1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Part-charging the battery and "charge-alert"?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Ole Petter, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Ole Petter

Ole Petter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi :) I am a relatively new PIP owner and new at this forum.

I have a question about part-charging the battery. The dealer told me it was all right to charge the battery for half an hour, for an hour or to let it be fully charged as I choose to. - But when the battery is not fully charged and I remove the charger, there always come a "warning or charge-alert" up in the display. This alert does not go away, I have to stop the car and start again for that. It says that the charge is not complete due to some cause. It this all right??

I guess one does get a bit carried away and wishes to drive in EV mode as much as possible... So when the battery capacity is low after a day of driving to work I usually charge the car for the afternoon runs... I find this is nice, and I hope it is ok for the battery!

It is a little funny, now that it is cold in winter I drive as much as I can without heat in the car to save petrol! My wife doesn't care much for this, but she has agreed to set the temperature to a low 17 degrees Celcius as to not use more petrol than necessary... My youngest daughter makes a fuss about this when she is in the car with my wife and then sets the temperature to LOW! Oboy... It puts a smile on my face... .-) I guess owning a Plug-In makes one part of a kind of eco-competition to always be better? He he!

Anyway I really like the car! I am really glad for the possibility to be able to run the car in HV mode for longer trips as there is no need to fear running out of battery-power like in an electric vechicle.

2. JEP

JEP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    What I have read it should not be any problem.
    You can dismiss the message by pressing the Disp-button on the steering wheel pad.

3. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It will be fine.
    The warning persists just incase there really WAS a problem that you
    did not notice......like a tripped circuit breaker for instance.

4. Ole Petter

Ole Petter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Many thanks for the help! :)
    Then I will press the "Disp" button to clear this from the display! I thought as much, as there is supposed to be no memory in the Lithium-ion batteriy - and of course the battery is charged all the time when driving. So this should be OK :)
    I just didn't like that the "charge not complete" message would stay on the display after I removed the charge plug. It gave me the impression of having done something that was not right, or meant to be done.

5. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I partial charge all the time. When I get home and the charge is down to just a mile or two left or zero miles ev left I will charge it back up to 80%. I stop at 80% soc unless I am going to be using the car shortly. The manual says it it better for the battery since it does not want to be fully charged. If i have a short trip need arise that I had not planned on then the car is ready to go. If on the other hand I have a longer trip planned the next day say, i will then top off the battery to 100% soc just before time to leave.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! i partially charge the battery with an L2 charger, so that if i have to leave with short notice, i only need 30-45 minutes to top it up. the manual recommends not leaving it fully charged for long periods of time, but does not state specifics. also, in summer, you should let the battery cool after driving, before recharging. i also do a lot of ev without heat, and there are many discussions here about finding ways to provide heat without running the ice, especially for windshield defrost. that's one smart daughter you have there. :) all the best with your pip!(y)

CaliforniaBear likes this.
  7. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Your 100% "soc" (the full indicator icon) is actually 85% of a true full charge.

8. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    so you are saying for battery life i can ???? charge to???when i am not going to drive it for a while and still keep the battery happy.

CharlesH likes this.
  9. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Given the battery display on the HSD is full, it's actually 85% of the battery capacity. When you switch to HV when the EV miles run out, the battery is about 24% of capacity. Without a scangauge or torque app, you won't see this.

10. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The design of the car keeps the battery happy. That's why the SOC range maintained by the software is 25% to 85%. Of course if you are not going to drive it for several weeks there are 12 volt battery concerns.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think when the owners manual says 'not to leave it fully charged for long periods of time', they are talking about the ev indicator or the charge display when charging. not what you see on a scangauge. owners manuals do not usually assume diagnostic tools. so when the say 'full' they are talking around 85% on scan gauge.

12. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Reading the manual again I believe you are correct. Page 93 of the manual says
    ----
    Leave a low level of charge in the hybrid battery (traction battery) when
    leaving the vehicle undriven for a long period of time.
    After confirming that EV mode has switched to HV mode, turn the
    “POWER” switch off.
    ----
    I wonder why switching it to the HV mode before powering off is recommended. If the coolant isn't hot that will cause the ICE to start briefly before switching the power off. Is that a good/bad thing?

On Page 93 it also says
    ----
    Use the charging timer function as much as possible in order to fully
    charge the hybrid battery (traction battery) immediately before starting
    off.
    ----
    I generally do that on weekdays when the morning rate is higher than the night rate. But on the weekends after returning from my EV run to/from the gym I often just plug-in even if I have no definite plans for an additional trip. It sounds like that is not a good idea.

13. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How do you do that? A link please.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when they say 'ev mode has switched to hv mode, they mean automatically, as in you drive in ev mode until ev is gone and it switches to hv mode and the ice comes on. then it's safe to store long term. the 64 dollar question, as bill clinton so eloquently put it is, "how long is long"?

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how do you do what?

16. bilbo04096

bilbo04096 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Exactly. bisco, how long do you think the engine should run in HV mode after the switch? I've been wondering about this, concerned that running the engine for a minute or two before garaging the car doesn't adequately warm the engine and catalytic converter, or get the exhaust system good and hot so condensation isn't left in it. My driving routines seem to often get me almost home in all EV but one or two minutes are spent in HV before I arrive home.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like to wait for the ice to stop when that happens, simply to prevent the 'cold start knock' that some have experienced. i'll come in the house and let it run, it's usually only a few more minutes depending on outside temp and how long it's already been running. others shut it righ down tho, it's just a matter of opinion.

markabele likes this.
  18. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thought I had it quoted "there are many discussions here about finding ways to provide heat without running the ice, especially for windshield defrost. that's one smart daughter you have there."

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you want me to privide links to the discussions? sorry, i don't know how to do links.:oops: they are easy to find tho, michael33 has a thread in which he puts a couple 200w a/c heaters near the driver running off a marine battery and an inverter. usbseawolf purchased a dehumidifier to defrost the windshield. others have tried 12v dc heaters plugged into the power outlet. many have requested toyota add some type of electric heater in the next gen.

20. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh... I though there was a way to fool the car into doing it. I appreciate the response but ancillary methods aren't worth the effort with our type of weather.