1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parts diagram, teardown or others for Gen 5?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by purplePriii, Aug 19, 2023.

1. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone been able to find a website that has parts diagram for the new 2023 Prius or the Prius Prime?

I'm trying to find parts numbers for the interior ambient light and full taillight that's available on upper trims and not on the base ones. Someone has already added these by DIY themselves since the connectors are present (ambient lights) but I'm looking for a more plug and play version.

I know someone posted a Japanese DVD about them doing a dismantle of various panels that would be useful but it has to be ordered from Japan, is in Japanese and with the shipping doesn't seem worth it. I've also looked on toyota.parts but the 2023 Prius isn't listed yet.

Anywhere I can find parts diagram?

Preebee likes this.
  2. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    You can pay for access to the parts system through the Toyota Europe website: https://www.toyota-tech.eu/
    I paid for 1 hour access last night, and I've still got access today since I haven't closed my window yet.

When looking at part diagrams:
    60=FWD HEV, 65=AWD HEV, 61=PHEV, 6#=ALL
    E=LE/SE, G=XLE/XSE, H=LTD/XSE+

Footwell:
    81080-33290 - LAMP ASSY, INTERIOR ILLUMINATION, NO.1
    autoparts.lewistoyota.com/products/product/lamp-assy-interior-8108033290
    ($13.55 each; need two - one for driver, one for passenger)

Rear Taillight:
    Prius(red) - 81581-47080 - LENS & BODY, RR LAMP
    autoparts.lewistoyota.com/products/product/lens-body-rr-lamp-8158147080
    Prius Prime(clear) - 81581-47100 - LENS & BODY, RR LAMP
    autoparts.lewistoyota.com/products/product/lens-body-rr-lamp-8158147100
    ($362.38 for either version)

also:
    81965-46010 - LED, SOCKET
    autoparts.lewistoyota.com/products/product/led-socket-8196546010
    ($57.95 each, need two)

Attached Files:

#2 Hammersmith, Aug 19, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2023
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you accessing the European site because they're ahead of Toyota USA, or just because the US site is so hooped, since the revisions a few months back?

4. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Wait a minute... are you saying I can get the full taillight lightbar to light up on my LE? (y) That's the only thing missing that's made me a little sad. Do you have a link to the DIY?

leftbrarian likes this.
  5. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    The European site is just so much better. It's the same software many/most US Toyota dealerships use. Takes so much less time to find things and gives you so much more info. Far better than even the old version of the US site.

I have no idea if this link will work or for how long, but you could try to see if it works:
    Microcat EPC

If it does work, the gen5 Prius has the wrong image attached for USA. Look for the black gen4 with (2022 - ) underneath.

#5 Hammersmith, Aug 19, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2023
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Is it worth $500 to you? If so, looks like it's doable.

7. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You're amazing! How does the EU Toyota site work? Does it actually give you diagrams or is it only parts numbers only?

I looked around with no subscription but didn't seem evident where I would go look for it. I'm also trying to find the diagrams to see if I can work my way around some stuff. For example, $500 for the center tail light seems outrageous. I was wondering how it's attached together and see if I could add, say, a led light bar in the lens and see if it functions the same. I have a base Prime and trying to see what options I can add that isn't too expensive and plug and play, for the most part.

I didn't even know it was supposed to have footwell lights! I was referring to the ambient light in the XSE and Limited on the colored trim that flash when there's alerts. The 1h subscription works till you close the window then? I might try planning a time where I can look up most of the stuff I want.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see you actually posted the diagrams in PDF format. Thank you!

8. Chimera1978

Chimera1978 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    That's the one thing I liked about the non-Prime I test drive was the blue light bar on the interior. I am assuming it is probably just a could of LEDs to switch out to change the ref to blue...? Anybody have any idea?

9. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Ahh, I forgot the base trim doesn't have the light strip. Those are about $1000 MSRP for the pair, and $700ish after discounts. I've got a red Limited and considered swapping from the blue light just to tie everything together(I prefer the blue by itself, but thought the red would look better with the red body color). That consideration lasted until I saw the price tag and that it's probably bonded to the trim right below it(I wanted to keep the silver carbon fiberish trim instead of switching to the copper colored one on the Prime).

I'm not positive which set is the red and which is the blue.
    55012-47010-C0 - LH - $231.38 MSRP - $159.98 Lewis
    55011-47030-C0 - RH - $713.28 MSRP - $493.14 Lewis

55012-47010-C1 - LH - $231.38 MSRP - $159.98 Lewis
    55012-47030-C1 - RH - $713.28 MSRP - $493.14 Lewis

There're two halves to the Toyota system. First, there's the TIS that gives users instructions on how to remove and install parts(and lots of other stuff like TSBs). You can get this through the US site or the Europe site. TIS is really useful, but it's not good for finding part numbers or other options. The second half is the parts system. This gives the part diagrams and part numbers, but not instructions.

