'm looking for: How do you slign yourself for each kind of park? I mean, for example I remember from my licence instructor to align your right mirror with the stop sign when maknig a stop on a residential street (or did I remember that wrong) and remember being told simular things when parking, like aligning the mirrors with the lines in a parking lot to park left or right.

I love figuring out this sort of thing to a science and properly becoming a better part of society as I get on the road. :) Thanks in advance!!

Whitespider

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The way things line up is different on every car. My suggestion is to go some place where there is a line painted on the pavement. You may be able to do it at home, or you may have to go to an empty parking lot.

Try to place your car so the front of the car is almost up to the line. Get out and look. Get back in and move the car if necessary. Once you have it exactly right, get back in and look to see what the line lines up with. It won't help you if I tell you where that is for me, because your height will change the alignment.

Then do the same thing with a line in the back of the car.

Then for the passenger side (as if parallel parking).

Once you know where the ends and sides of your car are, you can begin practicing, again, in an empty parking lot or an empty bit of a side street.

The front of the car is very misleading. Some folks have installed an antenna on the front bumper so it sticks up to where they can see it. Do that if you feel you need to. I prefered to just learn where the front of the car is, but I'd been driving for nearly 30 years before getting my Prius.

Practicing with lines on the pavement, away from other cars, is the best advice I can give you, and pay no attention to anyone who tells you to line this up with that, because it will be different for different people of different heights. I did find that my Prius was harder to parallel park than my old Civic was, because the ends of the car were not where I expected them to be. (On the other hand, my Xebra is really easy to parallel park, and it's powered by water instead of gas. :) )

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    To be legal, you stop with the front of the car even with the stop sign, then ease out to look if you need to.

As for parking, I find the Prius the easiest car to parallel park that I have ever driven. Pull up even with the car in front of the space, leaving a little room between your passenger door and the one you are pulling up to. Shift into reverse and look back over your shoulder to line up turning into the space. Once you are heading in correctly, shift your view to the backup camera and you can see exactly how much room you have behind you. It shows everything including your rear bumper.

Tom

4. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree, the Prius (thanks to that wonderful camera) is the easiest car to parallel park I have ever had, and I used to have a Geo Metro.

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With regard to parallel parking, get some expendable objects that
    won't damage the car, set 'em up like a space near a curb, and
    PRACTICE. Heck, I still suck at parallel parking; one reason is
    probably that I don't like scrubbing the tires in place by turning
    without rolling...
    _H*

6. mmoncur

mmoncur New Member

Practice makes perfect. I've never used "tricks" like that, I just get a feel for the car by practicing driving and parking. Then again I've been driving for 20 years.

I switched from a VW to a Prius a week ago and it was perfectly natural - the Prius is slightly wider but I can still slide it perfectly into a parking spot.

The best advice I could give is practice. Don't be afraid to spend an hour or two in an empty parking lot, park, get out and see how you did, then drive a bit and park again.

As for driving, the hardest thing to learn when you're (relatively) new to driving is to focus your eyes far down the road rather than right in front of you, and hold the wheel loosely rather than tightly. Both of those encourage a smoother driving style.

One more important thing: I would highly recommend ignoring (gasp!) or turning off (the horror!) the MFD display for your first few hundred miles with the car. You won't win the MPG game, but you'll get a good feel for driving the car before you let all of the pretty displays distract you.

Other than that, I haven't found any particular tricks to driving/parking this car that don't apply to every other car.

Good luck, and Congratulations! I envy you - I would have loved to have something as nice as a Prius for my first car instead of the many hand-me-down vehicles on the verge of death I drove...

7. HolyPotato

HolyPotato Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Yep, nothing beats practice. To that end, I recommend getting a few largeish, empty cardboard boxes and set them up in a practice area (quiet dead-end street, parking lot, what have you) and just run into them. Same idea as using lines or pylons, but they make a satisfying "bonk" (if you can hear it with your window open) so you don't have to get out to check :)

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Whitespider, you may want to disable the back up beeper. In normal operation I don't mind it but it becomes maddening when maneuvering backwards.

9. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You might want to check into financing a small amount of the car just for credit score purposes, paying back a car on a payment schedule will do wonders for future purposes even if you lose some money on interest now.

As for parking, pick spots with at least a couple of feet leftover in front and back.. the first day you get a parallel park ding from another driver will be the saddest day of your life. You can get a can of the factory paint from the dealer, a quart is like $10.

