1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Part of the family now

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Locqlynn, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Locqlynn

Locqlynn New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    hello! Yesterday I bought an 07 prius. It has 160k miles and on mile 135k they installed a new battery, car is in amazing shape.

I've been reading a bit on these forums and I'm very thankful for all the info. I have green x tires on my car and I I read about putting 38-40psi in the front and -2 in the back.

The battery seems to be in great shape, on the info screen its missing 1-2 bars then when I go down hill it gets full, I'm showing around 50mph for the last 150 miles that I did.

I must have not filled the tank all the way because when I went to refill it you think at 150 miles x 50 miles a gallon I would just need 3 gallons, well it took almost 5 to fill it up. I'll have to update on this.

I'm still looking at the forum, if there are any tricks or anything I can do to add a few mpg please let me know and if its not too much trouble send a link

Thank you very much!

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello and welcome to PriusChat. Congratulations on your purchase.
    37 PSI front 35 PSI back is all you need. Anything higher will only give exponential improvement. Most people who see an improvement after pumping the tires to high pressures probably didn't realize they were under-inflated in the first place.
    Look up these two economy driving tricks that will work on any car on the internet. (Sorry, I don't have all the links to hand, but google is your friend.)
    • DWB (driving without brakes) is a technique that works because it teaches you to anticipate, not literally not braking ever.
    • Anticipate acceleration and braking.
    This one works especially well in a Prius:
    • Pulse and Glide. WikiHow Link. Note that using a 29 - 34 MPH range works extremely well around town. The written text does not make it clear that once you have accelerated up to your chosen speed, you lift your foot right off the accelerator and then immediately apply light pressure so there are NO arrows showing on the Energy Monitor screen. (Also, watch the YT video; while it is a bit verbose and too long, it does eventually cover most of the salient points.)
    John's Prius Website. There is more info here than you would ever know with what to do:
    Enjoy.

#2 dolj, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    jerrymildred and WilDavis like this.
  3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PriusChat, and congratulations on what looks like a great purchase! It looks like you're of to a good start. Read all you can about hyper-miling! Sit back and enjoy the quiet ride! :)

4. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey neighbor, I’m in Nashville! I’ve owned 4 Prii in the last 7 years, I can’t imagine going back to a regular gas vehicle. Welcome to the club! My brother and sister-in law in Chattanooga still have my first Prius I bought back in high. It has 335+k on it now. Actually next Wednesday I’m going to drive it back to Nash. It’s in rough shape, so I’m probably going to part it out and use it on other project Prius! Let me know if you need any parts, or anything hybrid related.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings!

Welcome Aboard.....

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The steady state is two bars empty to allow for regenerative braking, if you brake going downhill a great deal you will 'fill' the battery and it starts using engine braking. (this can sound alarming but is 'normal' for a Prius. The engine gets busier the harder you press the brake, quite surprising) If you know you are going to fill the battery (you are on the tail of the dragon, say) you can use B to get engine braking earlier, to help cool the other two braking systems.

The good news is that the flexible bladder in the Gen2 really reduces emissions. The bad news it that it never fills the same way twice, and some owners have trouble filling their tank. My best advice is to get gas at two pips, the Prius is hard to restart if you run out of gas. Three tricks to get more gas at the pump: 1) gas up in the heat of the day, the bladder is most flexible. 2) open the gas cap first, and then mess with the pump, this reduces pressure in the tank. 3) Try with the handle upside down.

WilDavis likes this.