1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Partly working key fob

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Oakman, Apr 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Oakman

Oakman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have one key fob that works fine.

The second one's case broke, so I bought a new case, and I put the little metal thing and other stuff into the case. It worked fine. Doing everything like the first one.

But now the second one stopped working, partly. I can push its buttons to unlock and lock, but the car doesnt know that I am near it, and it will only start if I put the fob into the slot.

I replaced the batteries on the fobs to be sure.

Any ideas on next steps to diagnose it?

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Unfortunately, no one has responded yet, but most likely you accidentally pressed the "key" button under your steering wheel near where your knee would be. The button must be in the out position for the FOB to work completely. The lock/unlock will work regardless of button position.

3. Oakman

Oakman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for your attempt, but one fob works and the other doesnt, that is, doesnt work anymore. My next thought was to do the chicken dance with it.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Wow, I totally misread your post. Sry about that.

5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Try doing the long chicken dance on it. I had a fob that forgot the proximity/key functions, and reregistering it worked. If that doesn't work, it's time to get another fob. You really want at least two working fobs so that when you lose one you still have one to use in registering another. Getting to zero working fobs sucks big time.

wjtracy likes this.