1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parrot CK3100 install?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rodmathews, Jan 12, 2006.

1. rodmathews

rodmathews New Member

I'm about to install the Parrot CK3100 bluetooth hands-free kit in my 2004 Prius, and I'm wondering how to connect the wires that are supposed to mute the radio when a call comes in. Does the base factory radio have a mute input on the back? If not, is there a specific way to wire up the Parrot to enable this feature? The instructions are a little cryptic, and I seem to recall someone saying that the mute feature might not work.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks!

Rod
    San Jose, CA

2. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, there is no mute function on the non-JBL radios. You can push and hold the mode button on the steering wheel and it will shut off.

How is it suppose to connect to the stereo to use the speakers? It could do this if it intercepted the signal by being directly connected to the 4 outputs to the speakers.

3. rodmathews

rodmathews New Member

The install kit splices into the front speaker wires, which I think would block the signal from the radio. My guess is that I would wind up with the phone audio coming out of the front speakers and the radio signal coming from the rear speakers. This is just an assumption, and may or may not be the case. I'll post a followup after I do the install.

Shutting off the radio as suggested would certainly take care of the mute issue, and would also work around multiple audio signals going to the front speakers if my assumption is incorrect. I was just hoping to avoid having two steps: 1) Turn off radio; 2) answer phone.

Thanks!

Rod

4. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm thinking that since there is no mute, you might combine the front and rear signals by inputing to your device on the rear channels and outputing to front and rear. Cutting off the front channels would cause you to lose F/R fade, but your device would then cut off the stereo for the cell call. Otherwise, the rear channels would still have stereo and you would have to hit the pwr or volume button. This assumes your device is amplified to output to the speakers. You can use Metra cables so you don't have to cut wires.

5. rodmathews

rodmathews New Member

I successfully installed the Parrot in the Prius yesterday. It works great! It paired right up with my Treo 650, and it has voice recognition that seems to work well. Call quality is great on both ends, and it matches the interior of the Prius pretty closely. I really like the Parrot CX3100 after a day of playing with it.

I was mistaken about the mute function in my previous posts. The Parrot kit includes a switch that goes in-line in between the radio and all four speakers. Any time the Parrot is active the switch will mute the radio's audio signal to all four speakers and send the Parrot's audio signal to just the front speakers. When you hang up, it cuts back over to the car stereo audio. It's pretty slick! Volume for the Parrot is controlled independently of the car stereo.

I installed the Parrot using the standard Metra wiring harness kits for Toyota (part numbers 70-1761 for the female plugs and 71-1761 for the male plugs). The pin-out information on the back of the Metra harness packages is accurate for the Prius. It doesn't say specfically that it supports the Prius, but it was correct for my 2004 Prius with the standard single-CD radio.

I cut the ISO-style plugs off of the Parrot harnesses and then connected the Parrot kit to the Metra plugs. This enabled me to avoid cutting any wires in the Prius, and it was simple to install. I ordered the Metra plugs from installer.com last week, but they can most likely also be found in the car stereo install department of your local Best Buy or Circuit City.

Chris Dragon's instructions for taking the dash apart were incredibly useful. They show exactly what to do, and it was really easy to get everything apart and back together.

I put the large blue "brain" of the Parrot down near the floorboard, behind the curved plastic panel below the radio (depicted at the top of page 3 in Chris Dragon's instructions). There were flat areas to velcro the "brain" box, and it was easy to run all of the wires to that area.

Rod

6. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have a link for the Parrot CX3100? I might be intrested in this if it is completly automated as I am tired of wearing my Jabra wireless bluetooth. I already have the metra cables as I used them for my amp install. I wonder how the Parrot CX3100 would work in a preamp setting as my HU outputs go to my amp.

7. rodmathews

rodmathews New Member

Hey ScubaX,

Here's the product page for the Parrot CX3100:
    http://www.parrot.biz/products/index.php?id=ck3100

I really dig it. After using it for a couple of days, it has worked perfectly and it does exactly what I wanted it to do. I hate headsets, which is why I went with the bluetooth kit.

I'm in South San Jose, so if you are up here and want to check it out just let me know. My email address is in my profile.

Rod

8. sseres

sseres New Member

If i had no problem putting in my EV mod, would you expect that I'd be able to install this system myself, or would you remcommend professional installation? Thanks!

9. rodmathews

rodmathews New Member

If you are comfortable with wiring diagrams and taking apart most of the dash, then go for it! I had to modify the Parrot wiring harness to fit the Prius, which basically means cutting off their connectors and attaching connectors from Metra (part numbers listed earlier in the thread). I soldered the wiring connections to make sure there were no problems, but all-in-all it was pretty simple. It probably took three hours from start to finish.

Rod

10. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been looking at this same bluetooth, glad to hear the install went smooth. Also glad to hear it works so well.
    Where did you mount the control panel (pictures???)?

11. aczez

aczez New Member

I have an parrot ck3300 in my prius.
    I have a 2005 (04 model) toyota prius NON JBL, so no cd changer an no nav etc.

My parrot is installed with the mute function, this was done at the dealer.

After seeing this post i opened up the beast to take a look.

They connected the mute cable that comes from the parrot to the cdchanger port (at least i think its the cdchanger port).
    only the mute cable is connected to it (so only 1 wire into the "cdchanger" port)

My mute function works, when the phone rings the caraudio goes into mute mode.

Gr

aczez