1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Part it out or sell to a junker?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by aberns, Sep 11, 2020.

1. aberns

aberns Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, I live in NYC and it's time to say goodbye to my beloved 2004 Prius. It already needed a few costly repairs, then it got in an accident (other guy's fault, but he denies it happened and the insurance company won't pay) which damaged the driver's side door panels, though not too badly, mostly superficial. But then the catalytic converter got stolen and I threw up my hands and decided it was time to just get a newer car, a used 2013.

But now I am thinking of what to do with my 2004. I could just sell it to a junker for a few hundred bucks, but then I thought, there are some valuable parts in there that I could probably sell for even more than that. For example, the hybrid battery was replaced some 6 years ago with a factory-new one, under warranty, and is still working fine, so it must be worth some cash. Not to mention the MFD touch screen which is still working perfectly, etc.

So my question is, as someone who is inexperienced with this kind of thing but could definitely use the extra cash, what do you recommend I do, and if you think I should sell the parts before junking it, which parts and how to go about selling them/good prices/etc? Sorry if this is asking for a lot of info!

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most people experienced in parting out a car warn people who've never done it to not do it because the amount of money you get rapidly selling all the parts is contingent on having an established reputation for selling parts and replacing defective parts is impossible if you only have one. As in parting out lots of cars is way less problematic than parting out an individual car... Also getting rid of the remainder of the car as steel scrap is not an easy task unless you have a whole truck load of 'em.