1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Partially Functioning Passenger Wiper

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TonyPSchaefer, Mar 16, 2005.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Has anyone noticed that their passenger wiper isn't working 100%?

I have noticed that the outer edge of my passenger wiper is doing a pretty bad job of wiping the window. I would estimate that the inner 75% is wiped clean, 75-90% is smudgy, and sometimes I wonder if the outer 10% even touches the glass. It would seem that the wiper is just not being flexible enough to wrap around the glass and maintain contact.

Who has suggestions on how I can try to rectify this situation before I have the dealer look at it. I keep thinking "it's just a wiper" but it's bad enough that I don't want passengers on misty days because they are going to have to look through the smeary grime.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I honestly have, in 17 months of ownership, used my wipers for a total of maybe 20-30 minutes. I use Rain-X and avoid using the wipers so that the rain-x will do it's job better.

Occasionally I'll get grime on there and just have to do a quick squirt/wipe, but both sides seem to do a good job for that.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Tony:

Try this before you rush in for a service appointment:

Get a bottle of 70% isopropyl alcohol (Most folks have this in their bathroom for topical use) and liberally soak - maybe 2 tablespoons - a paper towel with it.

Then use the paper towel to thoroughly wipe the wiper blade inserts. Don't be surprised at the black/brown grunge that comes off.

You may have to repeat this a few times with a fresh paper towel each time until the paper towel stays clean. Don't forget to do the rear wiper while you're at it.

I do this frequently and have perfect, streak-free wipers.

4. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    8) jayman,

I believe that is not the issue of dirty blades. He is stating, that the last 10% of his passanger wiper blade, is not making complete contact with the windshield.

Ben

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tony, I have the same issue but I noticed it only when it's really dirty (e.g. it's been sunny for a week, then showers (not rain) appear. Or even when I try to clean the windshield using the windshield washer.

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

one thing you could try is to shift the position of the wiper insert (rubber blade) back and forth in the frame that supports it as some times they tend to stick and that doesn't allow the blade to follow the contour of the glass.

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"73007)</div>
    I honestly have, in 17 months of ownership, used my wipers for a total of maybe 20-30 minutes. I use Rain-X and avoid using the wipers so that the rain-x will do it's job better.

Occasionally I'll get grime on there and just have to do a quick squirt/wipe, but both sides seem to do a good job for that.
    [/b][/quote]
    Evan you've got to be kidding! 20-30 minutes in 17 months. There are times here when you can use it for 17 hours 20-30 days a month.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll try that Frank. I regularly clean my blades so I may have moved something

9. FourOhFour

FourOhFour Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I had the same problem. Put in an Innovision blade on the passenger side, and it helped quite a bit. They're pricy, though, so you might want to try cleaning the blade first.

10. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks all.
    I haven't done anything serious about it yet because it's been cold. For those of you who don't know, in some parts of the world the temperature actually drops below freezing from time to time. You wouldn't know this, of course, because your thermometers don't even register below 65ºF.

Anyway, when the weather improves or I'm inclined to get really cold, I'll try the suggestions.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Tony:

Hehe I even know what the "other" side of 40 F feels like! Brrrrrr.

Is the wiper doing that while stationary or at highway speeds?

I ask as my passenger side wiper will leave around 1 inch unwiped/smeared all the time at highway speeds. Must be an aerodynamic thing going on.

At city speeds or at a full stop, the wipers only smear if they need cleaning. I've found the the combination of salt and road grime is great for making wipers smear.

At that point, you have to clean them with isopropyl alcohol like I described in a post above.

12. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's pretty constant.
    Today, for example, the weather was spitting snow all day. During both commutes the snow would cause wiping while stationary and the kick-up from the car in front of me forced wiping while in motion. But I wouldn't say that it was all "highway speed". Sometimes just 20 - 35 mph. Regardless, the outter edge of the wiper was doing a bad job. Even worse in apperance when trying to get the kick-up grime.

Oh, and it doesn't help that the washer fluid comes out in narrow jets hitting the windshield three inches above the hood. What's up with that?

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Tony:

If cleaning the wiper inserts with isopropyl alcohol doesn't help, you may need new inserts at the least. As this is happening at rest, it also may indicate the wiper blade itself is bent somehow. It wouldn't take much.

14. jeepien

jeepien Member

I have this same issue with mine, in the same spot. I thought I might have wiggled something wrong when trying to remove ice from the blades, and I was going to inspect it and make sure it's all seated right when it's warmer.

If that doesn't do it, I'll ask the dealer to replace or adjust it.

btw, I got a coupon for Rain X and tried it, and it really does work.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Tony,

while at rest, try spraying the window a few times with the windshield washer. It may help.