Paying for access to the US Toyota tech site gives you access to TIS but not the parts system. Paid access to the Europe site gives you access to both, but is significantly more expensive, especially for a yearly subscription.

US TIS website: https://techinfo.toyota.com/t3Portal/
    Europe website: https://www.toyota-tech.eu/

To get to the subscription price page on the European website, create a user profile(free) then try to access any part of the paid section. The parts system is called the Electronic Parts Catalogue and is found in the Repair section.
    Some of the prices are: (in euros)
    1hr - €4
    2hr - €8
    3hr - €11
    4hr - €15
    1day - €20
    1wk - €87
    1mo - €290
    1yr - €2900

Nowadays, I pay for an hour and don't close the browser window. I usually get at least a few hours out of it or even a full day. At least for the parts catalogue.

Chimera1978 likes this.
  10. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    See my post above. Pretty pricy unless you want to swap. lol

I've got the blue but would rather have the red to match my paint. The problem is that the light is not a separate part. It's attached to that whole piece of trim. Probably even glued.

Here are the images from the repair manual on the two parts. You can see it wouldn't be all that fun to swap the parts. These are steps 16 and 21 respectively.
    LH Trim.png RH Trim.png

#10 Hammersmith, Aug 20, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2023
  11. Chimera1978

Chimera1978 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Yeah would be interesting to see how hard it is. I'm not ready to take a chance on breaking glued parts.

12. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I edited my post above to show the level of disassembly you need to go to.

13. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for all the information! I'll try it out shortly and see what I can get out of it.

For the ambient light, 1K is insane. Is LH/RH Left and Right sides or Left Hand drive and Right Hand drive?

I do like this idea:

He added the LED to his SE by tapping on the connector. I might go that route but might prefer to find the actual female connector to see if I can make it more plug and play instead of a tap. It looks a lot like the mirror one but I am not 100% sure. If anyone knows, feel free to share!
    It seems to work only on 6v which really limits the options for LEDs.
    In your case, you could probably disconnect the old ones and put blue ones on top (or a different color). I still can't believe it's 1K for that option.

14. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    If you're ever interested in swapping parts, let me know. I'll send all the Toyota TIS instructions if you plan to do it yourself.

Note #1: The reddish trim right below the light strip is part of the garnish, so that would also be swapped for the gray one.
    Note #2: I think the car will be drivable with the garnishes removed for the few days our parts would be in transit to each other, but it would be a little janky. Among other things, the climate control panel would just be laying in the dash, not screwed/clipped into anything.

This offer is also for anyone else with a Prime that would rather have the blue LED over the red. In a vacuum, I prefer the blue, but the red would look better with my red paint. I'm open to anyone willing to trade.

I'd also be up for swapping seats if someone in the midwest had a Prime XSE Premium and didn't like the red/orange accents, but that's a bigger can of worms. The front seats aren't that bad, but the back seat is an issue because it also has red stitching but it's not swappable between HEV & PHEV.

15. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That part number is for the whole light-bar lamp. I believe you only need to buy two LED bulbs, not the whole lamp, to upgrade LE/SE to a lighting light bar, which are like $35 each.

#15 Gokhan, Sep 24, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
  16. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    That post had literally every bit of information you needed. If you don't want to believe it, that's up to you. What I see is that there are four different rear lenses. (red unlit, clear unlit, red lit, clear lit). Plus there are two bulbs for the lit lenses. If there were really no differences between the lit and unlit versions, then there would be only two part numbers, not four.

And each LED is $83.81 MSRP, so I don't know where you're getting the $35 from.

17. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There is hardly enough information in that post, which seems to show a single part number each for HEV and PHEV. If the LE/SE have different lamps, then of course you would need the whole lamp, assuming that you have a socket to plug it in in LE/SE.

18. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    There are diagrams with the part numbers for both versions in the same post.

Looking at it, I think you might need a new Toyota badge for the replacement lens too. Doesn't come with it, and doubt you can transfer the old one.

Also intrigued by the 87B68 (2305-) strip. Extra part in more recent cars for a bit more protection? Guess you'd get that if you ordered a new assembly.

19. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    OK, I see the different part numbers for the LE/SE and higher trims for the center taillight in the PDF files.

However, this doesn't mean that they are different. The only difference could be that one comes with LED bulbs and the other one comes without LED bulbs. Some owner with and LE/SE needs to open and check for holes for LED bulbs or lack of them.

This is the part number for the light-bar LED bulbs. It is $58.96 and you need two. It is not clear if there are holes in the LE/SE center reflector to put them in:

LED, socket | Toyota part # 81965-46010

20. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't think so - the diagram seems to show that the LED bulbs are not supplied with that part - they're shown shown outside the 81581H box, not inside it.

I seem to recall diagram(s?) showing the inside of that part, possibly from the repair manual. They might show what the difference is.

BTW, I had a close look at my tailgate, and I think can see that 87B68 (2305-) strip - there's a piece of rubber sealing a gap between the plastic and the metalwork.