A good place to pp practice is hotel parking lots where you can do it with other live cars.

Congrats on your first car purchase, enjoy!

10. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jun 3 2007, 05:07 PM) [snapback]454551[/snapback]</div>
    Indeed. I read on this and have the instructions already from these wonderful fourms. :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HolyPotato @ Jun 3 2007, 01:48 AM) [snapback]454267[/snapback]</div>
    I love this advice, haha. every other reply before this one was great and easy to add ontop of one another right upto this one, which is what i'm gonna do. Boxes are a great idea.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(douglas001001 @ Jun 3 2007, 05:29 PM) [snapback]454561[/snapback]</div>
    Actually my relative made me a co-user of their old 1983 sears credit card and that will get me alot of credit, especially when they let me make payments for that card, now. I did alot of research on credit and found financing isn't nessicary if you find free alternatives to up your credit score, which I think i've found a few. Next step is find a department store to get a card with, or a gas station. But that's alright, one step at a time. :)

11. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I like large box-store parking lots, with the big square cart corrals.
    I taught one of the teenagers how to park what is now his Malibu using the empty cart corral to stand in for the car in front that he was parallel parking behind! Lovely dinging noise when touched, light enough to move when bumped, it left no mark on the car. And, it's about the size of a largish car.

12. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    If you have trouble seeing where the front of the Prius is, you can get a cheap ($12) cell phone antenna and attach it to your front license plate bracket. You should be able to just see the tip. You can add an antenna ball, if you want to see it better.

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jun 2 2007, 08:31 PM) [snapback]454198[/snapback]</div>
    I actually found the Prius the most difficult car to parallel park that I had ever owned, due to the confusion over where the front of the car actually was. I mastered it by practice, and the method I outlined above.

Yvette the E 'Vette, on the other hand, parks like a dream. I never had to "figure out" where the front and back of the car are.

14. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I have no problem with the front of the car, but I'm still getting used to where the back of the car is, since I'm used to driving sedans where the rear bumper is farther back than the rear window. But I am finding the backup camera to be very helpful.

Note that the backup camera uses a wide-angle lens, so it has a bit of a fish-eye effect. I've noticed that when I'm a few feet away from something, if I look out the rear window I feel like I'm about to hit it but then I look at the backup camera's view and it seems I've got tons of room. I've learned to trust the backup camera. Just go slowly when you're in reverse and you'll be fine.

p.s. I second (third? fourth?) the advice about practicing in a parking lot. I learned more from a few hours of driving around an empty parking lot with my father than I did in an entire driver's ed class.

15. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So still waiting on the delivery of my Prius. I've been just fine at driving normally, but i'm specifically wanted to master back-in parking. Kinda a pain in the nice person.

Any suggestions or tips?

16. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Best advice is practice & take it slow the first few times. I do have to say that the Prius is easier to parallel park than any car I've ever owned. I successfully parked it the first time I tried. Previous car was a Chevy Cavalier than I couldn't reliably park to save my soul. Back-up camera helps a lot, but you have to learn to trust it - & go slow. I usually find when I am parked that I had more room at the rear than I thought.

17. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whitespider @ Jun 3 2007, 06:13 PM) [snapback]454592[/snapback]</div>
    I'm in the real estate business and I help people buy their first homes all the time that have no credit that think this, it is not true and more often than not these people who have good income have to wind up in a higher rate program that uses supplimental crediting (like rent and utility payment history etc) or have to have some sort of co-borrower or put someone else on the title for their house.

Listen to this advice, don't buy the car completely in cash. Finance a part of it for a few years. Thats an INSTALLMENT account which will be much more beneficial to your credit than a REVOLVING account like a credit card, department store card, etc.

In fact if I were you I'd finance the whole car provided I had the income to make the payments and invest that cash in something that earns more than the interest costs you. Credit is not evil, its just a tool you need to control and that you can't let control you.

18. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

I've been driving for a long time and the most difficult thing for me is to judge how low the car is. Be careful going in and out of driveways, parking in grass parking lots or driving anywhere that isn't perfectly level. Also, don't pull in too close in a parking space or you may scrape the curb.

The advice to turn off the display is the best of all. I have almost had a couple of wrecks because I can't quit watching the monitor. Fortunately, it has great brakes!

19. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You get used to the display. I've been driving with the nav display for years now and its no longer distracting.