1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

passenger air bag light weight requirement?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by thehabs, Nov 10, 2011.

1. thehabs

thehabs New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I have not found an answer to this elsewhere, so am tossing this out to all of you for consideration: My wife weighs about 100 pounds. Quite often, when she gets into the passenger seat, the air bag light will not come on. She usually must position her legs/body a certain way and eventually it will come on; at times, she has had to get out of the car & get back into the seat and I must turn the car off and back on for it to illuminate. Anyone else experience this sort of issue? Anyone know what the weight requirement is for the air bag light to work?

2010 Prius

Thanks!

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    79.3 lbs is the cutoff. Has she tried holding her purse in her lap? Being seated cross-legged before you start the car?

3. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does this suggest aproblem with the sensor? a bag of shopping will activate my sensor.

4. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    And that's 79.3 lbs on the seat, if that's not obvious. If she's putting 20 lbs of weight on her feet, that'd do it. Also, it looks like there's an allowable uncertainty of ±7 lbs or so - so the cutoff is really more like 72-86 lbs.

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm guessing the American version is less sensitive than the Euro/Japanese versions as mine too will activate with something like a small bag of shopping or even a laptop bag.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Out of curiosity, do you have a source for this # as well as any additional criteria like the distribution of the weight? Do you know of some FMVSS that specifies the requirement succinctly?

(I only ask because I recall trying to look into this a year or two ago since my mom claims that sometimes in her 07 NAH, when certain people sit in the passenger seat, the passenger airbag deactivated light comes on.)

7. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's in the service manual.

To check calibration, the zero point calls for putting steel weights in the front seat. I used a 5 gallon bucket of hydraulic fluid on a friend's '07 a few months ago.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Don't put anything under the seat. A purse or other object can lift the seat, preventing the weight sensor from functioning.

Tom

9. Yogi56

Yogi56 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The gen 3 air bag light directly in the psgr line of sight. Bad design for night driving. Had my window tinter put limo tint over it.